PDA

View Full Version : How do you check the air-conditioner condenser fan *on 1992 GQ?

Jonesy_sa
21st November 2016, 03:01 PM
Hi guys
How do you check the AC condenser fan? Should it operate with ignition and AC on but engine not running? Do they cut in and out or run the whole time? I have the workshops downloadable from the usual forums but could not see the fan mentioned in the wiring diagrams etc.
Any ideas?
Thanks

mudnut
21st November 2016, 09:48 PM
Dunno. Have been looking for info for you in the manuals. Is it an after market set up or a thermo fan? The only reference I have found is a picture of a fan with a cowling near the condenser. I think it is referring to the radiator fan.

Yendor
22nd November 2016, 12:58 PM
It depends on what A/C system was fitted. The dealer fitted system, the condenser fan was wired via a temperature/pressure switch fitted in the A/C receiver dryer mounted behind the driver side headlight.

The condenser fan would only turn on when the engine was running, A/C was on and if the temperature/pressure went above a set amount.

mudnut
22nd November 2016, 01:44 PM
Found a reference to it in the Haynes manual. 12-28. Cheers, Yendor.

jay see
22nd November 2016, 03:54 PM
This has popped up at the right time.

Went out to burp my system. Turned on the a/c to replicate yesterday (minus about 20 degrees) and after a minute or so the a/c fan started to cut in and out every 10 seconds. I know that that fan is controlled my the a/c and the temp, so it should have been going continuous, also touched the aluminium pipe that goes to the condenser and it was hot. How hot is it meant to be. What else should I be looking at.

Could it be low on gas (pressure) causing the fan to cut in/out?

During yesterdays drive the a/c was never blowing hot air was working as normal.

mudnut
22nd November 2016, 05:39 PM
The condenser (high pressure side of the pump) is supposed to be hot. There is a sight glass in the system. You should see some bubbles that pretty well clear up, except when the pump drops in and out. My A/C drops in and out to keep the unit at the right temp, but there is no fan on the condenser. The HA section of the original workshop manual has a thorough explanation on what to look for in the sight glass. The Haynes manual says that if the sight glass shows the refrigerant is foamy, then the gas is low. On hot days bubbles may be present. It says it should show bubbles then clear.

Yendor
22nd November 2016, 06:16 PM
This has popped up at the right time.

Went out to burp my system. Turned on the a/c to replicate yesterday (minus about 20 degrees) and after a minute or so the a/c fan started to cut in and out every 10 seconds. I know that that fan is controlled my the a/c and the temp, so it should have been going continuous, also touched the aluminium pipe that goes to the condenser and it was hot. How hot is it meant to be. What else should I be looking at.

Could it be low on gas (pressure) causing the fan to cut in/out?

During yesterdays drive the a/c was never blowing hot air was working as normal.

What fan? is it the condenser fan on a GU?

If so, it is normal for the condenser fan to cycle with the A/C compressor and depending on conditions like ambient temperature, interior fan speed and cabin temperature, cycling every 10 seconds is possible.

If the A/C is still working as normal I doubt the system is low on gas.

jay see
22nd November 2016, 07:31 PM
What fan? is it the condenser fan on a GU?

If so, it is normal for the condenser fan to cycle with the A/C compressor and depending on conditions like ambient temperature, interior fan speed and cabin temperature, cycling every 10 seconds is possible.

If the A/C is still working as normal I doubt the system is low on gas.
Yes condenser fan GU.

I've never seen/heard the fan do that before. It's rather been on or not.
Will check again with different ambient temperatures.

Thanks guys.

dom14
23rd November 2016, 05:27 PM
It depends on what A/C system was fitted. The dealer fitted system, the condenser fan was wired via a temperature/pressure switch fitted in the A/C receiver dryer mounted behind the driver side headlight.

The condenser fan would only turn on when the engine was running, A/C was on and if the temperature/pressure went above a set amount.

Mine never comes on. It is connected to the receiver/dryer by the looks of it, to be triggered from there.
May be I also have a dud receiver/dryer.

dom14
23rd November 2016, 05:28 PM
The condenser (high pressure side of the pump) is supposed to be hot. There is a sight glass in the system. You should see some bubbles that pretty well clear up, except when the pump drops in and out. My A/C drops in and out to keep the unit at the right temp, but there is no fan on the condenser. The HA section of the original workshop manual has a thorough explanation on what to look for in the sight glass. The Haynes manual says that if the sight glass shows the refrigerant is foamy, then the gas is low. On hot days bubbles may be present. It says it should show bubbles then clear.

Mine has a fan and there're clear signs it(the fan) is an aftermarket addition.
I've never seen it's running.

Yendor
23rd November 2016, 05:36 PM
Mine never comes on. It is connected to the receiver/dryer by the looks of it, to be triggered from there.
May be I also have a dud receiver/dryer.

The receiver dryer is just a pressure switch so I doubt that would be your problem. More then likely a faulty fan or wiring problem.

I have seen when A/C guys do a service on the A/C system and replace the dryer they sometimes use a dryer with only two electrical connections instead of four. So the fan gets left disconnected.

dom14
24th November 2016, 12:56 AM
The receiver dryer is just a pressure switch so I doubt that would be your problem. More then likely a faulty fan or wiring problem.

I have seen when A/C guys do a service on the A/C system and replace the dryer they sometimes use a dryer with only two electrical connections instead of four. So the fan gets left disconnected.

Fan is good. It works if I give directo 12v.
I think the wiring/trigger mechanism is gone dud somewhere.