PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal?

dom14
18th November 2016, 07:22 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm installing a permanent vacuum gauge on the dash with the hope of giving me a better
idea about what's happening inside the engine.

My idea is to fit it on the top of the dash.
But, I'm wondering whether it's legal and whether I get into trouble doing that.

I need to be able to see the gauge without having to turn my head or take my eyes off the road completely for
too long. Also, since there's a vacuum hose goes out of the rear of the gauge, the fitting spot must accommodate that without having to make a mess get the vacuum hose through the fire wall.

Did I get the spot right? Are there other spots I can fit it, with the above needs in mind(legal and practical)?

Thanx in advance for any advice.

P.S. First photo is with the extra cosmetic case and the second one is without.
Case makes it look nicer, but I think not necessary for the function of protection of the gauge.

mudski
18th November 2016, 07:31 PM
I would say its ok, but it would depend on the cop I suppose. They seem to make up, or bend and stretch the rules when it suits. But check out VSB14, the info you need may be in this.

dom14
18th November 2016, 07:44 PM
I would say its ok, but it would depend on the cop I suppose. They seem to make up, or bend and stretch the rules when it suits. But check out VSB14, the info you need may be in this.

Thanx mate.

I can always take it to a court if I believe the cop is going out of his way.
(I always stand on my knees when I talk to a cop. :D )
I've seen guys installing series of gauges like this on top of the dash, but I think there're some rules that we need to stick with.
VSB14 is a fair bit go through. :)
I was hoping blokes here might know about how to install these gauges on the dash in way to stay out of trouble with cops.

I've been wondering exactly what they are.

Cheers
Dom

MudRunnerTD
18th November 2016, 08:00 PM
I have 4 gauges there. They are not affecting your line of sight so all good.

dom14
18th November 2016, 09:00 PM
I have 4 gauges there. They are not affecting your line of sight so all good.

Thanx mate.
Any chance you can direct me to how to install it without making a mess on the dash?
A photo or a link would be great.
I'm attaching the vacuum hose to a redundant port on the manifold, just under the carby.
I'm not sure about the best spot to get it through the firewall though.
The designated firewall hole toward the end of the driver's side(next to the brake booster) seems like
bit too far of a route. Is there any other safe spot to push the hose through safely?
Do I need to drill a hole on the top of the dash to get it to the gauge on the dash?
Or can I squeeze the hose through the vents between the windscreen and the dash?
Thanx
Cheers
Dom

dom14
18th November 2016, 09:10 PM
I found this thread.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?29522-running-gauge-wires-behind-the-dash-can-it-be-done

dom14
18th November 2016, 09:20 PM
This is a nice looking one, but a bit pricey for a dashboard pod.

http://www.consoles.com.au/Nissan_GQ_pods.htm

mudnut
18th November 2016, 09:44 PM
This one might suit. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?37973-Gq-five-gauge-dash-pod&highlight=dash

dom14
18th November 2016, 09:55 PM
This is an economical solution for three gauges(52mm).
Though it appears being straight doesn't help. The gauge holes should've been angled.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/52mm-2-Vehicle-Car-Dashboard-Gauge-Meter-Cup-Pod-Mount-Holder-Triple-Three-Hole-/141644297752?hash=item20faa87618:g:oFsAAOSwPgxVNiM i

NissanGQ4.2
18th November 2016, 10:30 PM

I'm sure you could make one of these yourself dom14

dom14
18th November 2016, 10:41 PM
I'm sure you could make one of these yourself dom14

Yeah, I agree. $300 is a massive highway robbery.
The maker of that pod was dreaming. ;) :D

MudRunnerTD
18th November 2016, 10:58 PM

http://www.consoles.com.au/Nissan_GQ_pods.htm

Nah that is hideous and HUGE. I will find a pic in my build for you mate. I had a stand bent up as a mount so all my wires run under my mount on top of the dash. No holes.

MudRunnerTD
18th November 2016, 11:04 PM
OK next installment.

During the build i was initiated into the world of 12volt and vehicle electrics for the first time, I had always had someone around me that knew there stuff and sorted out that stuff for me....not this time.

I figured it cant be that hard can it??? its only 2 bloody wires! For the kind of stuff i need to do this rule is true, yes it can get far more difficult but not my thing.

So first up, i wanted to fit up some gauges to the GQ, so i asked around and finally settled on mounting them in the centre of the dash. I had a base bent up and i painted it then set about installing a set of gauges from scratch.

They are... Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Exhaust Temp, Turbo Boost. Here is some pics of how they came up.

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20gauges%20and%20stuff/IMG_0378.jpg?t=1279634265

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20gauges%20and%20stuff/IMG_0322.jpg?t=1279634265

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20gauges%20and%20stuff/IMG_0377.jpg?t=1279634265

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20gauges%20and%20stuff/IMG_0416.jpg?t=1279634374

This is from my build thread for the GQ in the first couple of pages. I took a couple of wires out the back of the speedo pod and it works great. Easy to read.

dom14
18th November 2016, 11:48 PM
That's pretty cool looking setup.
Basically I need a mat to cover up the wires & hoses going into the gauges.

MudRunnerTD
19th November 2016, 07:09 AM
That's pretty cool looking setup.
Basically I need a mat to cover up the wires & hoses going into the gauges.

All my wires are on top of the mat but under my mounting plate. I can't remember why I left the mat there now to be honest. It's a long time ago. I already had the mat though.

NissanGQ4.2
19th November 2016, 07:49 AM
Nah that is hideous and HUGE.

I have one similar Daz............ best part of my Patrol........... :)

Looks home made 2 me, was given 2 me so don't know it is or not

threedogs
19th November 2016, 11:00 AM
I have a triple pod with gauges on top in the centre and have no line of sight problems
The Police dont like gauges like the hoons have outside at the rear of the bonnet.
Hoons with pillar pods are in for trouble too.
I think the law is 11mtrs from the drivers line of sight, my larger scoop is no
prob along with the 3 gauge pod and pillar pod, think Ive measured mine at 8mtrs

dom14
19th November 2016, 04:28 PM
All my wires are on top of the mat but under my mounting plate. I can't remember why I left the mat there now to be honest. It's a long time ago. I already had the mat though.

Thanx mate.
Ok, cool. The mat's not used to hide the wires and make it look nicer.
Where do the wires lead to from under the mounting plate?
How did you manage to hide the wires without having to drill?
Thanx

dom14
19th November 2016, 04:34 PM
I have a triple pod with gauges on top in the centre and have no line of sight problems
The Police dont like gauges like the hoons have outside at the rear of the bonnet.
Hoons with pillar pods are in for trouble too.
I think the law is 11mtrs from the drivers line of sight, my larger scoop is no
prob along with the 3 gauge pod and pillar pod, think Ive measured mine at 8mtrs

I didn't understand the "11 meters" from line of sight requirement mate.

BTW, the reason I wanted to make sure is that while ago I read posts in a thread where a guy was booked for having these dashboard gauges. But, I am not sure that's the reason he was booked. He was probably booked for something else.

dom14
19th November 2016, 04:37 PM
I have one similar Daz............ best part of my Patrol........... :)

Looks home made 2 me, was given 2 me so don't know it is or not

Yeah, this is the same unit I think the guy was selling for $330.
I think if this pod is ok, then gauge pods shouldn't have any problems at all.
Cheers
Dom

threedogs
19th November 2016, 05:04 PM
I didn't understand the "11 meters" from line of sight requirement mate.

BTW, the reason I wanted to make sure is that while ago I read posts in a thread where a guy was booked for having these dashboard gauges. But, I am not sure that's the reason he was booked. He was probably booked for something else.

Line of sight ,,,, in your normal sitting position the minimum distance you should see
is 11mtr,,,,mark a spot in front of the patrol straight line from your eyes ,,,top of bull bar
See pic

NissanGQ4.2
19th November 2016, 05:16 PM
Yeah, this is the same unit I think the guy was selling for $330.
I think if this pod is ok, then gauge pods shouldn't have any problems at all.
Cheers
Dom

Just remember the golden rule........... just because someone makes them doesn't make them legal

dom14
19th November 2016, 08:25 PM
Line of sight ,,,, in your normal sitting position the minimum distance you should see
is 11mtr,,,,mark a spot in front of the patrol straight line from your eyes ,,,top of bull bar
See pic

Thanx for the sketch mate.
If this is the case, then these gauge pods shouldn't bee a problem at all, 'cos they are way below the line of sight and does NOT
obstruct anything other than the possibility of blocking the part of the bonnet near the windscreen.

dom14
19th November 2016, 08:30 PM
Just remember the golden rule........... just because someone makes them doesn't make them legal

True.

Though unless somebody is a serious midget with a serious torso and neck shortness disability, I can't see how this pods can obstruct the line of sight. :)
I'm a five and half foot midget myself. Pods can only block a fraction of the bonnet from my line of sight. :)

The above bulky pod appears to be blocking the view in front of the car, but I think that 'cos of the angle.
If we look at it from the drivers seat, I reckon it's quite ok.

Cheers
Dom

MB
19th November 2016, 09:39 PM
G'day Dom mate :-)
My apologies, haven't backtracked your thread here properly but from its title seems that the Legendary advice I've read elsewhere on here may help you too. 'Simply type ADR + question into Google and download the PDF'
This was my quick novice effort below on your quandary, haven't read it yet :-)
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2008C00179

dom14
20th November 2016, 11:33 AM
G'day Dom mate :-)
My apologies, haven't backtracked your thread here properly but from its title seems that the Legendary advice I've read elsewhere on here may help you too. 'Simply type ADR + question into Google and download the PDF'
This was my quick novice effort below on your quandary, haven't read it yet :-)
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2008C00179

Thanx mate.
I had a quick scan. A careful read may be necessary for me to find the relevant rules about dashboard pods.
Cheers.
Dom