PDA

View Full Version : Recovery by Chain & Keep clay off stuff

10G
18th November 2016, 02:06 PM
Was watching Youtube clips last night.

This bloke said he had used 50 - 100 tent pegs through a piece of chain that was attached to his winch strap to winch himself out when there was nothing to winch off.

Has anybody else done that?? I can see how it would work, but I can also see how it wouldn't work. Sounds like a bloody good idea though.

He also said if you use non stick frypan spray stuff like Pure & Simple for example, the mud comes off your maxtrax and boots etc much easier. Anyone tried that???

nissannewby
18th November 2016, 02:12 PM
We use to use silicon spray on the plastics (mud guards) of our motocross bikes to stop the mud sticking. This was for both cleaning purposes and weight saving. The mud would stick real good if you didnt use the spray and would add 5-10kg of weight.

threedogs
18th November 2016, 02:17 PM
who carries 50-100 tent pegs with out 4x4ing ?????pml

the evil twin
18th November 2016, 02:20 PM
Dunno about the spray but makes sense sama sama as nissannewby mentions.

The chain and pegs is what is known as a self equalising anchor (sort of)... you can do the same with a few small trees or shrubs if a big old tree isn't available or some star pickets or whatever.

Done correctly a good self equaliser is suprisingly strong IE the whole is greater than the sum of the parts

Plasnart
18th November 2016, 02:31 PM
Dunno about the spray but makes sense sama sama as nissannewby mentions.

The chain and pegs is what is known as a self equalising anchor (sort of)... you can do the same with a few small trees or shrubs if a big old tree isn't available or some star pickets or whatever.

Done correctly a good self equaliser is suprisingly strong IE the whole is greater than the sum of the parts

I carry 3 star pickets about 500mm long when outback for this very purpose. Never used them though and would be useless in sand or mud. Would need to have solid compact ground in which case the chances of stranding are low. Come to think of it, why do I bother carrying these?? Hahaha

macca
18th November 2016, 02:38 PM
who carries 50-100 tent pegs with out 4x4ing ?????pml

Eggzakery!

mudnut
18th November 2016, 02:38 PM
The spare tyre buried, is good for sand, but have no idea how it would go in mud though. I have seen a video of star pickets being used.

Not the video I have seen before, but there is a bit of useful info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnOaL8WYijM

threedogs
18th November 2016, 02:39 PM
Eggzakery!

My bad how silly "The Peg Man " does Doh

threedogs
18th November 2016, 02:44 PM
The spare tyre buried, is good for sand, but have no idea how it would go in mud though. I have seen a video of star pickets being used.

I'm thinking all these "fixers" were when everyone went outback in a land rover.
With modern car reliability and the huge amount of recovery gear available and
the roads that we can travel in 2016 I think a total standing would be nearly nil
especially seeing you should at least travel in pairs,,,,excluding back packers lol

mudnut
18th November 2016, 02:51 PM
You are probably right, but I have been stuck, a long time ago, because I got curious about where a track went and was caught out. If I had known of these methods I may have been able to get out, instead of the 6 k hike, and having to get recovered the next day.

MudRunnerTD
18th November 2016, 02:53 PM
I carry 3 star pickets about 500mm long when outback for this very purpose. Never used them though and would be useless in sand or mud. Would need to have solid compact ground in which case the chances of stranding are low. Come to think of it, why do I bother carrying these?? Hahaha

during my 2010 trip through the Centre it was Wet as a Shag mate. i was towing the Camper alone and although i did not get stuck (Go the KL71s) but those 3 Star Pickets would have been bloody handy that trip for sure.. Great little Ground Anchor. Compact. Might add 3 to my kit.

threedogs
18th November 2016, 02:56 PM
You are probably right, but I have been stuck, a long time ago, because I got curious about where a track went and was caught out. If I had known of these methods I may have been able to get out, instead of the 6 k hike, and having to get recovered the next day.

I think we all have a similar story, where the 4x4 was in gear but the brain wasnt.
Personally stuck halfway up a hill with another broken 4x4 and a motorbike ,
very long day stuck at 1 lunchtime in the swags at 2 in the morning lol lol

10G
18th November 2016, 03:05 PM
I'm thinking all these "fixers" were when everyone went outback in a land rover.
With modern car reliability and the huge amount of recovery gear available and
the roads that we can travel in 2016 I think a total standing would be nearly nil
especially seeing you should at least travel in pairs,,,,excluding back packers lol

Yeah, nah.

In our recent trip we got stuck in some excellent sludgey clay crap. Nothing to winch off, only saltbush and shrubs. But about 10-20 metres in front the track was solid, we could have used something to bang into that track and we would have been out.

I fair dinkum used all the tricks I could think of and they all failed.

Why 3 star pickets? Do they get banged into the ground a particular way???

threedogs
18th November 2016, 03:07 PM
Years ago a guy made a 1mtr piece of flat with a 4.6 shackle at one end and angled 50 x50 x 3 RHS
to place some star pickets in ,
easy enough to make IMO

threedogs
18th November 2016, 03:08 PM
Yeah, nah.

In our recent trip we got stuck in some excellent sludgey clay crap. Nothing to winch off, only saltbush and shrubs. But about 10-20 metres in front the track was solid, we could have used something to bang into that track and we would have been out.

were you travelling solo ???

10G
18th November 2016, 03:21 PM

Not the video I have seen before, but there is a bit of useful info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnOaL8WYijM

Hey great video mudnut. I love this sort of thing. I'm going to look into a 3 'stick' setup of some sort. The hardest bit will be knocking them into the ground.

Thanks guys.

10G
18th November 2016, 03:26 PM
were you travelling solo ???

Yeah, we were. The tracks were good quality, I just didn't go wide enough around a bog hole PLUS I reckon the damn traction control was on.

We dug, pushed, winched (ripped everything out of the ground), swore and freaked out for about 2.5 hours. Worst bit was the area was expecting about 1" of rain that day and we could see the rain clouds approaching. The area was already saturated and that extra 1" would have sealed our fate without doubt.

We got pulled out by 2 German tourists in an old 110. Absolute luck that was.

Plasnart
18th November 2016, 03:26 PM
Yeah, nah.

Bang them in angled away from the vehicle and spaced about a metre from each other (in line with the vehicle). Connect pickets with chain or something strong and winch off the star picket closest to the vehicle. The connection between pickets will distribute the load evenly across the pickets and out you come. That's the theory anyway. Personally never had to try it.

10G
18th November 2016, 03:38 PM
Bang them in angled away from the vehicle and spaced about a metre from each other (in line with the vehicle). Connect pickets with chain or something strong and winch off the star picket closest to the vehicle. The connection between pickets will distribute the load evenly across the pickets and out you come. That's the theory anyway. Personally never had to try it.

Thanks plasnart, I just started watching the videos mudnut sent. It looks like a great idea & simple.

mudnut
18th November 2016, 03:39 PM
I would be in big trouble trying to dig or bang the pickets in, so driving with others is the only way for me these days. Getting the pickets out would be a pain. We have an old bent hi lift jack and the right sized bit of chain. We use an old screwdriver or bolt through the picket and loop the bit of chain to a shackle through the hole in the jack.

threedogs
18th November 2016, 03:49 PM
Yeah, we were. The tracks were good quality, I just didn't go wide enough around a bog hole PLUS I reckon the damn traction control was on.

We dug, pushed, winched (ripped everything out of the ground), swore and freaked out for about 2.5 hours. Worst bit was the area was expecting about 1" of rain that day and we could see the rain clouds approaching. The area was already saturated and that extra 1" would have sealed our fate without doubt.

We got pulled out by 2 German tourists in an old 110. Absolute luck that was.

similar storing in outback SA working on the Khan line south of Marla Bore , foreman says lets go to MT willhouby
RH, Great been raining the FJ45 ute was choosen 3k in down to the diffs 8 hrs digging the guy finally got going .
I yelled at him to keep going and Ill catch up yeah right, he drove 10mtrs got out and raised his arm in joy if thats
what its called after 8 hrs digging in the mud, As he raised his arm the mighty 45 sank down to its axles again GGRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

10G
18th November 2016, 06:14 PM
similar storing in outback SA working on the Khan line south of Marla Bore , foreman says lets go to MT willhouby
RH, Great been raining the FJ45 ute was choosen 3k in down to the diffs 8 hrs digging the guy finally got going .
I yelled at him to keep going and Ill catch up yeah right, he drove 10mtrs got out and raised his arm in joy if thats
what its called after 8 hrs digging in the mud, As he raised his arm the mighty 45 sank down to its axles again GGRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hahahaha. It's great laughing at other peoples pain ;-)

10G
18th November 2016, 06:16 PM
I would be in big trouble trying to dig or bang the pickets in, so driving with others is the only way for me these days. Getting the pickets out would be a pain. We have an old bent hi lift jack and the right sized bit of chain. We use an old screwdriver or bolt through the picket and loop the bit of chain to a shackle through the hole in the lift.

That's given me a headache trying to picture what you're explaining?????

Yeah, I'm with you, getting the pickets out would be a PITA. I reckon digging something into the ground may be easier. Or maybe you can dig the pickets out? Maybe that's what the smart people do, whack 'em in, then dig and wiggle them out???

mudski
18th November 2016, 06:56 PM

Don't worry mate your not alone. Him and Threedogs use the same medication and you can tell when their on it. Lol. Jokes...

Me. I just drive around mud now. I learned my lesson.

threedogs
19th November 2016, 11:11 AM

Yeah, I'm with you, getting the pickets out would be a PITA. I reckon digging something into the ground may be easier. Or maybe you can dig the pickets out? Maybe that's what the smart people do, whack 'em in, then dig and wiggle them out???

The army use hex rods to use instead of star pickets you just twist them using the correct size spanner
and they come out easy.

the evil twin
19th November 2016, 01:49 PM

Yep, pretty much spot on...

All my students have to recover a troopie using this method and also construct a buried spare tyre anchor (dead man) every course as part of their assessment.
My Avatar on another forum is of me getting a 200 series out of a creek out near Kalgoorlie as an Instructer demo (Instructors only get bogged as a demo) with 3 star pickets as the anchor.
The load star pickets will absorb is quite amazing really.
The 'best' anchor method is 3 -2 -1 IE 3 together at the front, 2 approx 1 metre back and 1 about a metre further back again.
Optimum angle is 45 to 60 degrees and to pull 'em out you use the vehicle you rescued attached from the other direction

3-2-1 https://www.google.com.au/search?q=3-2-1+anchor&num=30&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiphpCp7rPQAhUJuI8KHQglDGQQsAQIIQ&biw=1181&bih=919

Spare tyre and revetment https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/2f/3c/3a/2f3c3a9a9fcd6461df80bd121e361e98.jpg

mudnut
19th November 2016, 01:52 PM
That makes a lot of sense, to use the vehicle to recover the pickets,