PDA

View Full Version : Possible "Limp Mode"? (Gutless after start....) 2012 Y61

ChickenNugget
11th November 2016, 06:01 PM
Hi all, hoping I've selected the correct category to post in - I have no idea really as to the model of my Patrol but according to my rego it's a 2012 Y61 Diesel. It's had a few bits and pieces done but that's probably besides the point.

It's just been serviced and had a new clutch put in, so would assume it's operating as well as is to be expected.

Since prior to the service before this one, I've noticed it seems to have an issue where it starts up/turns over fine but is absolutely gutless - until I pull over and restart. Even then it doesn't always resolve immediately.

Usually (actually I think every time....) it has happened after I've been driving around a while - school pickup etc, park (at shops or whatever) and the return to the vehicle, start (in neutral/with clutch engaged) and reverse from the carpark and then put it in first gear try to begin driving. Can immediately sense it's not right - it just has no get up and go.

Took it to the mechanic months ago when it first started happening and he ran a diagnostic but found nothing. (He then did a service...) it's probably happening fortnightly on average.

Any suggestions?

ChickenNugget
11th November 2016, 06:15 PM
Oh - just a thought, the mechanic did something to some emissions thingy at one point or another, if that could be a contributing factor?

Thanks again for anything you can offer suggestions-wise!

mudski
11th November 2016, 06:32 PM
Get yourself a scangauge, this will show up any issues... Poor performance could be a number of things. A dead air flow meter is one of the thing first on the list I would look at.

ChickenNugget
12th November 2016, 12:06 PM
Thanks mudski - would the airflow meter present as an issue so intermittently? It really isn't something that happens super regularly or predictably, but when it happens it's pretty obvious.

mudski
12th November 2016, 01:05 PM
Thanks mudski - would the airflow meter present as an issue so intermittently? It really isn't something that happens super regularly or predictably, but when it happens it's pretty obvious.
Yeah i could be. Not usually but the weather could also affect the maf if its suspect. High humidity etc etc can, not help, the situation.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Hodge
12th November 2016, 02:56 PM
Could also be your rail pressure relief valve. Very similar symptoms happened to me when I had the CRD.

Hodge
12th November 2016, 02:56 PM
Scangauge of some sort is the key. Then you will know what codes you're up against .

Maxhead
12th November 2016, 03:01 PM
I reckon it could be your tps (throttle position sensor)
I had a similar issue and from memory there was a recall on this.
Mine was the same, had to stop and switch off then on and most of the time it was good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk