PDA

View Full Version : Petrol pump modification-redundancy pump(RB30)

dom14
11th November 2016, 01:38 PM
This is how I added an external redundant fuel pump for my RB30 Patrol.(For carby model, not EFI)
I did this after encountering possible few issues with the in tank stock pump.
Replacement pump for the in tank stock pump was around $130, and I thought it's bit too dear.
This external pump is around $20(including postage). Fuel pumping pressure is around 3-4psi, so it's low pressure pumping
that is required for the RB30 Patrol(factory carby model).
This is the pump I used.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Electric-Fuel-Pump-12-volt-Solid-State-4-to-6psi-130-LPH-Petrol-Universal-AU-/131318770921?hash=item1e93356ce9&_uhb=1
I tested the pump and it works pretty well. I fitted it onto the chassis above the tank, very close to original pump plumbing. I attached the supply line from this external pump to long enough fuel hose and wire tied it to the chassis to attach to the petrol supply line, in case in tank pump fails in future.(in tank pump turned out to be ok). +12V and earth connections were tapped from the original connections to the in tank pump & I put an accessible switch to turn on the external pump, when or if it needed in the future.

The pickup plumbing line for the external pump was created out of redundant line on the stock pump assembly.(pictures attached). I also added a fuel strainer for the tank & attached both pump pickup hoses to the same strainer.

P.S.
Even though, I installed the above external pump as a redundancy, it's also a good and cheaper external replacement pump in place of the factory in tank pump. It may even be possible to install the above external pump without having to totally drop the tank.
(Removing rear fittings of the tank and removing the rear driveshaft can help with that).

The only issue is that the internal pickup hose need to be installed in order to be able to pump the petrol from the tank. So, in tank pump/sender assembly removal is still necessary.