PDA

View Full Version : Distance from hub to guard

Mc4by
30th October 2016, 06:13 PM
I would appreciate anyone with a GU (2002) with a 2 inch lift telling me the distance from the middle of the hub to the bottom of the guard.

MB
30th October 2016, 06:46 PM
Give me 10mins mate, I'll go grab a tape from the shed and check Mrs MB's for ya!

MB
30th October 2016, 06:58 PM
580mm rear / 570mm front. (Rear bags currently @ 5psi) Although very heavy WA bar, winch, steps, Titan rear draws, empty Waeco & steel rack to consider mate! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mc4by
30th October 2016, 07:06 PM
I appreciate the effort MB.
I am at 560 front and rear...with Titan drawers in the rear.
The current springs and shocks are old with no obvious markings so no idea what they could be.
I am running 265/75/16 tyres.

AB
30th October 2016, 07:08 PM
I appreciate the effort MB. I am at 560 front and rear...with Titan drawers in the rear. The current springs and shocks are old with no obvious markings so no idea what they could be. I am running 265/75/16 tyres. Sounds like a 2" then which could be sagging a bit with age.

MB
30th October 2016, 07:09 PM
Too easy mate!
These were RidePro's from Patrol Apart about 6 months ago. We put my old Koni 88s I think they are in it too.

Mc4by
30th October 2016, 07:20 PM
Does that mean I need new shocks, new springs or both?

MB
30th October 2016, 07:39 PM
Not sure mate, not much of a mechanic me.
560mm doesn't sound too bad, not much in it really. I'd say springs if anything, some good brand shocks can be redone too!

Mc4by
30th October 2016, 08:20 PM
It can wait a little longer given it's only about 20 mm.
Thanks again for taking the time to measure MB.

MB
30th October 2016, 08:41 PM
No probs!
It's realistically probably only 10mm difference between us because our rear bags at 5psi do still push the arse end up that extra 10mm when no trailer is on.

abw
31st October 2016, 09:16 AM
Well standard is 555mm for front and 560mm back for a GU1 to 3. Mine (2" lift) is 610 up front and 620 back. But mine's a new lift (6 months old).

MB
31st October 2016, 11:22 AM
Well standard is 555mm for front and 560mm back for a GU1 to 3. Mine (2" lift) is 610 up front and 720 back. But mine's a new lift (6 months old).
Cheers ABW,
If that's the Patrol gospel then I think you've helped confirm for me we've bolted on too much steel after ours were installed. At a guess I'd say could be up to 500kg and admittadly does feel a bit boat like on corners. What brand, hardness did you get mate and what sort of additional weight you got fruited up on your beast? As mentioned, I'm no mechanic so keen also to get this right and safe being the Mrs & kids daily driver!
Cheers MB

abw
31st October 2016, 01:19 PM
MB, I'm not sure what coils the installer put in. Just gave him a list of the gear I have, he talked to Dobinsons who supplied the coils. The front was easy...steel bar and winch, so height went up pretty much spot on 2". Rear (wheel carrier, fridge etc), it took 2 goes to get it right. First time the rear sagged 20mm, so took it back, but Dobinson went longer coils (rather than heavier). Now it's spot on, and I've retained plenty of flex..very happy with the result.

I'd recommend sitting down and listing all the gear you have (including steps and rack), then have yack to Dobinsons (or whoever). Be as accurate as you can with weights. A lot of suspension/accessory shops will just veer on the side of caution, and go heavier. Or get the front and rear axles weighed.

A guy I know went to this mob who just did just this..as a result the ride's crap and his truck has bugger all flex.

Yeah, it sounds like your front's sagging pretty bad (not great for handling and braking).

MB
31st October 2016, 01:22 PM
Awesome advice, thanks heaps ABW ;-) !!

MB
31st October 2016, 04:52 PM
Ok, I've been shocked into action here, time to load up the Visa again! Family wagon is urgently booked in for assessment this Friday. My foolish love of chunky steel accessories I have learnt here now was no doubt detrimental to their safety for the last few months. I'm really starting to reassess my choices made now and also considering final legal GVM if we ever manage to fully load up for a descent country crossing. You're a Lifesaver ABW, we thank you for opening my eyes here mate!!
Cheers MB

MB
2nd November 2016, 07:28 PM
Bugger me, quick stop off check, back to the drawing board :-(
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rossco
2nd November 2016, 07:50 PM
Bugger me, quick stop off check, back to the drawing board :-(
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that the scrap metal place next to pinch a part?? Need to go there soon my scrap metal pile is rapidly growing out of control. . .

MB
2nd November 2016, 07:56 PM
Yeah mate, they're certified, but if you're really nice a quick drive in/out may be negotiable ;-)

Rossco
2nd November 2016, 08:07 PM
Was thinking coldstream tip would be a good one too to go over the scales. Might have to do it one day, be interested to see how much the camper is too.

MB
2nd November 2016, 08:10 PM
Not sure if I'd trust their scales mate. Maybe better these days but years ago on multiple daily ute loads the difference was quite confusing to me!

Rossco
2nd November 2016, 08:27 PM
Yeah fair enough, reckon I'd trust the scrap place a bit better. . . It's not too far too go really

jay see
2nd November 2016, 08:37 PM
Well standard is 555mm for front and 560mm back for a GU1 to 3. Mine (2" lift) is 610 up front and 620 back. But mine's a new lift (6 months old).
Cheers bud.
I did take measurements before I stalled my lift, but have no idea what happened to it.

Mind is a 2" lift, but I think it sits higher. Will check..

Mc4by
17th November 2016, 06:22 PM
I appreciate the effort MB.
I am at 560 front and rear...with Titan drawers in the rear.
The current springs and shocks are old with no obvious markings so no idea what they could be.
I am running 265/75/16 tyres.

Got the new suspension installed.
610 front and rear now. I put in the castor bushes and heavy duty steering dampner.
What a difference to the handling and ride.