PDA

View Full Version : 92 GQ on dual fuel... fuel tank somehow keeps increasing capacity?????

Reecey86
27th October 2016, 11:14 AM
Can anyone tell me the fuel tank capacity (approximately) of the 92 GQ - it also has an undermount gas tank....
Since we bought back in march weve never been able to put mote than 30 litres of fuel in it - that was until a couple of weeks ago when i managed to get 40 odd litres into it but low and behold walk around the car to see it pouring out from under the car - wouldve lost around 8-10litres of it.
Today (wasnt watching the bowser was waiting for the click) it has somehow managed to hold 50 litres of fuel and hasnt spilled a drop from anywhere.

Anyone got any idea as to what the resoning for this might be?

taslucas
27th October 2016, 12:08 PM
Could your gauge be faulty?

>>>tappin from tassie

Winnie
27th October 2016, 01:10 PM
Can you put up a pic of your tank?
Most of the time when they do a gas conversion they install a 75L LRA branded fuel tank down the side of the vehicle.

Reecey86
27th October 2016, 05:44 PM
Its not the fuel gauge is faulty but im not going by fuel gauge im going from the litres on the bowser when fill it up.
Cant see the fuel tank theres a plate over it

Makka
27th October 2016, 06:15 PM
how far are you going on 30 liters ??

BigRAWesty
27th October 2016, 06:23 PM
Yea I'm with Winnie.
Gas converted gq's usually had a 75L petrol sub tank fitted..

Reecey86
27th October 2016, 06:34 PM
We get about 200kms to 30litres.

Just not understanding how weve gone from 30 litres to 40 odd but spilling out from somewhere and nw 50litres and not spilling a drop lol

dom14
28th October 2016, 04:03 AM
Can anyone tell me the fuel tank capacity (approximately) of the 92 GQ - it also has an undermount gas tank....
Since we bought back in march weve never been able to put mote than 30 litres of fuel in it - that was until a couple of weeks ago when i managed to get 40 odd litres into it but low and behold walk around the car to see it pouring out from under the car - wouldve lost around 8-10litres of it.
Today (wasnt watching the bowser was waiting for the click) it has somehow managed to hold 50 litres of fuel and hasnt spilled a drop from anywhere.

Anyone got any idea as to what the resoning for this might be?

Blocked breather line or fill line?

BigRAWesty
28th October 2016, 06:38 AM

Just not understanding how weve gone from 30 litres to 40 odd but spilling out from somewhere and nw 50litres and not spilling a drop lol

Blocked breather line or fill line?
I would think a blocked breather line, or a dodge fuel gauge, or a combination of both..

Unfortunately seeing the gq sub is aftermarket there is no hole in the floor to inspect it, so to do anything your probably going to have to drop the tank out.

sooty_10
28th October 2016, 08:03 AM
Dodgy bowser at the servo. Charging you for mare than you are actually physically putting in??

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

taslucas
28th October 2016, 09:06 AM
Its not the fuel gauge is faulty but im not going by fuel gauge im going from the litres on the bowser when fill it up.
Cant see the fuel tank theres a plate over it
How do you know when to fill up? The gauge might be saying empty when it's not empty. My gauge is dodgy and only sits at about 1/3 when the tank is full. If I drive until the gauge goes to empty I have only used about half a tank so if I fill up at that time only 35 ish litres will fit in.

>>>tappin from tassie

mudnut
28th October 2016, 10:55 AM
I'm with Lucas on this one, as the gauge seems to be fluctuating. Since you have dual fuel you need to run the tank dry then fill it up.

Reecey86
28th October 2016, 11:13 AM
Blocked line or dodgy fill line may be possible!
I highly doubt numerous bowsers would be faulty.
As i said i had the issue previously where i had put just over 40litres but it was pouring out underneath - this time its not spilled anything. I dont know if its possible but perhaps theres alot of sedement in the tank that has hardened. Dont know how long the car sat for before we bought it or what its history was prior to that person.

The fuel gauge is faulty however we do not use it to gauge how much fuel we have and it unfortunately cannot tell me how many litres have gone in to it so the fuel fauge is not part the problem.

Tell ya what though.. this car certainly has a few quirks!!

Reecey86
28th October 2016, 11:15 AM
How do you know when to fill up? The gauge might be saying empty when it's not empty. My gauge is dodgy and only sits at about 1/3 when the tank is full. If I drive until the gauge goes to empty I have only used about half a tank so if I fill up at that time only 35 ish litres will fit in.

>>>tappin from tassie

We have reset the trip and run it empty a number of times to see gow many kms we get on petrol alone. When its getting close to 200kms we fill up or when you feel it starting to run out lol

Reecey86
28th October 2016, 11:18 AM
I'm with Lucas on this one, as the gauge seems to be fluctuating. Since you have dual fuel you need to run the tank dry then fill it up.

We have done that a few times 😕

taslucas
28th October 2016, 12:22 PM
Hmm that's interesting. Have you looked under to see what tank you have? As said above, it was common to fit a larger fuel tank along the chassis in the middle of the vehicle when they were converted to dual fuel. You should be able to get a rough guess of the volume

>>>tappin from tassie

dom14
28th October 2016, 04:56 PM

That is exceptionally good fuel economy(petrol?), assuming the figures are correct.

dom14
28th October 2016, 05:02 PM
Blocked line or dodgy fill line may be possible!
I highly doubt numerous bowsers would be faulty.
As i said i had the issue previously where i had put just over 40litres but it was pouring out underneath - this time its not spilled anything. I dont know if its possible but perhaps theres alot of sedement in the tank that has hardened. Dont know how long the car sat for before we bought it or what its history was prior to that person.

The fuel gauge is faulty however we do not use it to gauge how much fuel we have and it unfortunately cannot tell me how many litres have gone in to it so the fuel fauge is not part the problem.

Tell ya what though.. this car certainly has a few quirks!!

After market long range 70 litre petrol tanks still use the original fuel pump/sender unit, but does not yield accurate reading unless you
fiddle with the sender stick by bending it and testing the fuel gauge, until or if you get it right. So the gauge can't be accurate unless it's an aftermarket accurate gauge.

Since you're saying it spilled some petrol, I think you're looking at lowering the tank and find out where it's leaking from and fix it asap.
It's not a good idea to drive a vehicle with a leaky tank.

taslucas
28th October 2016, 09:21 PM
On a side note: When my Tb42s auto was still dual fuel, not tuned very well and me driving hard (very heavy foot lol) on country roads, I was using up to 35 litres per 100 kms. I noticed a massive difference when I converted to petrol only and fitted new plugs (petrol suited) and electronic ignition and tuned the carby. it is possible to run dual fuel a lot more efficiently than I was, as others here will agree, but I decided on straight petrol.

>>>tappin from tassie

dom14
29th October 2016, 12:29 AM
On a side note: When my Tb42s auto was still dual fuel, not tuned very well and me driving hard (very heavy foot lol) on country roads, I was using up to 35 litres per 100 kms. I noticed a massive difference when I converted to petrol only and fitted new plugs (petrol suited) and electronic ignition and tuned the carby. it is possible to run dual fuel a lot more efficiently than I was, as others here will agree, but I decided on straight petrol.

>>>tappin from tassie

It's a personal choice at the end of the day. I prefer the options of dual fuel 'cos LPG generally cuts the half of the fuel cost and when setup and tuned properly, LPG can be better for the engine. LPG isn't that great for outback traveling, so it all comes down to where you go. Your LPG economy of 100km/35L is pretty bad. LPG system was obviously in need of a tune, alone with the carby. LPG works better when you use it with a dedicated LPG mixer/carby rather than a petrol carby. I setup a three tank LPG system to boost the LPG capacity to around 250 litres. That kinda helps with long outback treks with little or no access to LPG.
Diesel is the best choice when you can afford it. :)

taslucas
29th October 2016, 07:33 AM
100km/35l was on petrol. I reckon LPG was higher. Also LPG was about $1.10 a litre here so it wasn't working out very economical. When I set up for dedicated petrol I had more power and used less fuel. But yes, dual can be fine if tuned just right.

>>>tappin from tassie

dom14
29th October 2016, 01:59 PM
100km/35l was on petrol. I reckon LPG was higher. Also LPG was about $1.10 a litre here so it wasn't working out very economical. When I set up for dedicated petrol I had more power and used less fuel. But yes, dual can be fine if tuned just right.

>>>tappin from tassie

Yeah, but 100km/35L is not good fuel economy on petrol either. I mean, whether it's a TB42 or RB30, getting under 3km for a litre of petrol is not good.
Besides, there's not much difference between RB30 & TB42 when it comes to petrol economy, or is there a difference?!
I'm guessing carby TB42's are probably bit thirstier, but should be a fair bit better than 100km/35L, shouldn't it?

Clunk
29th October 2016, 02:11 PM
Yeah, but 100km/35L is not good fuel economy on petrol either. I mean, whether it's a TB42 or RB30, getting under 3km for a litre of petrol is not good.
Besides, there's not much difference between RB30 & TB42 when it comes to petrol economy, or is there a difference?!
I'm guessing carby TB42's are probably bit thirstier, but should be a fair bit better than 100km/35L, shouldn't it?
My old tb42e averaged out at 20l/100, only ever on petrol.... best was 17, worst was alot more......... and to be honest I never bought the thing for its ability to sip fuel

taslucas
29th October 2016, 02:49 PM
Yeah it needed a tune up for sure but I can't emphasise the "heavy foot" enough. The op's figures of 15 litres petrol per 100 are really good.

>>>tappin from tassie

Clunk
29th October 2016, 02:54 PM
Yeah it needed a tune up for sure but I can't emphasise the "heavy foot" enough. The op's figures of 15 litres petrol per 100 are really good.

>>>tappin from tassie

yep thats td42 territory

dom14
29th October 2016, 07:34 PM
yep thats td42 territory

Hmmmm... you should usually get a fair bit more economy from a TD42 than 100km/15L, should it not??!!

dom14
29th October 2016, 07:35 PM

>>>tappin from tassie

I get around 6km/L on petrol on mine(RB30). LPG economy is about the same, except LPG usually cost a fair bit less than petrol(in Melbourne).

Clunk
29th October 2016, 07:42 PM
Hmmmm... you should usually get a fair bit more economy from a TD42 than 100km/15L, should it not??!!
Nope not much more mate, mine sits around 14l/100

taslucas
29th October 2016, 08:20 PM
I get around 6km/L on petrol on mine(RB30). LPG economy is about the same, except LPG usually cost a fair bit less than petrol(in Melbourne).
Sounds like it's about time you put the foot down and see what the Rb has got!

>>>tappin from tassie

dom14
29th October 2016, 09:40 PM
Sounds like it's about time you put the foot down and see what the Rb has got!

>>>tappin from tassie

Yep.
It doesn't give me that much economy on suburban/city driving though, but I rarely use the Patrol as a commuter. It's for trips only, unless I get desperate. I ride a bike for day to day stuff.
I know RB30 is built for revving high to get enough torque to pull through, yet I'm bit skittish when it comes to rev the crap out of it, unless of course i'm pissed off about something(which usually doesn't happen during trekking, :)) :D

dom14
29th October 2016, 09:43 PM
Nope not much more mate, mine sits around 14l/100

Hmmmm.....having a diesel isn't that fuel economical after all! I thought TD42 & RD28 usually gives an economy of
9-12km/L.
May be turbo charged TD42(tuned for economy) gives a better economy?!

Clunk
30th October 2016, 11:05 AM
Hmmmm.....having a diesel isn't that fuel economical after all! I thought TD42 & RD28 usually gives an economy of
9-12km/L.
May be turbo charged TD42(tuned for economy) gives a better economy?!
Mine is turboed and set for economy lol........ big heavy old donks mate, old technology, no fancy elektrikery keeping the usage down

Reecey86
30th October 2016, 01:32 PM
This is TD42, i dont think 200km/35L is too bad for deiving locally and around perth realistically. We want to get the gas decomissioned and put a long range petrol tank in as it doesnt run that well on gas. If we change the fuel tank we wont have the issues we are now - 1 would hope anyway - but until then. The whole thing just has us stumped.
Dobt know where the fuel was leaking from but again it hasnt done it since and i put more in it this time than when it was pouring out.
Its a strange car...

Reecey86
30th October 2016, 01:37 PM
Oops correction TB42 efi

dom14
30th October 2016, 02:16 PM
This is TD42, i dont think 200km/35L is too bad for deiving locally and around perth realistically. We want to get the gas decomissioned and put a long range petrol tank in as it doesnt run that well on gas. If we change the fuel tank we wont have the issues we are now - 1 would hope anyway - but until then. The whole thing just has us stumped.
Dobt know where the fuel was leaking from but again it hasnt done it since and i put more in it this time than when it was pouring out.
Its a strange car...

Mine(RB30 carby) goes pretty well on LPG, and it always has been. I've been having hiccups with petrol from time to time due to carby issues, but a brand new carby can sort that out for sure, which I can't be bothered. That money is better spent on EFI.

taslucas
30th October 2016, 06:32 PM
Oops correction TB42 efi
You had me wondering for a minute there!

>>>tappin from tassie