PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine light keeps lighting up.

Calsonic
24th October 2016, 08:46 PM
Hi all, new to this site but would like some advice if possible.

Just picked up a 2008 GU6. The check engine light came on the day I picked it up. So I took it back to the car yard who had their auto electrician look at it. Now they did not tell me what fault code was logged but the report back from him says they tested for VAC leaks and EGR function and tested the EGR Solenoid and all tested fine.

Their conclusion is that the aftermarket exhaust system is causing the EGR system to log a fault code even though there is nothing wrong. So I picked it up and tonight the light came back on.

Has anyone had this kind of issue with an aftermarket exhaust system? I believe its a 3" system throughout. Should I pay for a second unbiased opinion?
Is there anything I should look at myself to prove or disprove their theory?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff..

Clunk
24th October 2016, 09:03 PM
Presuming this is a 3ltr CRD? Not sure if the 3in pipe would cause to fault code, but hopefully one of the 3trs owners can help........ do you know if its been fitted with an egr blanking plate, if it has then this xould be the cause

4bye4
24th October 2016, 09:48 PM
I think you need to keep at them, after all they have sold a car with a continuing fault code coming up. Yes it could be caused be the aftermarket exhaust but this should be able to be overcome and as clunk suggests it may be a blocked EGR. I think you should get ask what codes are coming up then ask the question again on here. There are heaps of aftermarket exhausts and blocked EGRs around without fault codes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Calsonic
25th October 2016, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the quick advice, I will follow up and if I am not happy with their response I will take it to another Nissan workshop and get a second opinion.

the evil twin
25th October 2016, 11:08 AM
Buy a scan gauge II or equivalent.
No CRD Patrol should be without one.
It will pay for itself in fuel savings alone and allow you to see any fault codes and reset them etc.
It will also show you coolant temp, boost pressure, volts, fuel consumption, etc etc

Specifically for your issue tho, I have never heard of an aftermarket exhaust being the cause of a CEL and fault code and probably 50% of Patrols in Oz are running either a 2.75 or 3 inch zorst.
I would check if the car has had the EGR blocked as that will often cause it tho.

Either way, as it has a warranty it is up to the yard to sort it.