PDA

View Full Version : Who knows about HID lights?

rusty_nail
24th October 2016, 06:09 PM
Hi guys,

I have some CIBIE HID lights for the front of my patrol, it came with them when I bought it. Recently one of the ballasts stopped working and I want to replace it. I have no idea what to look for but I think i need to just match up all the figures right? Here's a picture of the broken one,

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/10/252.jpg

Is there any point getting a branded one or should I just go cheap?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Nic

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Clunk
24th October 2016, 09:53 PM
Ditch em and get new ones

rusty_nail
25th October 2016, 06:06 AM
Far out, don't know what I would do with our you mate!!! Can't believe I didn't think of that haha

taslucas
25th October 2016, 07:21 AM
Definitely want to go the semi sealed water holding upgrade. You won't look back. (will be too busy squinting forward)

>>>tappin from tassie

MudRunnerTD
25th October 2016, 08:04 AM
Hey Nic, if the lights still function ok ie. the reflectors are good and and your happy to keep them id be inclined to grab a replacement kit for it mate. In fact an upgrade could be a 55w or even 75w HID Kit that would go straight into your lights.

Identify the Globe type and buy a kit to suit with a Slim Line Ballast that will fit inside the light housing. The kit for both lights will cost about $50 or so.

Clunk
25th October 2016, 10:09 AM
Far out, don't know what I would do with our you mate!!! Can't believe I didn't think of that haha

You're welcome

the evil twin
25th October 2016, 11:03 AM
Option 1 (approx 20 Ebay Dollars)
Any 35 watt Ballast will do the job.
Replace both tho and keep the old working one as a spare.

Option 2 (approx 45 Ebay Dollars)
Ditch the 35 watt globes and ballast and replace the lot with 55 watt jobbies

rusty_nail
25th October 2016, 12:28 PM
Option 1 (approx 20 Ebay Dollars)
Any 35 watt Ballast will do the job.
Replace both tho and keep the old working one as a spare.

Option 2 (approx 45 Ebay Dollars)
Ditch the 35 watt globes and ballast and replace the lot with 55 watt jobbies
Are the 55w ones much brighter? Both lights definitely still functioning but if I can get much brighter why not lol

Hey Nic, if the lights still function ok ie. the reflectors are good and and your happy to keep them id be inclined to grab a replacement kit for it mate. In fact an upgrade could be a 55w or even 75w HID Kit that would go straight into your lights.

Identify the Globe type and buy a kit to suit with a Slim Line Ballast that will fit inside the light housing. The kit for both lights will cost about $50 or so.

MudRunnerTD
25th October 2016, 06:56 PM
Are the 55w ones much brighter? Both lights definitely still functioning but if I can get much brighter why not lol

Yes they are a fair upgrade. Note your spending the money and the price difference is negligible. I'd fit 55w or75w for sure.

Colour is important. 4500k or 6000k is what your after. The 4500 is a warmer colour than the 6000k light which has a lot more blue light. I have always had 6000k and they have been great. The last set I got 4500k and they seem good but I live in a world of LED light bars now so they where not as impressive. It would be interesting to know what colour an LED Light bar produces?? ET might know that?

PeeBee
25th October 2016, 07:11 PM
Yes they are a fair upgrade. Note your spending the money and the price difference is negligible. I'd fit 55w or75w for sure.

Colour is important. 4500k or 6000k is what your after. The 4500 is a warmer colour than the 6000k light which has a lot more blue light. I have always had 6000k and they have been great. The last set I got 4500k and they seem good but I live in a world of LED light bars now so they where not as impressive. It would be interesting to know what colour an LED Light bar produces?? ET might know that?

Agree Mudrunner. I had a set of Cibie Super Oscars running 75w HID globes. I did a river crossing at night and the water got into the inside despite the rubber boot being in place and the elements popped on the other side after I switched back to High Beam. This is not strictly an issue of fragility, but did push me to a set of the 9" LED driving Lights and they are brighter and better quality of light than the globed version. I run both driving lights with spread beam format. I think the HID lights are a good system however they do draw more current than my LED lights.

Winnie
25th October 2016, 07:47 PM

Depends what you order mate! Most seem to be 5000k or 6000k

Sprock
25th October 2016, 08:15 PM
Just talking to a bloke who told me when they go to car accidents the 1st thing the do is check if it's got HID lights & if so disconnect them cos they run HUGE voltage ? Can't remember what he said now but it spun me out how much , I know blokes that have had 4 X-ray HID lights at about $2500 on the front of their log trucks but can't keep ballasts up to them , they get replaced under warranty but it's an ongoing issue ,a few have ditched them for 9" LED lights & havnt had a drama , might be worth looking into Nico ?

MudRunnerTD
25th October 2016, 08:28 PM

You can choose your colour when ordering generally. There is a big difference so well worth making the right choice. There is a bit of personal preference but 6000k seemed to work well. Apparently 4500k is a better colour in the snow.

Winnie
25th October 2016, 09:01 PM
You can choose your colour when ordering generally. There is a big difference so well worth making the right choice. There is a bit of personal preference but 6000k seemed to work well. Apparently 4500k is a better colour in the snow.
I know all about colour temperatures mate. You asked about what colour a light bar is!

MudRunnerTD
25th October 2016, 09:02 PM
I know all about colour temperatures mate. You asked about what colour a light bar is!

Ha!!! Missed that completely!

rusty_nail
25th October 2016, 09:07 PM
might be worth looking into Nico ?

Yeah down the track for sure but at the moment both the globes are working and they are the expensive part I reckon lol and besides the housing is still in great Knick and when it's working they put out great light. I bought a couple of ballasts for $6 ish and when they die I'll source some LEDs

the evil twin
25th October 2016, 09:08 PM

... most of 'em are black

MudRunnerTD
25th October 2016, 09:13 PM

Interesting, the HID lights on the GQ are 4500k and were underwelming with the LED Light bar. If the light bar colour is 6000k then the 4500k is just a dull underlying colour. So a 6000k globe would be far better suited.

Winnie
26th October 2016, 01:48 AM
It's good to have them all matching. I like 5000k but it's all personal preference.