PDA

View Full Version : To snorkel or not

Mc4by
22nd October 2016, 06:00 PM
I have had a go at the search function and have seen lots of stuff about snorkels, but what I wanted to know is if they are actually necessary.
I assume they are useful if you use your Patrol for a submarine.

GeeYou8
22nd October 2016, 06:03 PM
Picking up cool, clean air up near the top of the vehicle has to be better than getting air around wheel height.
Graham

JME_GU
22nd October 2016, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure what model patrol you have, but my GU has an excellent in-guard air pick up so it is not strictly necessary. However, you can buy a snorkel from ebay for around $75 and you can fit it in an hour or so. That being the case, it really is a good idea to get one.

I have a mate who blew up his dad's TD42 by ingesting water, he claims he was driving through knee deep water at the time but I suspect it might have been a fair bit deeper. Either way, $15k for a blown engine makes $75 for a snorkel look dirt cheap.

Mc4by
23rd October 2016, 12:20 AM
What you say makes sense.... I will start sourcing a snorkel i think.

dom14
23rd October 2016, 12:38 AM
I've been told for ebay prices of $65 delivered, it's not a bad idea to allow the engine breath better, cooler air from the cool breeze outside the car. You might have to tune the engine a bit after the installation.

mudski
24th October 2016, 01:59 PM
Just be careful of those cheap snorkels. I have read stories of them not fitting right and having porous plastic. So not so right.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Cuppa
24th October 2016, 02:13 PM
Just be careful of those cheap snorkels. I have read stories of them not fitting right and having porous plastic. So not so right.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

In addition I’ve read of the components not fitting together as well as they should. If the snorkel is not airtight/watertight it’s pretty pointless. Some here have fitted ebay cheapies & haven’t complained but I’m not sure if they got lucky, had to do some fettling to get a good fit, or if simply some are better than others.

Mc4by
24th October 2016, 02:26 PM
Good point, well received on the cheap snorkels.
I will definitely source a name brand.

dom14
24th October 2016, 02:45 PM
In addition I’ve read of the components not fitting together as well as they should. If the snorkel is not airtight/watertight it’s pretty pointless. Some here have fitted ebay cheapies & haven’t complained but I’m not sure if they got lucky, had to do some fettling to get a good fit, or if simply some are better than others.

Yeah, from what I've heard from the guys, they are not that great on their own, but need bit of fiddling, silicone, etc to get them to fit/seal properly. I haven't bought a one yet, but hoping to get a one soon.
If some of them have porous plastic in them, that would be a bit of a concern though. I'm hoping that issue can be addressed with silicone! If they can get to work properly with a bit of fiddling, then price wise it's not a bad investment, considering brand name one cost around $300-500.

taslucas
24th October 2016, 02:49 PM
Good point, well received on the cheap snorkels.
I will definitely source a name brand.
You could also look into making your own. Quite a few examples about. I love the look of the stainless steel.

>>>tappin from tassie

sooty_10
24th October 2016, 04:38 PM
If your after a GU snorkel there is a couple of genuine nissan ones second hand on ebay at the moment. You can get new template from nizzbits if you need and away you go.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Mc4by
24th October 2016, 05:35 PM
Cheers for that sooty_10
I will have a look after work.

mudnut
24th October 2016, 06:12 PM
My Safari Snorkel leaked due to a moulding fault, but because I sourced it locally, they shipped me a replacement within days.

Ibbo
25th October 2016, 09:12 PM
I went through making the same decision and went with the more expensive safari over eBay option for the afore mentioned reasons and also if it ever gets damaged and needs replacing I know I can get an identical safari but not sure if I would find the identical cheap eBay version. You only want to cut a big hole in your front quarter panel once.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mc4by
25th October 2016, 09:34 PM
Picked up a Safari V spec.
Installing it on Thursday. I was convinced by the sound reasoning of the many....out bush is no place to wish you had spent a few $ more.

Mc4by
27th October 2016, 10:59 PM
Snorkel installed.
Now to find a river....

taslucas
30th October 2016, 12:44 PM
You know the rules, pics or it didn't happen!

>>>tappin from tassie

dom14
30th October 2016, 02:19 PM
You know the rules, pics or it didn't happen!

>>>tappin from tassie

My thought too....:)

Mc4by
30th October 2016, 06:06 PM
Haha what a great rule...
O.K..
A little embarrassing how clean and smooth it is.
That will be rectified soon.

taslucas
30th October 2016, 06:26 PM
Looking good, nothing wrong with having a nice clean rig.

>>>tappin from tassie

mudnut
30th October 2016, 07:00 PM
Looking good, nothing wrong with having a nice clean rig.

>>>tappin from tassie

Yes there is:)

Second pic is my Old Trol after crossing the Surry River (had to go forward as the track we had used was too chopped up). Had water washing over the bonnet. Proof that your purchase of a snorkel is warranted.

taslucas
30th October 2016, 09:07 PM
Oh God it still has that unique flexi pipe set up. How embarrassing!

>>>tappin from tassie

mudnut
30th October 2016, 09:16 PM
I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. All good, Bro, as it just shows a bit of ingenuity. Better than PVC down pipe.

Mc4by
30th October 2016, 09:55 PM
Looking forward to mine looking a bit like that :)

Second pic is my Old Trol after crossing the Surry River (had to go forward as the track we had used was too chopped up). Had water washing over the bonnet. Proof that your purchase of a snorkel is warranted.

dom14
30th October 2016, 11:13 PM
Looking forward to mine looking a bit like that :)

Well.....start crossing rivers while having a "lovely" insurance policy. ;) :D

dom14
30th October 2016, 11:15 PM

What on earth is that half gold/half maroon thing on the first picture???!!!! :D Pretty weird looking!!! :D :))

dom14
30th October 2016, 11:18 PM
Haha what a great rule...
O.K..
A little embarrassing how clean and smooth it is.
That will be rectified soon.

Yep!
Way too clean and tidy for any serious 4WD'ers liking! ;) :D

Mc4by
30th October 2016, 11:27 PM
You raise an interesting issue.
Do we need 'special' insurance to be covered off road?

Well.....start crossing rivers while having a "lovely" insurance policy. ;) :D

dom14
30th October 2016, 11:50 PM
You raise an interesting issue.
Do we need 'special' insurance to be covered off road?

Assuming you're serious, I guess we've discussed this before.
Make sure you read the fine prints on your insurance policy.
If the policy says that you're covered on any legal road/track/property, then it should be ok.
If you trespass a government or private property whether it is accidentally or purposely, don't expect to be covered.
Bastards(insurance companies) don't always honour what they discuss on the phone or in person with ya. :)
I have a golden rule that I've been apparently following........don't trust your insurer. :D
Satellite phone/CB radio is a better insurer than the insurers that charge you monthly or yearly premium :)

Mc4by
31st October 2016, 12:15 AM
Definitely being serious.
I assumed that as i was insuring a 4WD its usage was implied.
I will be checking my policy tomorrow.
This is all new to me.

taslucas
31st October 2016, 06:53 AM
I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. All good, Bro, as it just shows a bit of ingenuity. Better than PVC down pipe.
That was from the previous owner... I fixed it as soon as I could!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/10/305.jpg

>>>tappin from tassie

mudnut
31st October 2016, 11:59 AM
Ohh! Nice shiny stainless.

I've booked into the Dynotune this arvo to re-tune for the snorkel.

mudnut
31st October 2016, 04:01 PM
I haven't stuffed anything by putting the snorkel on. The power output on the dyno was almost exactly the same; 80.7 kw. The dyno guy reckons there will only be a slight increase in induction pressure, but having cool, clean air should give a wee bit of better economy at 100kph.

taslucas
31st October 2016, 04:35 PM
80.7 kW of raw powaaaaaa

>>>tappin from tassie

mudnut
31st October 2016, 04:49 PM
VROOM VROOM almost the same as a tb42 for half the cost:)

taslucas
31st October 2016, 06:52 PM
Tb?

>>>tappin from tassie

mudnut
31st October 2016, 08:35 PM
I dunno. What are they rated at the rear wheels?