PDA

View Full Version : Oil Blow by from rocker cover gasket - How I fixed(RB30 Patrol)

dom14
14th October 2016, 11:57 PM
Hey Guys,

I used Permatex Ultra Grey. I ffilled the groove on the rocker cover edge with the sealant
and squeezed in the rubber gasket. Then I also applied a layer of sealant on the cylinder head edge when rocker
cover sits. I left it for about an hour to cure partially and get "tacky".
Then I fitted it and left it for couple of days to cure properly before starting the engine.

It's been more than a month and no more oil leaks from the rear end of the gasket.

mudnut
15th October 2016, 12:19 AM
Too easy. It is a common problem on the dirty thirty.

dom14
15th October 2016, 01:17 AM
Too easy. It is a common problem on the dirty thirty.

Nah...it was never easy. Until I used Pertamtex Ultra Grey and did a thorough cleaning of the rocker cover edge groove, rubber gasket, cylinder head edges. It was left for two days to cure. That was the key.

dom14
16th October 2016, 10:25 PM
I'm just adding another photo, explaining what did bit further & also added a link to fleabay Permatex Ultra Grey deal(a damn good deal), below.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-TUBS-of-PERMATEX-ULTRA-GREY-ENGINE-GASKET-MAKER-RTV-SILICONE-99G-IN-EACH-TUB-/191785551094?hash=item2ca74f44f6:g:pMoAAOSwFqJWnJE q

Years of intense suffering has come to end for me and the engine exterior from the blow-by oil leaks. :D
It looks like it's holding up for good for long time. :)

P.S. The rocker cover in the photo isn't mine. The "splash plate" is. :)

Oversize
28th November 2016, 09:12 AM
Hi guys n gals, this is my problem with my 1998 RD28. Before I take the rocker cover off, does anyone know what the story is with the engine setting to put the cover back on? It has a 'vacuum pump?' on top.

dom14
28th November 2016, 02:10 PM
Hi guys n gals, this is my problem with my 1998 RD28. Before I take the rocker cover off, does anyone know what the story is with the engine setting to put the cover back on? It has a 'vacuum pump?' on top.

Open a new thread to discuss your issue. You get the attention that way.

Oversize
28th November 2016, 05:48 PM
Thanks Dom14, Thought I would attract the attention of those in the know! Shall try a new post.