PDA

View Full Version : Handheld UHF

Skitzyrex
14th October 2016, 11:20 PM
Hey All,

Just trying to get some ideas of handheld radios. I've looked around and like the GME 6150 however I want a unit that can be mounted on the dash and can use 12v charging. The 6150 only has a plastic base that can be used both 240 and 12v but I it would bouncy all over the place when 4 wdriving and they don't sell accessories to do what I want for it.
So had anybody else found a unit around that $300 price range that can do what I want? And how have you mounted it?

Thanks Mick.

Winnie
15th October 2016, 07:45 AM
I have a Uniden UH076SX (it's an old model now) mounted to my dash with the supplied charging station. I have it hard wired with a switch for charging.
It's awesome to have mounted and a 2nd option for comes, and has never moved at all when 4wding.

Skitzyrex
15th October 2016, 10:02 AM
I have a Uniden UH076SX (it's an old model now) mounted to my dash with the supplied charging station. I have it hard wired with a switch for charging.
It's awesome to have mounted and a 2nd option for comes, and has never moved at all when 4wding.

Cheers, I'll check out the Uniden site.

mudnut
15th October 2016, 10:12 AM
I have a Uniden UHO78SX-NB handheld mounted on the transmission tunnel. It came with a clip for mounting it, but I have made a stainless steel bracket which secures the unit properly. My original idea was to make it easy to remove the radio in case of flooding or just to take it out of the vehicle when parked, but it was a PITA.

The bull bar mounted antenna is connected via a small screw-in adaptor. It came with a handheld microphone/ speaker which I have mounted on the dash near the steering wheel. It performs really well.

Makka
18th October 2016, 09:41 AM
the Icom hand helds imo are the best and most robust i have one that fell under my seat in a truck and the case got mangled from the seat bouncing up and down and is still kicking hard ......

also used it on the handle bars on my bike a few times on big trips up to townsville and adelaide and a few others . you can get thw aceesories you are looking for it

mudnut
18th October 2016, 02:22 PM
I forgot to add that the Uniden also came with a spare battery, a 240 volt charger and a 12 volt charger too. I fitted an extra power socket to the bottom of the centre console which always has power on so the radio can remain charged at all times if need be.

The bracket sits over the radio and its original mount, and is lined with foam. I will purchase some fasteners with torx or security heads.

Skitzyrex
18th October 2016, 11:26 PM
Thanks Guys. I'd more want it in a addition to my built in uhf Mudnut and wouldn't permanently fix it. Would be just for when I got out of the vehicle when 4wdriving. [emoji106]

FNQGU
18th October 2016, 11:32 PM
Same comment as Macka - iCom hands down. I take mine from the kayak to the truck and everywhere in between. bullet proof.

Remember the old adage that the 'Poor man pays twice', and I reckon this is more than true for hand helds that get knocked around more than you plan.

mudnut
19th October 2016, 12:28 AM
Thanks Guys. I'd more want it in a addition to my built in uhf Mudnut and wouldn't permanently fix it. Would be just for when I got out of the vehicle when 4wdriving. [emoji106]

I have used the Uniden radio as as a handheld quite often and it has excellent range. It has a full metal casing and is supposed to be water resistant without the mic plugged in. I hope it might survive if I ever drown the Patrol. The radio has really good range and a heap of functions I have yet to explore. These days I have a pair of cheap Oricom radios that I use for recoveries and the like.

DaveGQ
10th February 2017, 01:48 PM
Do yourself a favour and get one of these..... http://www.auscb.com/apps/webstore/

Aussie made. Cheapest on the market, and probably the best. I picked one up couple of weeks ago and am loving it.

threedogs
10th February 2017, 01:57 PM
I have an Icom jr had it for years and also have a GME 6300 I think a 5 watt unit.
Hopped onto Ebay and brought some headsets for both, very handy,,,,lol
Love that web site DaveGQ I have up dated both of mine with a larger antenna etc etc

BillsGU
10th February 2017, 02:06 PM
The only problem I have found with hand helds is that when you really, really need them - the battery is flat. Make sure the one you get can either be operated from an external 12 volt source (some cannot be operated when charging) or you can get a battery pack/holder for it that takes normal AAs or AAAs.

It's also a good idea to remove the battery when you are not using them as most have some sort of memory that uses some battery power even when they are switched off.

I have an emergency hand held in the door pocket that works on AAs and I keep the radio in a bag with a set of lithium AAs (as they have around a 15 year shelf life).

TPC
10th February 2017, 02:38 PM
Do yourself a favour and get one of these..... http://www.auscb.com/apps/webstore/

Aussie made. Cheapest on the market, and probably the best. I picked one up couple of weeks ago and am loving it.

I don't think they would be Australian made, just type approved for Australia.

DaveGQ
10th February 2017, 03:56 PM
You're right TPC, sorry. Aussie brand more like it.

Great radios tho, it's pretty much on par with the Motorola ones we use at work (heavy industry), in terms of build quality.

mudnut
10th February 2017, 04:32 PM
The only problem I have found with hand helds is that when you really, really need them - the battery is flat. Make sure the one you get can either be operated from an external 12 volt source (some cannot be operated when charging) or you can get a battery pack/holder for it that takes normal AAs or AAAs.

It's also a good idea to remove the battery when you are not using them as most have some sort of memory that uses some battery power even when they are switched off.

I have an emergency hand held in the door pocket that works on AAs and I keep the radio in a bag with a set of lithium AAs (as they have around a 15 year shelf life).

The Uniden can be used normally while the car charger is in use. It can stay on when the 240 VAC one is used, and will recieve but you can't transmit with it connected.