PDA

View Full Version : Maxtrax or TREDs or Something else??

10G
12th October 2016, 03:32 PM
After our recent bogged drama on the last trip, I believe it is time to money up and get some recovery boards.

From what i've read and heard over time, Maxtrax seem to be favoured by more than TREDs. Are there any other alternatives to these two brands???

If you have either, have you used them? Would you buy them again? If you have something different, how good is that?

I was skeptical until recently, but at the time, I could see how a set of recovery boards of some type would have been a great benefit.

10G
12th October 2016, 03:45 PM
Just saw there are Tred Pros out now. Anyone have any experience with them???

growler2058
12th October 2016, 06:00 PM
I just bought Tred Pros for my recent Border track trip. Didnt need them as they turned out. Have used the standard treds at work with a toymota gutlux and they worked really well. Trick is not to spin your wheels on them or you'll melt the lugs off

the evil twin
12th October 2016, 06:13 PM
I bought a set of Maxxies when they were the only type on the market.
Yes they are expensive but, in fairness, Maxtrax had to do all the R&D and get the market and feedback to get the product going.
Indeed you know you have a good product as soon as others start 'jacking it.

So, IMHO, apart from price the Maxxies are still the best;
Longer than most others.
Stiffer overall than most others.
More Lugs than most others
Have lugs the full length, some others don't have any at all on/near the ramp
Double ended so if you do damage one end a bit you can spin them around, some others only have one end and a handle on the other.
Certainly seem to have a long life IF you don't spin up on them.
I am still using the same set and they have to be around 6 years old with only a few lugs snapped off (repair kits are available but pffft not worth it yet).

If I was buying today I would probably stick with the Maxxies but the cheaper knock offs are certainly attractive price wise

10G
12th October 2016, 08:29 PM
I guess I'm only considering the Maxtrax & TREDs, I know there are others around, but I've only heard that the TREDs and Maxtrax are worth buying.

Good point about the ramps on each end of the Maxtrax, I hadn't thought of that.

How do you not spin your wheels on those boards??? Whenever I've been bogged I've always had wheels zipping around everywhere.

the evil twin
13th October 2016, 10:45 AM
The whole idea of the boards is to restore traction.
When you have traction the only way to break it and spin the wheels is apply too much power.
I don't lend my tracks as many people want to punch the power and launch out of the bog like a NASA space shot.

With the tracks in place even tho the vehicle is level it is essentially a hill start.
So, just treat the process like a hill start on pea gravel, gently does it on the power and the vehicle just 'pops out'.
In sand the vehicle may stay stationary for a moment or two and the wheels push the track a bit deeper but just keep steady power on and it will come out.

It is much like the difference between driving a locked and open front diff.

The one thing that the boards do not do is take away the shovel work.
If the vehicle won't come out IE the wheels do start to spin it usually means you haven't dug out enough sand/mud around the diff pumpkins, body and/or wheels that aren't assisted by boards

jay see
13th October 2016, 09:07 PM
How do you not spin your wheels on those boards??? Whenever I've been bogged I've always had wheels zipping around everywhere.

Take out the lead in your right boot..

mudnut
13th October 2016, 09:43 PM
Take off in second gear so that you ride the clutch a bit or 3rd if you have an auto.

macca
14th October 2016, 07:09 AM
Bought a set of MaxTrax when SuperCheapAutos had a sale, took them to the desert but didn't use them.

Bought them because they are longer, double ended as previously mentioned and my fellow travellers / clubbies have them.

Supposed to be easy self recovery, will find out one day LOL

Cuppa
14th October 2016, 07:15 AM
Bought a set of MaxTrax when SuperCheapAutos had a sale, took them to the desert but didn't use them.

Bought them because they are longer, double ended as previously mentioned and my fellow travellers / clubbies have them.

Supposed to be easy self recovery, will find out one day LOL

Bought mine from Supercheap via eBay when Supercheap had a sale & Ebay were giving a further 20% off. ............. but I think you beat me ......... mine haven’t left home yet! LOL.

89gqpatrol4x4
14th October 2016, 05:55 PM
As evil twin has said whatever you get don't lend them out. When I stop to help someone it's ill drive your car out or we re not using my max trax! To expensive to have some random wreck them on you.

macca
14th October 2016, 06:02 PM
As evil twin has said whatever you get don't lend them out. When I stop to help someone it's ill drive your car out or we re not using my max trax! To expensive to have some random wreck them on you.

So you saying add MaxTrax to the don't lend list?

At the moment my wife and chainsaw are on that list.

oncedisturbed
14th October 2016, 07:13 PM
I've got a set of the Ridge Ryder variants from Supacheap as they were a lot cheaper than Treds / MaxTrax and touch wood I've not had any issues with them so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppa
14th October 2016, 07:21 PM
So you saying add MaxTrax to the don't lend list?

At the moment my wife and chainsaw are on that list.

Hahahaha ........ love it. No one else gets to use my chainsaw. Hadn't thought about MrsTea, but now that you mention it no-one else gets to use her either!

89gqpatrol4x4
14th October 2016, 10:56 PM
Sometimes I wish I would loan her out and then not be returned! .......

But only occasionally!!