PDA

View Full Version : Question for RB30 guys!

dom14
9th October 2016, 01:06 AM
Hey guys,

This is a question for all the stock RB30 guys out there, or the guys who previously had stock RB30 units before either they had it EFI/turboed it or moved onto different models.

What is the most comfortable(and economical) gear to drive on when doing around 60km/h on a flat road?

I can comfortably do 60km/h on fifth gear, without having to press accelerator pedal any deeper than it would be on 4th gear. But, I recently started doing 60km/h on fourth gear, following something I read on the forum somewhere about most suitable gear for 60km/h.

Is this the same for any of you guys out there with RB30 carby engine?

Thanx.

P.S. Mine's dual fuel & I mostly drive on LPG. Ignition timing is basically set for LPG.

mudnut
9th October 2016, 10:50 AM
Fifth causes the motor to lug at 60. I find that driving with the tacho below 2000 RPM you lose the ability to accelerate quickly. This small capacity engine is designed to get its power to the ground by revving, not brute force.

dom14
9th October 2016, 04:29 PM
Fifth causes the motor to lug at 60. I find that driving with the tacho below 2000 RPM you lose the ability to accelerate quickly. This small capacity engine is designed to get its power to the ground by revving, not brute force.
What if you don't need to accelerate quickly?
If you need to accelerate quickly you can downshift to 4?!

By the looks of it, mine looks like it cruises ok doing 60 on a flat stretch.
I don't feel like I have to push the accelerator pedal deeper to keep at 60 when I'm on 5th gear(though I should do a proper test on that). I felt like on 4th gear while doing 60, I'm pressing the accelerator pedal slightly more(again I need to do a proper test to confirm)

I guess another version of my question is whether I burn more fuel doing 60 on 5th gear than I would do on 4th gear.

Throbbinhood
10th October 2016, 10:09 AM
On 35's, usually 3rd gear for me haha.

dom14
10th October 2016, 12:30 PM
On 35's, usually 3rd gear for me haha.

Damn! I completely forgot about that! :D
Tyre size matters a lot. Mine's 31.5" or closer to that. (235/85R16)

dom14
12th October 2016, 03:08 AM
I did a more careful test & I can say in mine, I can do 60km/h on 5th gear pretty much the same as 4th gear in terms of accelerator position. Wheel size is 235/85R16

garett
12th October 2016, 05:22 AM
i'd use forth mate. i've destroyed a gearbox running at 60 in 5th, yes it was not a patrol but you will kill the bearings over time. i've still got that gearbox downstairs its stuffed.

Throbbinhood
12th October 2016, 10:03 AM
Dom14, if you have a nice open space of road, use the hand throttle, lock it in position so you are doing 60 in fourth, change up to 5th and see what happens.

dom14
12th October 2016, 05:28 PM
i'd use forth mate. i've destroyed a gearbox running at 60 in 5th, yes it was not a patrol but you will kill the bearings over time. i've still got that gearbox downstairs its stuffed.

Thanx mate. I've already started doing that. But, I've already done the damage though. I've been doing 60 on fifth for years.
Gearbox is going good(ok) atm. But, I'm sure doing 60 on fifth for so many years can't be a good thing, when nobody seems to be doing it like that, for obvious reasons I guess.

dom14
12th October 2016, 05:32 PM
Dom14, if you have a nice open space of road, use the hand throttle, lock it in position so you are doing 60 in fourth, change up to 5th and see what happens.

Yeah mate. That's pretty much I did thought not that precise. The troll appears to be going fine, either on 4th or 5th, but I as garret (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?32502-garett) advised above, it can't be good for the tranny. I've already started doing 60 on 4th, so there won't be any future damage.