PDA

View Full Version : EGT gauge useful or no use?

dom14
7th October 2016, 12:16 AM
Hey guys,

I've been wondering whether these EGT gauges are any use for carby engine(RB30) like mine?
ATM, there's no AFR(Air Fuel Ratio) gauge installed.
So, in the absence of AFR, I've been wondering whether these EGT gauges are any use for my engine to tweak any possible ignition timing and other issues!!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401133554211?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanx guys

gubigfish
7th October 2016, 12:59 AM
If your motor is turbo charged I would say yes, but I can't see the benefit if N/A. Happy to be proven wrong.

dom14
7th October 2016, 01:14 AM
If your motor is turbo charged I would say yes, but I can't see the benefit if N/A. Happy to be proven wrong.

Thanx mate.
It's N/A. I was speculating the possibiity of using the EGT gauge for adjusting any ignition timing mishaps, particularly, since mine is dual fuel.
I don't have a dual curve ignition unit in mine, yet. I occasionally tune the carby to suit the season & fuel. No AFR gauge, yet. But, I will install a one pretty soon. I thought I could benefit from an EGT in the meantime.
When I get the AFR, I'm hoping to pull the EGT sensor out of the exhaust manifold and use the same hole for AFR exhaust sensor!
Or may be I can leave the EGT and drill a new hole for the AFR sensor??!!

johno90
7th October 2016, 07:08 PM
Afr will need a bung welded on and its alot bigger then the egt probe hole. Dw about egt gauge even if turbo just tune to afr and use temp gun to check all temps consistant. Petrol can handle some temp as long as your tune is correct you will be fine. Also you cant really tune ign to afr well you can but only so much, need a timing light and an aftermarket knock sensor if you want to go all out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dom14
7th October 2016, 08:47 PM
Afr will need a bung welded on and its alot bigger then the egt probe hole. Dw about egt gauge even if turbo just tune to afr and use temp gun to check all temps consistant. Petrol can handle some temp as long as your tune is correct you will be fine. Also you cant really tune ign to afr well you can but only so much, need a timing light and an aftermarket knock sensor if you want to go all out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanx mate.
That's new news for me that the AFR is NOT always enough to get a perfect outcome with tuning. I have a timing light, but the knock sensor is something new for me.