PDA

View Full Version : Winches to suit ARB Bullbar on GQ

monty
5th October 2016, 03:06 PM
Hi all,
Due to a tree falling onto my GQ I am having to replace the bullbar. I will be fitting an ARB bar suitable for winch. My understanding is that these bars suit a number of Warn winches as supplied by ARB but wondering if anyone knows if Runva brand will fit. Thinking maybe the EWX12000. If I go Warn then possibly the Magnum 12K. Price difference is quite a lot; a nice $500 extra for the Warn.

Any other suggestions for winches? Recovery if required would be fully loaded GQ + fully loaded Tvan (1500kg) PLUS the effect of sticky gooey mud.

Just as an aside, is the Warn worth the extra these days or have the others like Runva caught-up with the quality, life expectancy and so on?

Cheers,

MudRunnerTD
5th October 2016, 05:31 PM
ARB do 2 bars for the GQ. The Deluxe and the Commercial bar. The Commercial was developed up house the Himount Warn winch and sticks out further at the front nose cone and has a terrible approach angle.

Assuming you are buying the Deluxe bar any winch will fit. Most of the8 to 12 ton winches are designed around the Warn bolt pattern as is the Fairleads for all brands. At worst you may need to pack any winch out when fitting which is no trouble.

I'd buy a Runva if I needed a winch without hesitation.

PeeBee
5th October 2016, 06:16 PM
Hi all,
Due to a tree falling onto my GQ I am having to replace the bullbar. I will be fitting an ARB bar suitable for winch. My understanding is that these bars suit a number of Warn winches as supplied by ARB but wondering if anyone knows if Runva brand will fit. Thinking maybe the EWX12000. If I go Warn then possibly the Magnum 12K. Price difference is quite a lot; a nice $500 extra for the Warn.

Any other suggestions for winches? Recovery if required would be fully loaded GQ + fully loaded Tvan (1500kg) PLUS the effect of sticky gooey mud.

Just as an aside, is the Warn worth the extra these days or have the others like Runva caught-up with the quality, life expectancy and so on?

Cheers,

I am guessing the Magnum 12k is a lighter/smaller footprint than the Warn 12000lb heavy duty winch? I know the warn 12000lb heavy duty winch is too wide for the chassis rails of the GQ, so from memory you are limited to 10000lb if a warn badged winch. I agree that Runva make a good product. If you wish to go hydraulic, they make a 2 speed 12000lb unit with the same footprint as their 12000lb electric and it fits the GQ deluxe bar.

monty
5th October 2016, 09:12 PM
Runva EWX12000 is about 40kg steel wire and 31.5kg if synthetic. The Warn Magnum 12k is also about 40.5kg but not sure of then standard rope, wire maybe.
Have heard only good reports on Runva which is why I nominated that as an alternative to Warn.
At least Mr Insurance is paying for the new bar :beer: