PDA

View Full Version : Mods for Gu Patrol

Neddeh
30th September 2016, 04:16 AM
Hey guys

I'm currently planning on going on a trip around WA in the next 18 months and currently slowly getting my truck ready.

I've done 2" lift, Snorkel, Dual Batteries with isolater, UHF Radio, Bullbar, Winch, 31's (came with the truck planning on putting 33's when they need changing), full length drawers.

Are there other mods I should consider?

Thanks Guys.

MudRunnerTD
30th September 2016, 07:13 AM
Hi mate, sounds like a great setup. i would add an Alloy Roof rack and side awning, i run a rear awning too. Also a Fridge slide and fridge. If your budget allows a rear bar and second spare, a Long Range tank would also be awesome.

MudRunnerTD
30th September 2016, 07:14 AM
built in water tank with 12v pump works bloody well on that type of trip too.

macca
30th September 2016, 07:42 AM
Everything you do adds weight.
Rear bars look great but do you really need one? the 2nd spare can go on the roof for the trips when needed if you are able to get it up there. They also put a lot of stress a long way south of the axle / suspension, as do long range tanks in some circumstances.
Drawers (which you have)are awesome but some are so heavy it amazes me how much they do weigh.
A drop slide is a great addition but man they are so engineered they weigh heaps.
Also for touring all the mods are great but when at home the fuel economy suffers if they can not be removed.
I have nothing against all these bits of kit but when tricking up our vehicles, we need to keep in mind what our limits are.
We recently had an insurance claim and the insurer was concerned about the loading of the vehicle while in "touring mode" so this is fresh and raw in my mind!
Good luck and enjoy the modding journey, it is great fun.

Bigcol
30th September 2016, 06:59 PM
recovery points & recovery gear - may never need them, but better to be safe than stuck with nothing to get you out

as Macca said, anything and everything adds weight, and you loose fuel economy

roof racks are great (I have one - no complaint) but they do give a very large Brick (GU Patrol) even more wind resistance
same with larger tyres, look good, seem great, but your gearing starts to get screwed, with in turn screws with your fuel economy
carry a spare set of front wheel bearings & all the Fan belts & radiator hoses & a decent tool kit

spare shockies & springs - forget about it - WA is big, but not that remote so if something like that dies, just wait until you hit a major town (we do have a few.........)

if your as keen as mustard, a tyre (not on rim - saves weight) as a second spare - but then you need the tools to change the tyre which is a lot of work, and they are heavy
- so your back at square 1 - just throw a 2nd spare (complete rim & tyre) onto your roof rack - near the middle of the car for weight balance

the GU you have should have a main & Aux fuel tanks - 94 & 54L I think (or 84 & 54)
long range tanks are a great idea, spending $1K+ to carry an extra 30L............, get a couple of good Jerry Cans, and put them on your roof rack....... next to your 2nd spare
see, a roof rack is handy

if your planning on a tent - roof rack type, or awning type (again - the roof rack....)............
towing a trailer - air bags for the rear springs

the list is quite endless when you think about it.............

Bigcol
30th September 2016, 07:05 PM
actually,
step 1 should be - full service, including diff oils & wheel bearings, cooling system
step 2 should be - 2 3/4 or 3' exhaust
step 3 should be - brake service and repairs
step 4 should be - trip to Auto eleccy, 12V plugs in rear and rear of centre console for charging things and plugging in fridges and stuff, a couple of 12v LEDs around in the cabin etc

then worry about the niceties

threedogs
30th September 2016, 07:09 PM
How many are going >> if its only 2 Id be removing the rear seats
An aux fuel tank would be high on my list, as would a flat alloy
roof rack.
A side awning is very handy on sunny days,
Change all your hoses and belt, keeping the old as spares.
As Macca says weight is your enemy, use plasma style rope on the winch in favour of steel
If you require front recovery points PM me to discuss if you like.
A cargo barrier to stop it all going peared shape, 284s instead of 33" would be my pick

macca
30th September 2016, 09:03 PM
would be high on my list, as would a flat alloy roof rack.
A side awning is very handy on sunny days,

Those flat racks are great, mine has sides only, a flat platform would be so much better.
Once we get to the interior of Australia we never use our awning, the blokes were talking last weekend and a very experienced outback traveller suggested not fitting an awning just use a light tarp for shade or shelter. Starting to think it's not a bad idea, cheap, light, easy to stow/replace and can be used for so many other tasks.

WA is big, but not that remote so if something like that dies, just wait until you hit a major town (we do have a few.........)

On our trips to WA we have been amazed how organised their couriers are, when they say overnight they mean it. Something to do with the mines no doubt.

Bigcol
30th September 2016, 10:39 PM
a very experienced outback traveller suggested not fitting an awning just use a light tarp for shade or shelter. Starting to think it's not a bad idea, cheap, light, easy to stow/replace and can be used for so many other tasks.

did that years ago - 4m x 4m tarp, open drivers side doors, stick tarp in, close doors
sling the tarp over the top of the car, and a few poles - hey presto - awning on Passenger side (reversal for shade on drivers side)
worked well, awesome while the kids were little, so they had somewhere under shade for them to play under
just very "sus" looking - brown 4wd & blue tarp

now I have an awning on passenger side - looks neater, does the job

On our trips to WA we have been amazed how organised their couriers are, when they say overnight they mean it. Something to do with the mines no doubt.

its more a case of "if we stuff them over - we wont get any more work from them"
but then, you do get what you pay for.......

Cuppa
1st October 2016, 08:12 PM
Hey guys

I'm currently planning on going on a trip around WA in the next 18 months and currently slowly getting my truck ready.

I've done 2" lift, Snorkel, Dual Batteries with isolater, UHF Radio, Bullbar, Winch, 31's (came with the truck planning on putting 33's when they need changing), full length drawers.

Thanks Guys.

What you need/is worth doing depends very much on what sort of trip you want to do. i.e. where you want to go, how long you would like to be away from places to re-supply, whether you want to exclusively bush camp, or to stay in caravan parks or a mix of both. Advice will be more useful if you can provide more info on your intentions.

the evil twin
1st October 2016, 09:17 PM
Hey guys

Thanks Guys.

Agree with Cuppa, a bit more info would assist but anyway... What other mods?

Scan Gauge (I am assuming because it is an 07 Dx it is a CRD) or equivalent should be the first thing on the list
Chip or ECU remap
EGR block if you are ambivalent about NOX emmissions
Check Intercooler for leaks, tigged replacement if req'd
Rear Spring Tower Supports (inspect the rails etc prior)
Rear door extension bracket (for the small door) so it opens fully
Roof rack with 4 supports not 3 (a 6x8 tarp, 2 poles, ropes and occy straps takes care of the awning
Long range tank (expensive but HEAPS better than rrsing around with jerries and gets 50Kg off your roof)

The above pretty much describes the '07 I had that toured all over WA... Had the drawers, fridge & drop slide and heavy gear in the back and I carried a bit of lighter gear and a tyre carcass on the roof.
Only ever used the tyre carcass once, at Tom Price, after a stone cut.
I did put an awning on but it wasn't any better or worse than the tarp

Bush Ranger
1st October 2016, 09:39 PM
You have about 18 months to find out what else you need, so do the odd short trip camping on weekends with what you have and it might give you ideas in what you may need later on for the trip. Spot lights would be good to get and or light bar(s). Depending on where you are going, a twin wheel carrier be okay if you think you`ll need a second spare wheel, but a spare tyre / rim stashed away some where else be okay and would save you money for the trip. A long range fuel tank be good too if you`re planning to go remoteish, but a jerry would be a cheaper option though, saving you a bit more money. Just remember though, that you`ll have to lug it to where ever you want to store it.

Wizard52
2nd October 2016, 10:33 AM
All good info and all I can add is a solar panel preferably mounted on roof rack if you get one as it will be a real pain unpacking it every time you want to set up.
I have my solar on roof permanently (ute canopy) but on recent trip to the West, my mate had a portable panel in and out of his vehicle and it was a pain although impossible to do extended stays away from power without it.

DX grunt
2nd October 2016, 10:48 AM
If you're in the RAC, get on their website and you can get an Annual Parks Pass for half price. It allows you to get into most Govt run National Parks, for free. Camping fee is extra, and varies in price, depending upon facilities provided. From memory without a pass, it costs around $12 per vehicle, per visit.

Saw your profile and saw you had an 07 GU DX. Is it a wagon or ute/pod set up?

I'm set up for remote camping, so feel free to click on the link in my signature, for ideas. I've got a 4.2 TDi Ex Telstra ute with the pod on the back.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Edit: I did the suspension upgrade, legally, using West Coast Suspension (WCS), and had a mod plate affixed.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Bush Ranger
2nd October 2016, 08:40 PM
DX Grunt, would RAC do the permits for aboriginal land crossing(s) as well for a traveller, or do you have to go through the other avenues?

DX grunt
2nd October 2016, 09:08 PM
DX Grunt, would RAC do the permits for aboriginal land crossing(s) as well for a traveller, or do you have to go threw the other avenues?

Not sure. Can somebody help, please?

4bye4
2nd October 2016, 10:23 PM
Not sure. Can somebody help, please?

@ET might know.

Cuppa
2nd October 2016, 10:40 PM
As far as I know permits are obtained from different sources dependant upon route that they are for. Some are direct from aboriginal sources, some are collectively outsourced to other organisations.

http://www.tourism.australia.com/aboriginal/aboriginal-culture/permits.aspx

the evil twin
3rd October 2016, 12:04 AM
RAC don't do any permits as such but you get a discount for the National Parks Permit if you are an RAC member.
Most Tourist Offices and DPAW offices will sell them or you can go online https://shop.dpaw.wa.gov.au/park-passes

All Aboriginal Land transit permits are somewhat coordinated by the DAA and administered by the appropriate land council and in some cases you may need more than 1 permit and also some may take significant time IE weeks to get if the Land Council has to go to specific tribes for approval (usually only happens for rarely visited areas).

The DAA http://www.daa.wa.gov.au/land/entry-permits/about-entry-permits/ is the best place to start

Bush Ranger
3rd October 2016, 01:48 PM
Thanks for that every one, just a thought I had when RAC and NP passes were mentioned. Probably better that the person travelling aboriginal land(s) tell the relevant people the story of their travels.

Neddeh
9th October 2016, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the advice guys I'll look into what you've said and keep you posted thank :)