PDA

View Full Version : Egr block and gauges

Apples
27th September 2016, 07:12 AM
Hi guys, I read a lot of good information on the egr blocking. Doing it next weekend. Just wondering what gauges and piller pod people are using. Or any other info on running them.

Thanks
Apples

growler2058
27th September 2016, 08:11 PM
Im only running a scan gauge 2 at this stage. I've blocked the EGR but soon will be fitting a 3" exhaust and will get a pillar pod with SAAS gauges (most likely) when thats fitted

mudski
27th September 2016, 08:45 PM
Just dont skimp on gauges. Thats pretty much... Cheap gauges will just give you grief. Stick with known brands, VDO, Redarc, McNally etc etc. IMO...

growler2058
27th September 2016, 09:08 PM
Just dont skimp on gauges. Thats pretty much... Cheap gauges will just give you grief. Stick with known brands, VDO, Redarc, McNally etc etc. IMO...

Are SAAS shity?

mudski
27th September 2016, 09:15 PM
Are SAAS shity?

dunno bout shitty, but not on top of the list. I have heard/ seen afew stories about them being noisy and not accurate. Having a boost line running into the cabn is not ideal I think. If thats how the saas work.

Apples
28th September 2016, 07:01 AM
Thanks guys will keep this in mind. Hopefully it's a easy install.

altech
30th September 2016, 05:43 PM
69244 No problems with SAAS gauges as yet = Alex

Warwick89
4th January 2017, 04:50 PM
Went and got a quote today for 3 redarc gauges to be fitted and the labour was just under 1k. Think I will be learning how to do it myself I think. Will post quotes soon

Warwick89
4th January 2017, 06:25 PM

I've been looking at these gauges since autron made them but have never had the money for it. After today I have massive reserves about going ahead with it.

question for all knowledgeable ones:
how hard is it going to be to install these gauges???? from what I was told today the labour cost had a lot to do with the oil temp sensor I wanted to run to the transmission as part of the G52-POT gauge.

Hodge
4th January 2017, 07:43 PM
I've fitted Autron and then Redarc gauges on both of my Patrols.
I can't comment on the oil.pressure ones as I don't know anything about them.
As for Boost and egt it's very easy. The most difficult part of the job was running wires through the fire wall into the cab.
We have a good forum here if you attack the job and get stuck just ask away. Redarc units come with really good kits and instructions.

Sent from S5

Hodge
4th January 2017, 07:54 PM
Also those prices from ARB you are getting ripped hard core . Shop around for parts. eBay. Etc . Can get heaps better prices.

Sent from S5

Warwick89
4th January 2017, 08:07 PM
Also those prices from ARB you are getting ripped hard core.

yeah I've found a few cheaper bits and pieces online tonight, One sales person today even went as far as to say that i would be better off buying them direct from redarc and then getting them to install. wont mention company on that one.

the gauge i am worried about fitting is the oil pressure gauge because that will be the vital temps for my rig. I'm most worried about the auto transmission temp so am hoping someone has some first hand experience with that.

4bye4
4th January 2017, 08:43 PM
I'm most worried about the auto transmission temp so am hoping someone has some first hand experience with that.
I have that one fitted but can't take a pic without removing bits and pieces. Basically where the trans pipes run to the cooler I tee'd in with a tee piece from ENZED and screwed the pickup into the top of the tee. I am using the same temp sensor as the one for water temp, which is the one that supplied with the Redarc (autron) guage. As this only reads from 60 deg, on a cold day with minimal work I usually don't get a reading at all. Towing a trailer full of camping gear on a red hot day (35 deg +) I will run at about 80 to 85 deg up hill and down dale all day. I have set the max temp alarms at 120 deg as I believe the factory light comes on at 140 deg which is the STOP NOW YOUR DOING DAMAGE point. Hope that helps. BTW, I have artificial hips so had to have the crawling around and install done by mechanics. I can assure you the hours per gauge were a lot less than what you have been quoted. As someone else said once you have the sensors installed, the rest is poking the wires through the firewall and connecting them up. If you are doing all the gauges at the same time that is one hour or less to put them through. The longest time on my install was 3 hrs to remove the dump pipe, weld the fitting on and replace it on the engine. The Tee piece on the trans (on a hoist) took less than an hour and the tee I have in the top radiator hose took about 15 mins. My total labour bill, and I had the rear brake pads fitted as well was a bit less than $700 and that was at the same hourly rate. I can't compare the gauge price as mine came from a mate who sort of ran out of Patrol before they were installed. I got boost/egt gauge and temp/temp gauge including pillar pod and light controller and all sensors for $400.

Warwick89
4th January 2017, 10:16 PM
cheers mate i think i will be giving it a go myself, if worse comes to worse i will pay them to finish haha.