PDA

View Full Version : Steel or Aluminium roof-rack

monty
23rd September 2016, 10:46 PM
Hi all, thinking of getting ARB roof-rack for the GQ. Mainly for 2nd spare wheel and tyre, long handle shovelm maybe a bit of other light stuff, and also for mounting rear light for campsite.
As I tow a Tvan, plan is to cover some pretty remote and no doubt rough outback tracks over the next few years, so want something strong enough to survive. I get that steel can be welded up in the bush, but then it shouldn't have broken, right?
So what do you blokes use? Any suggestions?>
Cheers, Monty

MudRunnerTD
23rd September 2016, 11:39 PM
A steel rack weighs +50kgs which is huge!! I have a full length Alloy and have never regretted it.

Clunk
24th September 2016, 12:08 AM
yep, aluminium all the way

Bigcol
24th September 2016, 10:29 AM
I have a steel one on my GU - it was there when I brought it
meh - it does what it needs to do
holds my side & rear awnings
and I can throw crap on it when camping (fire wood etc)

if I was going to buy one - I would buy the ali one - weight alone makes it a no brainer, and if you damage it while "off the beaten track" well.................

MudRunnerTD
24th September 2016, 10:48 AM
This is my Alloy EBay rack fully loaded for Outback Touring. You just need to pack it smart and don't put all the weight in the middle.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/202.jpg

Note my 3 jerry cans are in a holder that spans to the edges. Yes I made it out of 19mm pine board. It's crossed the desert a couple of times and will last me a life time!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/203.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/204.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/205.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!

monty
24th September 2016, 10:49 AM
Thanks for replies. I take the point about weight. I guess I wanted reassurance that the ali had sufficient strength. I would also hope that I didn't damage any rack, but wondered about bad corrugations etc.
Just need to decide if I really need a rack or not. Problem is fitting 2nd spare wheel/tyre. Not wanting to spend huge sum of money on rear tyre carriers as I have Stone Stomper attached to Tvan and I would rather have rack which gives more options for storage. I understand the overall weight limits and of course higher centre of gravity.

Quick question; how do rack users go about hauling spare wheel etc up an down off rack? Damn heavy stuff some of it.

Cheers

MudRunnerTD
24th September 2016, 10:54 AM
Thanks for replies. I take the point about weight. I guess I wanted reassurance that the ali had sufficient strength. I would also hope that I didn't damage any rack, but wondered about bad corrugations etc.
Just need to decide if I really need a rack or not. Problem is fitting 2nd spare wheel/tyre. Not wanting to spend huge sum of money on rear tyre carriers as I have Stone Stomper attached to Tvan and I would rather have rack which gives more options for storage. I understand the overall weight limits and of course higher centre of gravity.

Quick question; how do rack users go about hauling spare wheel etc up an down off rack? Damn heavy stuff some of it.

Cheers

I carry a spare Tyre only in a roof bag. Tyre pliers.

You should be setting you TVan up with Nissan hubs and matching wheels then you have 2 spares already and a 3rd tyre on the roof for the win.

I did a tyre on my Madigan Line trip and fortunately used my spare. If I did a second tyre then I'd have swapped. As it was I got into Birdsville on the spare and paid $20 to have the carcass off the roof fitted to the spare rim. Winner.

Bigcol
24th September 2016, 11:01 AM
I carry a spare Tyre only in a roof bag. Tyre pliers.

You should be setting you TVan up with Nissan hubs and matching wheels then you have 2 spares already and a 3rd tyre on the roof for the win.

both are great ideas for long distance remote touring
I have changed my Jayco to Nissan wheels for that same reason - extra spare

Kimbo63
24th September 2016, 11:19 AM
Hi Monty
I run the rhino platform and find it wery handy the mounting accessories are endless not cheap though

Hodge
24th September 2016, 11:38 AM
Had a full steel arb rack on my grenade. Took 3 of us with effort to put it up. I fitted up the alloy one on my 4.2, by my self.
So i don't know the weight figures, but i know the alloy one is heck of a lot lighter.
Have had my alloy one loaded up a fair bit with no issues.

threedogs
24th September 2016, 12:03 PM
Hi Monty
I run the rhino platform and find it wery handy the mounting accessories are endless not cheap though

Yell out if you need anything made I have heaps of designs to suit a Universal fit on a roof rack.

As for a rack I have steel 3/4 chinese rack, not heavy as some make out
Ive chopped it to suit my needs,
If I was to buy new,,,, Id go for the alooy platform style rack

dom14
24th September 2016, 03:25 PM
A steel rack weighs +50kgs which is huge!! I have a full length Alloy and have never regretted it.

Yeah, it's bloody heavy, a biatch to fit it in. I've managed to fit the heavy thing on my own. I've got no memory on how I managed that. ;)

monty
24th September 2016, 05:27 PM
Hi MudRunnerTd,
The Tvan has Nissan wheels/hubs as standard. Same size tyres as I'm running too (265/75R16). Have always carried two spares prior to getting Tvan as I always seem to get the odd puncture. So 3 spares now! But if leaving van and taking tent then I still need to carry two on/in car.

MudRunnerTD
24th September 2016, 09:07 PM
Hi MudRunnerTd,
The Tvan has Nissan wheels/hubs as standard. Same size tyres as I'm running too (265/75R16). Have always carried two spares prior to getting Tvan as I always seem to get the odd puncture. So 3 spares now! But if leaving van and taking tent then I still need to carry two on/in car.

Then id be carrying a carcuss only as the 3rd spare.

Clunk
24th September 2016, 09:22 PM
Hi Monty
Dont have a Platform but I do have 3 bars and and alloy tray, strong and versatile

monty
25th September 2016, 10:01 PM
maybe i'd better start going to the gym and doing weights.
Thanks for all suggestions. Food for thought.
Cheers

Skitzyrex
25th September 2016, 10:13 PM
I've got a steel one and if your budget will extend a little would go the Ali one.