PDA

View Full Version : Fitting pertronix 1 to 1989 gq .shaft grinding

landy96
22nd September 2016, 07:10 PM
I have been looking a couple of days on the net for an exact description on grinding or machining the dizzy shaft on a gq to fit a pertronix 1 .
Do u take the shaft out of the dizzy .
Which part gets ground down .
A clear photo before and after it is done would help .the instructions i got with it says it can be done by hand ?.
$50 was the cheapest quote i got for machining the shaft but he didnt know what i was talking about .
I dont want to drop it off and wait to seeif it will take a couple of days to get done either . One description said just grind of the lip .??what lip
A better description and photos would be nice . Grindings not on utube either .
Brisbane kingston

taslucas
22nd September 2016, 08:47 PM
There are a few threads on this forum about the Pertronix including some great write ups from rusty nail and gilly.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enissanpatrol%2Eco m%2Eau%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D10441&share_tid=10441&share_fid=16273&share_type=t
Pertronix Ignitor vs Ignitor II

>>>tappin from tassie

taslucas
22nd September 2016, 08:48 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/193.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/194.jpg
Here is a pic of the lip that needs to be machined off (credit to rusty_nail)

>>>tappin from tassie

taslucas
22nd September 2016, 08:53 PM
That lip needs to be machined off so that the hall effect rim can slide down the shaft.
The Pertronix Ignitor2 has the hall effect. Gilly described the way he machined the shaft and I used the same method. Pull the dissy out, put a drill on the end to spin it and hold a file on the lip and grind down until it's smooth enough to slide the ring on

>>>tappin from tassie

landy96
22nd September 2016, 09:15 PM
Thats a better description .i cant see the lip very good .old eyes..so i dont go down to where the points rub on the lugs . So that means i could put the points back in if the pertronix played up .? Some places i looked for this . i thuoght u ground the lugs off .and do i have to shorten the white sleeve so the rotor fits ?also on the forum it was suggested to fit gt40 coil without resister and not hookup the original white resister next to the coil . The instructions i got with it said i have to use resister so as not to damage the pertronix ??

taslucas
22nd September 2016, 09:35 PM
Yep only the lip gets ground so you can still revert back to points if you want.
Grind the lip, fit the ring then put the white sleeve on and see how the rotor fits. I think I may have sanded back a tiny bit of my sleeve but can't remember.
There are two different ways to set up. One uses the resistor, one does not. I fitted a Pertronix Flamethrower coil at the same time as the Ignitor and therefore removed the resistor and simply joined the wires. If you are keeping the same coil then keep the resistor. It should all be written in the instructions

>>>tappin from tassie

landy96
22nd September 2016, 10:00 PM
These are the best and simplest descriptions i can use thank u very much for the excellent instructions i have the gt40 coil no resister so thats the way ill go
thanks heaps

landy96
24th September 2016, 09:53 PM
Just finished fitting pertronix hall efect with extended rotor and gt40 coil ..went for a drive and ran alright on lpg but doesnt run nice on petrol down in low revs under 2000 but run good when i put the foot down hard .The instructions came with a second piece of paper which looked like an afterthought from wherever? They stated u must use the resistor ..? and also stated u must not set timing above 10%... ? But if u run lpg isnt it suposed to be 12% + ??
1989 gq tb42s carby auto

taslucas
25th September 2016, 07:19 AM
Whether or not to use the resistor depends on the coil you're using. Some coils need the external resistor left in place, other coils do not.
When I fitted my Pertronix I removed the LPG from the engine and tuned it to petrol only.
The timing for LPG can be anywhere up to +20 which isn't ideal for petrol. I'd suggest having a play with the timing to find a happy medium.

>>>tappin from tassie