PDA

View Full Version : Heater not heating....

Rob76
11th September 2016, 11:07 PM
Hi All, my heater wont heat anymore. Only cold air...
A/C mod.
The fan is working properly, and if we have 8C outside, I put the selector to 32C the fan goes full blast. Redusing temt to 20c the fab slows down.. but no hot air...
Tried to brake while driving forcing the engine to work harder, then I got luke warm air, but not hot....

Any tips?

Rob76
12th September 2016, 04:11 AM
Update:

Enough coolant, waterpump working, fan and temp adjusting is working, but no heat...
Of the two pipes going in to the cabin, only the top one is hot, the other is cold, still after 20-30 minutes.
I had a SAAB once, and that one had a valve for adjusting waterflow, just inside of the cabin.
Is it the same on Y61?
If so, where exactly is it located?
I assume it is nehind the glovebox, do I need to remove more to find it?
This valve should be operated by a servo motor (in my head at least...) what plug, and what readings should I get on it?

I will buy a beer to the first one that helps me get it hot in my car ;-)

mudski
12th September 2016, 09:18 AM
Update:

Enough coolant, waterpump working, fan and temp adjusting is working, but no heat...
Of the two pipes going in to the cabin, only the top one is hot, the other is cold, still after 20-30 minutes.
I had a SAAB once, and that one had a valve for adjusting waterflow, just inside of the cabin.
Is it the same on Y61?
If so, where exactly is it located?
I assume it is nehind the glovebox, do I need to remove more to find it?
This valve should be operated by a servo motor (in my head at least...) what plug, and what readings should I get on it?

I will buy a beer to the first one that helps me get it hot in my car ;-)

Heater core is blocked. There no valve to adjust flow, if there was the valve would be in the engine bay as the pipe come out through the firewall. Take the heater hoses off and see if you can push water through the core with a garden hose.

threedogs
12th September 2016, 01:25 PM
I will come out like doggy doo doo's, so be prepared lol

Rob76
12th September 2016, 07:50 PM
Heater core is blocked. There no valve to adjust flow, if there was the valve would be in the engine bay as the pipe come out through the firewall. Take the heater hoses off and see if you can push water through the core with a garden hose.

Thanks for the answer !

For me it sounds strange that it should be blocked, as I get heat when have load on the motor. However, it could be very reduced flow....
Will it be a waste of money to try a radiator cleaner?
Also, shouldnt it be possible to stop the flow thru the radiator when no heat is needed, like by-passing of some sort...?

Bush Ranger
12th September 2016, 08:15 PM
Try disconnecting the heater a running the garden hose through the heater core, like previously suggested. If it runs freely, it`s not blocked, but if no water comes out freely, then try the cheaper option of a radiator flush. You might be better off getting a new heater core and or the one you have reconditioned once the other avenues have been done.

GeeYou8
13th September 2016, 08:40 AM
Use the garden hose, reverse direction a few times until the water run clear, you will be surprised at the amount of sludge that comes out.
While your at it maybe flush the whole system, summer is just around the corner.
Even with regular cooling system flushing, the heater core is always filthy.
I am not a fan of radiator cleaner additives, they can't just target sludge, they must do some harm as well.
Graham

Rob76
14th September 2016, 05:02 AM
Problem solved.....

Due to an air lock the water didnt circulate to the heaters....
Proper bleeding of the system, and topping up the reservoar did the trick.

And BTW the "summer" is not "just around the corner" here... ;-)

But, have plenty of hot air from my Patrol now :D

threedogs
14th September 2016, 10:55 AM
You should be able to do it without losing coolant.
There are two hoses going in the firewall behind/above
turbo easy to see they are wrapped in silver foil.
Gently release the pressure when cold , then undo those two hoses
remembering which went where. Thurn the heater to full heat , then
squirt water into one of the hoses, the goop will flow out the other hose.
Might want to swap out those OE hose clamps for some decent
worm drive while youre at it