PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor

DX grunt
8th September 2016, 03:08 PM
Hi all, I'm just after a bit of advice.

I've just had a brand new starter motor fitted to my 4.2 TDi ute and they've given me the old one back.

What do I do with it? Is it worth getting it fixed and keeping it as a re-conditioned spare, or chuck it out?

Most times when I started the engine, it would make a grinding sound. I'd switch it off and it would start the second time, nearly every time.

Any ideas on how much it would cost for me to get it re-conditioned? I'm guessing the one I just had replaced was the original starter motor which has done about 313,000km.

TIA

Rossco

Clunk
8th September 2016, 03:10 PM
Sorry cant help, just thought Id pop in and hijack your thread

mjr350
8th September 2016, 03:10 PM
Im sure they can be rebuilt. Pull it apart and see if its full of mud etc. Its already broke so you cant broke it more

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Clunk
8th September 2016, 03:11 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/52.jpg

DX grunt
8th September 2016, 03:32 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/52.jpg

I'm sure I'll figure it out, one day!! lol. Stop stealing my thread and get back to work. lol

mudnut
8th September 2016, 04:20 PM
The possibility of a rebuild all hinges on the condition of the armature and commutator and field windings. If the copper bars on the commutator aren't too worn, uneven or have any showing discolouration or thrown solder, then it may be good. An auto elec should have a machine called a growler, that induces a magnetic field in the armature and shows up an short circuited windings.

Rossco
8th September 2016, 04:46 PM
I rebuilt mine not to long ago and is good as new now, was very loud and groany before. Just put all new bearings throughout was petty easy and came up around 50 bucks i think. But as above depends on the condition of the motor, if commutator or windings are too far gone not worth it, mine was all good once cleaned up, brushes still had heaps on them too. Strip it down see how she looks. . .

Winnie
8th September 2016, 04:52 PM
Yeah I would strip it down to have a better look.
In saying that, I have my old alternator from about 4 years ago that I said I would rebuild and keep as a spare which I have not touched since the day I unbolted it from the car.

threedogs
8th September 2016, 04:57 PM
My son can rebuild those starters and alternator.
these days is probably cheaper to buy new than
rebuild. It'd be good to have a spare in the shed ehlol

DX grunt
8th September 2016, 05:53 PM
My son can rebuild those starters and alternator.
these days is probably cheaper to buy new than
rebuild. It'd be good to have a spare in the shed ehlol

Genuine Nissan starter motor cost me $560, Labour - $104, GST - $66.45 = $730.90

This was done at a Nissan Dealership.

I'm happy, coz I'm off remote beach camping/fishing in about 3-4 weeks, and feel a lot safer now. lol