PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Recommendations

10G
6th September 2016, 07:17 PM
I need an air compressor so I'm looking for recommendations from happy users.

I'm sure many of these things come from China and are just rebadged, so if you're happy with what you have, let me know. I know there are tons of recommendations & reviews on the hyperweb, but I feel alot of them are a bit biased.

Thanks for the help.

threedogs
6th September 2016, 07:18 PM
For your shed or for the Patrol 12v jobbie

10G
6th September 2016, 08:18 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I'm looking for a 12v compressor for the Patrol to take away.

Bush Ranger
6th September 2016, 08:38 PM
I have one of those Bush Ranger Black Max. Not to bad to use and all I`ve done to it, is replaced the plastic air hose for a rubber hose and put a longer metal nozzle on the exit where the hose fits on. The reason I did that, was because the plastic hose started to kink and the single clamp wasn`t keeping the rubber hose on to the original metal nozzle. I put two fuel clamps on to keep the rubber hose on. I didn`t buy the air compressor, it came with a tyre deal.

gubigfish
6th September 2016, 09:07 PM
I've got one of the ARB Twin with Air tank in a portable case and very happy with it, previous to that I had a no name Chinese brand compressor that worked for a number of years.

I'm of the view do it once, do it right you'll save money in the long run.

10G
6th September 2016, 10:03 PM
The Mean Mother Adventurer 2 seems to get a few good reviews from around the traps. Anyone heard anything about them?

Clunk
6th September 2016, 10:57 PM
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Ridge-Ryder-Air-Compressor-12-Volt-Ultimate/299651

Bought mine on special a few years back for $160, it's not small but does the job nicely....... very similar to the Dr Air, $WD SupaCentre's Thumper, to name but a few.

Never had an issue with mine and if I did, I'd just get another one and still be quids in when compared to some other well known makes.

have a good read of this and make up your own mind http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/issue017/#29

mudski
6th September 2016, 11:17 PM
I have an Aldi one. Exactly the same as the Mean Mother ones and a like. Had it for maybe 18months and still works like new. Now its going to a new owner as I wont be needing it anymore.

jay see
7th September 2016, 07:08 AM
I too have been using an aldi one for a few years now.
Think it was 100 bucks for a twin piston, claims to do 175 l/m.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Winnie
7th September 2016, 07:37 AM
I had the Dr Air one for a few years and it was good, but the hose connection got too hot to touch after inflating 4 tyres. I believe a lot of the compressors are like that though.
I've got the ARB high output compressor mounted in the back of the car now. I like having it mounted because it is always ready to go, but it is a fair bit slower than the bigger portable ones.

bazzaboy
7th September 2016, 08:34 AM
I have an early ARB portable compressor and Thumper compressor. The Thumper is about 3 years old and is the one I mainly use, as it is fast and robust. The ARB is my spare that I also take everywhere. It is reliable but very slow in comparison ( like watching grass grow ). I think the Thumper is very good value for the money @ about $99. It has rated well in every comparison test I've read.

mudski
7th September 2016, 09:54 AM
I suppose it boils down to if you want portabilty and power, or convenience of an in car mounted compressor. The pro's to a portable compressor is you can move it around and they are generally larger and move more air, the con's are they are bulky and when camping I try to pack a light and small as possible, my current compressor is BIG. I takes up a fair whack of room in the car. I now have an ARB twin jobbie which will take place of the single air locker compressor under the pax seat. Not sure how it will go in pumping a 35 up against the portable one, but its out of the way. I'm not too concerned if its slower. Who wants to be in a rush out in the bush anyway?

10G
7th September 2016, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I did have an ARB CKMSA12 or whatever it is, not the big tank one, I think they call it the high output model and it was pretty good, I was happy with that, but that went with the old vehicle.

I decided I'll get a Thumper. I've read some good reviews as well as what the fellas here have said it looks pretty good and for under $100 how could you go wrong. If it packs up, I'll look around again.

threedogs
7th September 2016, 01:12 PM
10G I used to run a 3/4Hp compressor and a tank 20 years ago and it was great.
Now I have a compressor tank all in one {air horn} Im going to use that compressor
for my front locker and some air horns.
I have another pump for re-inflating tyres its huge and out pumps my 3/4 pump from
all those years ago, This pump also comes as a double ender so massive air output.
My pump/tank is mounted on my cargo barrier and like Mark says the compressor
on its own in its case is fairly large and heavy. not many will out pump this unit, lol
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yaponcha-Car-Air-Compressor-tools-12v-Tyre-Deflator-Inflator-Portable-250L-m-/291859011801?hash=item43f42718d9:g:xoYAAOSwOdpXzLz 6
Downside is you cant mount it anywhere but a great pump even for jobs around camp ,lol
This is the one that runs my front locker and airhorn
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/680-Air-compressor-3-Litre-220psi-Tank-12v-AOB-Tyre-inflator-pressure-pump-kit-/301935772143?hash=item464cc641ef:g:jfoAAOSw1DtXGCh z

Might be showing my age but still have my first compressor its a Thomas by Bullet industries.
Slow as all get out but would go all day,,,,,,,,,it needed too ha ha ha

Kallen has an Outback pump fitted into his rear Quarter panel, maybe a different name but same pump.
I changed the link as I found a cheaper one lol

10G
7th September 2016, 02:54 PM
That Outbac compressor looks like a good unit, 2 cylinders, nice.

threedogs
7th September 2016, 03:19 PM
That Outbac compressor looks like a good unit, 2 cylinders, nice.

Its a horse of a unit thats for sure lol

GeeYou8
7th September 2016, 10:58 PM
Might be showing my age but still have my first compressor its a Thomas by Bullet industries.
Slow as all get out but would go all day,,,,,,,,,it needed too ha ha ha

I still have a Thomas, paid $340 for it in 1990, at the time it was about the only thing that could pump up a tyre in under 3 minutes.
I had it mounted under the seat on the GU2.
Graham

threedogs
8th September 2016, 09:43 AM
I still have a Thomas, paid $340 for it in 1990, at the time it was about the only thing that could pump up a tyre in under 3 minutes.
Graham

Same price but '91 go figure

garett
8th September 2016, 03:06 PM
i got one of those outbac twin pumpers .... burnt out the switch so i replaced that. then its melting the fuse holder...

threedogs
8th September 2016, 05:13 PM
Graham

Shortly after they released the Big Red that made to Thomas to slow,
then later the first of the double enders [$700], but the Bullet would still be
OK filling a tank for a locker

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12v-air-compressor-160L-min-Repco-/232069717854?hash=item36086edf5e:g:yZIAAOSwFe5Xyro M

Covo71
9th September 2016, 08:12 AM
I bought the ARB twin and bought a case from Bunnings for $50 and bolted it in. 6895668957

lucus30
9th September 2016, 09:59 AM
I bought the ARB twin and bought a case from Bunnings for $50 and bolted it in. 6895668957

Looks like a good setup. If my aldi compressor dies I'll either grab a twin ARB or the new MK3 thumper.
As yet I haven't managed to kill the aldi one yet

jay see
9th September 2016, 12:10 PM
Looks like a good setup. If my aldi compressor dies I'll either grab a twin ARB or the new MK3 thumper.
As yet I haven't managed to kill the aldi one yet
I wouldn't hold your breath. Most of the Aldi stuff pack up straight away or they last a long time from my experience.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

92GQ
10th September 2016, 06:39 AM
I have one of these

https://www.tradetools.com/product-range/air-compressors/air-compressors/renegade-industrial-compressor-12v-40-50amps-112lpm

It takes 45 seconds to put my 33s back to 35psi.
I have made a rear storage system to fit it.
I've had it since January 2010 and it hasn't missed a beat!
It even runs my rattle gun, great for trips or at the drags with the Ford.
Cheers

Rock Trol
10th September 2016, 12:19 PM
I have one of these

https://www.tradetools.com/product-range/air-compressors/air-compressors/renegade-industrial-compressor-12v-40-50amps-112lpm

It takes 45 seconds to put my 33s back to 35psi.
I have made a rear storage system to fit it.
I've had it since January 2010 and it hasn't missed a beat!
It even runs my rattle gun, great for trips or at the drags with the Ford.
Cheers

WOW! Thats the first Taiwanese air compressor I have seen. Apart from the US or ARB compressors everything else comes out of China. I like the fact it comes with a tank and frame so its portable or can be mounted.

threedogs
11th September 2016, 02:09 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221316031569?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Came across this fully sealed plastic box more than big enough to house those "Thumpa" style compressors
lucus30 this may come in handy ,not too pricey$$$$$

threedogs
12th September 2016, 05:00 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131930520925?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This might appeal to someone even if you fit your compressor to the tank

10G
13th September 2016, 12:09 PM
BFG have a promo on ATM. Buy 4 tyres, get a free ARB CKSMA12 compressor, $370 or thereabouts.

10G
16th October 2016, 05:04 PM
Well folks I bought myself one of those Thumper compressors from 4WDSupacentre.

The the thing is pretty robust, solid feel, no flimsy plastic bits. Nice long hose. I think the crappiest bit is the carry bag.

Anyway, it is fast, well it's faster than the ARB CKMP12 I had in the Navara with no doubt. I pumped up a 32" tyre from 15psi to what I later found out to be close to 50 psi in less than 60 seconds.

It is heavy, but that doesn't bother me really, makes me think it can withstand some bumps & tumbles. I get another if I lost this one.