PDA

View Full Version : Boost gauge install CRD

ThefattymattymkII
3rd September 2016, 09:44 PM
Hey guys I just purchased a boost gauge for the patrol and I can't find any real easy spot to hook up the boost line under the bonnet, any advice all the pictures I have found are all ZD30's or does it not really make a difference? Thanks in advance guys

BigRAWesty
3rd September 2016, 09:51 PM
I've tapped the cold tank of the intercooler between core and outlet on the side. Just below the support rail. .
Easy job.
If you don't have a tap and die set the adaptor off ebay is good.
This it's called a boost adapter

ThefattymattymkII
3rd September 2016, 10:07 PM
Just had a look thanks mate, one of those will make life much easier!

threedogs
4th September 2016, 01:24 PM
Heres a picture for you, Thats a great price too BTW

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252487830656?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ThefattymattymkII
4th September 2016, 08:48 PM
I ordered one last night, appreciate the advice, being reading up on using the dimmer switch as a power source so I can dim them with the dash lights, hopefully I get it all before next weekend, I'm putting a EGT gauge in too but will not hook it up until I get the new exhaust put in, I've talked myself out of a taipan and getting my local shop to build one and fit it

ThefattymattymkII
10th September 2016, 07:56 PM
Installed the boost adaptor today was very straight forward, interesting to see how erratic the boost is!

Hodge
11th September 2016, 07:51 AM
Installed the boost adaptor today was very straight forward, interesting to see how erratic the boost is!

Yeah the CRD boost is a yoyo out of factory. Shit.
Get a needle and dawes and tame it. Your car will thank you.

ThefattymattymkII
11th September 2016, 03:27 PM
The gauge is making some weird noises.... Any one know how to 'snub' a SAAS boost gauge, after some searching the best advice is to put cotton wool in it!

ThefattymattymkII
11th September 2016, 05:28 PM
The cotton wool trick works! Very quiet now

ThefattymattymkII
17th September 2016, 07:00 PM
So had the boost gauges in for a week now, did a run up the freeway last night at 100kph the boost was sitting at 20psi, but would sit at 15psi everywhere else, from what I have read this is caused from the egr being blocked, so I thinks it is time for a Dawes valve set up, any one installed one of these on a CRD under warranty? Was mr Nissan impressed? In a side note has any body upgraded the turbo on a CRD to the old school wastegate setup?, I can not find much info in that regard cheers in advance

Hodge
17th September 2016, 08:29 PM
In a side note has any body upgraded the turbo on a CRD to the old school wastegate setup?, I can not find much info in that regard cheers in advance

Yes. Car ran awesome after that! I drove around with a hard on after I fitted the needle and dawes valve to my CRD and fine tuned it. And was kicking my self for not getting it done earlier....
But then, I had the car chipped and the complete needle, dawes and actuator ditched for the wastegate setup (pictured) and the car then ran the best it ever has.
I repeat what I said up in my earlier post. The factory boost setup on the CRD is s#it. It is setup to work in sync work with the EGR / emission parameters.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69095&stc=1

Brad2012crd
18th September 2016, 01:45 PM
So where would i tap in if i dont have an adapter? Can i assume the cold tank is at the front of the car and i just tap into the outket just above where the hose connects on?

ThefattymattymkII
18th September 2016, 02:12 PM
Thanks hodge for the advice, I wish my engine bay was that clean!

ThefattymattymkII
18th September 2016, 02:14 PM
Where/who did the wastegate set up?

Hodge
18th September 2016, 03:30 PM
Thanks hodge for the advice, I wish my engine bay was that clean!

No worries. And it isn't this clean any more believe me ( I don't own the car any longer, but I do see it almost every day (workmate bought it off me)).

The whole setup was done at a local diesel tune shop, JPC.
I forgot to mention, the car was tuned with a new chip with needle and dawes valves with unsatisfying results. Then it was tuned to a simple Wastegate setup set to 19PSI and the car has since been a dream to drive. Still doing strong to-date. It's done nearly 80,000 since I sold it and it hasnt skipped a beat.

threedogs
18th September 2016, 04:58 PM
No worries. And it isn't this clean any more believe me ( I don't own the car any longer, but I do see it almost every day (workmate bought it off me)).

The whole setup was done at a local diesel tune shop, JPC.
I forgot to mention, the car was tuned with a new chip with needle and dawes valves with unsatisfying results. Then it was tuned to a simple Wastegate setup set to 19PSI and the car has since been a dream to drive. Still doing strong to-date. It's done nearly 80,000 since I sold it and it hasnt skipped a beat.

Hodge swap out that battery terminal nut for a nyloc what you have will fai. eh
Cable tie the catch can hose and a few others together, they will rub through the way they are now. I just read
your mate brought it, Id be letting him know

threedogs
18th September 2016, 05:01 PM

Im not 100% on this but I think Guest4wd centre in Grange road Fairfield
convert from vacuum to exhaust turbo. Give Davidm Mick or Pete a call.
They stock a lot of ARE gear

mudski
18th September 2016, 10:36 PM
Hodges setup wasnt technically a real waste gate setup. It still was a variable vane turbo. Just running a boost controlled actuator instead of vacuum controlled. You would be insane to run an old school waste gate turbo on these motors. The vnt turbos can produce boost preesure almost at the instant you stand on the pedal. A wastegate turbo can't. So you'd be lagging like a teenager on dial up until you reach a higher rev range. Hence why evey diesel these days uses a variable vane turbo. Just a far more efficient turbo.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk