PDA

View Full Version : Greeting everyone

PeeBee
2nd September 2016, 08:02 PM
My name is Phil and I live in Melbourne South East. I have a 1997 GQ Patrol purchased new with the 2.8TD - biggest mistake I made in hindsight - should have gone the 4.2. Anyway, its over in WA getting a new crate motor from Brunswick Diesel - 6500 Optimiser - should have it back by the end of the month. The vehicle is a garage queen and gets out maybe 4 times a year. Looking forward to learning and sharing in the forums.

MB
2nd September 2016, 08:11 PM
G'day Phil, welcome aboard mate!
Will be great to see another 6.5 locally soon by the sounds of it :-)
I reckon you being a mechanical engineer will be teaching/advising nuffy's like me in no time mate ;-) !

PeeBee
2nd September 2016, 08:42 PM
MB, thanks for the welcome. I've done a bit to the bus, and probably have 2 or 3 versions of everything sold in the garage, but I can assure you sometimes its a long long route to success! Being an engineer has the downside that you are always challenging something and a lot of the time for no other reason than you think you can do it smarter. Most times, maybe 99.9% someone has already nutted it out and for that reason, just buy it, install it and use it - easy to say but hard for me to follow my own advice! Anyway, I am looking forward to getting the vehicle back. The return is delayed a week now as i decided to install a Nissan PTO drive coupled to the front hydraulic winch pump. Brunswick want the assy first before putting the engine in place to ensure the exhaust clears. Its a 5 day delivery lag Melb to WA, so whilst they can get on with diff ratio changes and tailshafts and wiring, the motor waits until the clearances for the exhaust are validated. I am getting a GVM upgrade in WA, then have to get the Vic Engineers to do their business regards certification.
I did a search of the forums looking for bonnet scoop installations without success - can you advise a link pls? I am pretty sure the extra 80kw will need venting from the engine bay as hear some stories of cooling issues in summer - again, just being cautious and pro-active I guess.

MB
2nd September 2016, 09:16 PM
MB, thanks for the welcome. I've done a bit to the bus, and probably have 2 or 3 versions of everything sold in the garage, but I can assure you sometimes its a long long route to success! Being an engineer has the downside that you are always challenging something and a lot of the time for no other reason than you think you can do it smarter. Most times, maybe 99.9% someone has already nutted it out and for that reason, just buy it, install it and use it - easy to say but hard for me to follow my own advice! Anyway, I am looking forward to getting the vehicle back. The return is delayed a week now as i decided to install a Nissan PTO drive coupled to the front hydraulic winch pump. Brunswick want the assy first before putting the engine in place to ensure the exhaust clears. Its a 5 day delivery lag Melb to WA, so whilst they can get on with diff ratio changes and tailshafts and wiring, the motor waits until the clearances for the exhaust are validated. I am getting a GVM upgrade in WA, then have to get the Vic Engineers to do their business regards certification.
I did a search of the forums looking for bonnet scoop installations without success - can you advise a link pls? I am pretty sure the extra 80kw will need venting from the engine bay as hear some stories of cooling issues in summer - again, just being cautious and pro-active I guess.

Wow PBBIZ2 :-)
I hear you mate, we do need to practice breathing techniques sometimes. Amazingly most inventions/creations are simultaneously being worked on somewhere around this globe!
Super intrigued mate about your power take off winch adaptation, very robust concept indeed. It is a fair call from Brunswick as I would imagine keeping hydraulic lines well clear of heat is a top idea, respect :-) !!
Please do feel free to PM me in regards WA-VIC transfers, may have an idea ;-)
Bonnet scoops for reverse heat release, I'm far from an expert but did buy some cheap SAAS scoops a while back and had the them baked to matching 531 K. I will get around to installing them one day but recently been told it very well could be illegal, windscreen oil/steam potential apparently:-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
2nd September 2016, 10:28 PM
MB the info I have is the gem upgrade is nationally recognised but the eng certification for Victoria must be done in Victoria. I have been referred to a guy in Bayswater - Archie I think is his name. He does about 80 of these conversion Cerys per year from Brunswick diesel in vic

MB
2nd September 2016, 10:31 PM
"The return is delayed a week now as i decided to install a Nissan PTO drive coupled to the front hydraulic winch pump. Brunswick want the assy first before putting the engine in place to ensure the exhaust clears"

Not to wankerise this thread, but we are departing Melb - WA sparrows fart Monday morning. Happy to collect what's needed over this weekend and drop off Monday in Perth metro? I believe we have one spare 32kg baggage allowance so happy for us to get hard yakka cattle class points/moneys worth ;-)

PeeBee
3rd September 2016, 04:53 AM
MB, many thanks for the offer, however I needed to get the parts there urgently so sent them TOLL express yesterday - $150! Anyway, based on my conversation with Brunswick late yesterday, whilst they say it will hold them up, I think its a minor delay in reality as there are plenty of other tasks that can be executed in advance. Really appreciate the focus and help. The additional delay will give me more time to find the floor of the garage thats currently disappeared under the mountain of crap I removed from the car before sending it across to WA - probably a blesing in disguise as the pile is greater than I have room to spare at the moment. Are you heading to WA on work or pleasure?

threedogs
3rd September 2016, 08:51 AM
Hi mate and welcome to the forum , there is a bit written about how to remove heat from the engine bay
You might want to start another thread as this is just your intro,
I run a turbo beanie to keep my aux battery cooler some lift the back of the bonnet, not sure how legal that is.
others have fitted vents to the bonnet to allow heat to escape , any way enjoy

Dhuck
3rd September 2016, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

AB
3rd September 2016, 07:04 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

MEGOMONSTER
10th September 2016, 06:52 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net.
If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Touses
10th September 2016, 10:58 AM
G'day Phil, welcome!

4bye4
10th September 2016, 09:55 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.

PeeBee
10th September 2016, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys for the welcome. My conversion is finally starting to get moving on Monday. The delay was caused by the late arrival at Brunswick of the Pto and hydraulic pump. Old engine gearbox inter cooler and radiator are already transferred to new owner, so the old 2.8 lives on! Vehicle should be ready to send back to Melb in 2 weeks however the frustration will be waiting for the transport links to align. I had the vehicle sitting in a yard in Melb for 8 days on the way over, but aaprently it's a swifter trip in this direction as freight load is lighter going west to east. I have been reading the posts in the 6.5 chev forum and looking forward to seeing how many of the issues arise as are mentioned, especially around cooling issues and fuel consumption - maybe ' looking forward coul come back to bite me!.

PeeBee
18th September 2016, 10:57 PM
Guys can someone point me in the right direction regards how to upload photos into a post pl? It was suggested I use a smart phone app, but I ain't that smart and have an iPhone 5s. Are there other ways to add the photos or can they simply be copy and pasted into the message? Thanks phil

MEGOMONSTER
19th September 2016, 09:40 AM

PeeBee
19th September 2016, 05:43 PM

Is this a standard answer or is your keyboard stuck?? I have trawled thru the search function but don't have the patience to scroll thru 1013 different pages. 'upload photo or photo upload' does not yield a reply I can use. Is there somewhere that specifically outlines the process? What are the key words I should be using.
thanks
Phil

MEGOMONSTER
19th September 2016, 06:00 PM
Guys can someone point me in the right direction regards how to upload photos into a post pl? It was suggested I use a smart phone app, but I ain't that smart and have an iPhone 5s. Are there other ways to add the photos or can they simply be copy and pasted into the message? Thanks phil

Are you using a pc or are you using safari on your smartphone.

On the PC or mobile using the webpage http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/166.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/167.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/168.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/169.jpg

However a lot of us are using mobile apps, like Tapatalk which is a app that many forums are using as a tool to participate in forum discussion.

If you are using your smart phone a forum app is the way to go. If using photos off your phone.
I'm using Tapatalk for this forum.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/170.jpg
By pressing this symbol I'm able to attached any photo in my phones photo library.

Hope it helps.

PeeBee
19th September 2016, 06:08 PM
Thanks Megamonster. I am mostly using the PC. I will scroll thru this later to absorb it all.
Phil