PDA

View Full Version : 3" taipan exhaust

ThefattymattymkII
2nd September 2016, 11:46 AM
Hey guys, got my tax return back and my accountant did a really good job this year, going to get a chip and exhaust thrown on, I'm keen on the a taipan/DP chip combo and got a quote, but he asked me if I want the loud or quite version, does any one have the "loud" exhaust? Does it drone at high way speeds? Does it piss off the neighbours? FYI a 2014 CRD manual 3.0 thanks in advance

mudski
2nd September 2016, 12:25 PM
'For whats its worth, my old 3ltr Direct Injection had a straight through zorst with a hi flow cat and its not loud at all. Louder than with a muffler, but certainly not loud without. Just make sure you get a cat in the system, big fines if you are caught without the cat.

ThefattymattymkII
2nd September 2016, 04:31 PM
And besides longevity is there much more benefit in stainless?

threedogs
2nd September 2016, 05:24 PM
And besides longevity is there much more benefit in stainless?

Not so much with a diesel Id go the aluminized steel
As for your TAX refund, If I could suggest a remap and pipe
I have a 3" and Dp on my 3ltr Di straight through CAT very
quiet . As Mudski said make sure you fit a cat it would make
no difference in performance IMO, plus its against the law
so why bother

ThefattymattymkII
3rd September 2016, 07:36 AM
Do you guys know of somewhere in Victoria that would do a remap?

TT Aero
8th September 2016, 02:05 AM
Just had a 3" stainless system with strait through muffler fitted, noise increase is hardly noticeable and not intrusive at all, not sure the increase in performance is worth the cost but I guess I'll know once the induction is opened up and the ECU remapped

ThefattymattymkII
9th September 2016, 09:33 AM
What brand did you go with aero? The tax money went towards some new tyres for my road bike, but putting an exhaust in the new year

TT Aero
9th September 2016, 10:55 AM
Hi Thefattymatty, I got it from a mate at Carline mufflers I didn't ask what brand but it sits nice and high like the Tiapan, drove the truck a bit yesterday out of traffic and the performance improvement is clearly there and worth the $$$ I'll fit a K&N filter in the next few days and will have the remap done in a couple of weeks I will probably fit a snorkel as well but that can wait

SCUBA Patrol
12th September 2016, 05:33 PM
OK so in South Africa, once your car is out of Waranty you are free to change....even loose the CAT.... :-) So I'm just curious, how does a high flow CAT work? does it not also restrict airflow? I'm planing in replacing the standard pipe with a 3" and free flo muffler at the back just to keep the noise down for th e cops in AFRICA>

TT Aero
12th September 2016, 06:15 PM
Hi SCUBA
The system I've had fitted doesn't have a CAT so it's 3" all the way, a high flow CAT will mate to a 3" pipe but will still have internal restriction unless it's removed leaving just a shell which of course won't pass an e test but it will give the appearance of being there and will flow well.

MEGOMONSTER
15th September 2016, 11:46 AM
I had a thread a few years back on my Trol.
With 3"taipan and chip. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enissanpatrol%2Eco m%2Eau%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D11588&share_tid=11588&share_fid=16273&share_type=t

Hope it helps.
I love how quiet they are.

TT Aero
22nd September 2016, 06:00 PM
Hi All

Had the ECU remapped today, the truck was run on the dyno to get a base reading then the ECU removed and remapped with a performance/economy tune then run on the dyno again before a road test.

The readout from the dyno is pretty impressive with torque up 47%, power up 30% and afr improved 47% and as you would expect from the dyno results the truck is a completely different beast to drive.

The roads were wet when I left the dyno centre so I immediately had to disengage the traction control then go easy with the accelerator to avoid breaking traction, the performance improvement is well beyond my expectation and has completely transformed the truck with usable power in all gears even from low revs, the truck has gone from a plodder where over taking was a task best left to others to quite a spirited performer with plenty of overtaking power on tap at highway speeds, I haven't done any towing yet so can't comment on that, I'll report fuel consumption figures after I do another trip.

It cost $1,000 which I thought was good value.

Here's a copy of the dyno results don't forget the truck has 3" exhaust.

Cheers
John

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72824&stc=1 (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tommo560/media/IMG_zpsdzey3mxj.jpg.html)

growler2058
22nd September 2016, 06:55 PM
Was that a grand for the tune?

threedogs
22nd September 2016, 07:11 PM
With a DP chip and 3" system my HP goes up to about 155HP.
I love the performance, Been driving around with OD off, got
to say I think Im getting better mileage this way, lol

162 HP is nothing to laugh at either @TTaero

TT Aero
22nd September 2016, 10:16 PM
Was that a grand for the tune?

Hi growler

Yep a grand for the tune and the same for the zaust so $2k total which is a lot but I think it's value.

foggs
23rd September 2016, 03:58 PM
Got mine done yesterday too, mine as was bit dearer, but 30% overall performance increase I'm very happy with, just gotta get used to the slight noise increase.
What year is your patrol TT and is it CRD? Wondering why my HP was so low to start with.

foggs
23rd September 2016, 04:54 PM
'For whats its worth, my old 3ltr Direct Injection had a straight through zorst with a hi flow cat and its not loud at all. Louder than with a muffler, but certainly not loud without. Just make sure you get a cat in the system, big fines if you are caught without the cat.

Wondering if anyone in WA has been checked and how much are the fines?

TT Aero
23rd September 2016, 05:00 PM
Got mine done yesterday too, mine as was bit dearer, but 30% overall performance increase I'm very happy with, just gotta get used to the slight noise increase.
What year is your patrol TT and is it CRD? Wondering why my HP was so low to start with.

Hi foggs Mine is CRD manual one year younger than yours with 3" exhaust, have you had yours upgraded? I think you'd have to be extremely unlucky to get caught without a cat in WA although that will change if annual rego inspections are introduced

foggs
23rd September 2016, 06:14 PM
Hi foggs Mine is CRD manual one year younger than yours with 3" exhaust, have you had yours upgraded? I think you'd have to be extremely unlucky to get caught without a cat in WA although that will change if annual rego inspections are introduced

Ah ok, yes I got the 3" exhaust with HPD manual boost control set to 18.2psi. Difference must be in the auto vs manual.

TT Aero
5th October 2016, 02:20 AM
Hi All

I've done some more city Ks and find that with no load on board on relatively flat ground first gear is redundant and with only a few revs second gear launch is effortless.

I did a short 380k trip out to the wheat belt today which took in the Perth Hills and undulating country in the wheat belt it involved some stop/start at roadworks and in country towns, after stopping I will often run to 4k through the gears so this trip was certainly not all highway cruising. Where possible I used fifth gear with cruise control set at a touch over 100kph which is about 2500 rpm even at that relatively slow speed I had to overtake a few vehicles and where I would have previously used fourth gear I was able to leave it in fifth and effortlessly accelerate up to 120kph to get the move done safely.

From fill up to home was 330ks and it used roughly 1/3 of a tank which equates to 9L/100Km, I know this is only a rough guide to its true economy and I'll do it properly next trip but I'm pleased with the result and at least I know I haven't just been willing it to be more economical.

ThefattymattymkII
5th October 2016, 04:54 PM
Hey TT I have had several mind changes as to what I am going to do I was considering a DP chip and taipan exhaust, I am going the right arse route now and getting a DEA 3" fitted on Friday for $800 which I think is a bargain, and found a place in Melbourne called horsepower factory that will tune my ECU for $1200 bucks but I will get that done after Christmas when I get more $$

TT Aero
26th October 2016, 02:28 AM
Hi All

I don't currently use the truck all that much so have just filled up again and can report that a tank full of stop start traffic motoring including short running to the shops and back plus a ridiculous amount of stationary warm up idling yielded just under 11L/100km.

I'm not unhappy for a moment and am confident I'll recoup the upgrade cost within the first year of touring with the van in tow.

Cheers
John

foggs
26th October 2016, 11:59 AM
On the contrary, my ECU remap and 3" exhaust has managed to do sfa with regards to fuel economy, I am a bit pissed as I expected something not nothing and currently at a loss. :(
I was getting 500Km out of 80L (16L/100km) before the remap and exhaust, and still getting the same 500km out of 80L after 2 fillups. The performance is definitely there and I'm very happy with that, but seriously don't know what is going on with fuel economy.
Was thinking to take it elsewhere, but the thought of spending more money on top of $2.5k doesn't gel well.

TT Aero
26th October 2016, 06:09 PM
foggs, was your vehicle run on a dyno and do you have a print out of the results showing afr before and after?

foggs
26th October 2016, 06:17 PM
Dyno tune was done, I posted a pic of it on page 2 post 16. Doesn't show the afr from what I can see. What is AFR btw?

TT Aero
26th October 2016, 08:18 PM
I've just compared the dyno print outs and about the only reliable comparison is air density, mine was done in fourth gear @ 31kph under full load and yours was done in third gear @ 53kph much higher in the rev range and out of the power band also your power is shown in KW and mine in HP but yours converts to ~129HP which is about where mine started.

AFR is air flow ratio which is a measure of the amount of fuel in the intake air and as you can see on my print out it has been leaned out considerably which has resulted in the improved economy.

All the research I did before having the remap done quoted improved economy as well as improved power, why not go back to the people who did yours and ask why your economy has not improved and see what they say, show them my print out if you like it's in the public domain for all to see.

foggs
27th October 2016, 03:40 PM
Thanks TT. I was going to give them a call and discuss, just wanted to see and make sure over a few fills that it was still the case.

TT Aero
12th November 2016, 12:13 AM
Hi All

Damn, I've used the truck so much a tank only lasted three weeks :) being away for a week probably helped anyway 680ks on 75L which is a touch over 11L/100Km, I'm impressed because over 100ks of that was with a loaded car trailer attached.

While I was away I was told about a device called ScanGuage 2 that can read and reset computer codes so if for any reason the truck goes into limp home mode it can be easily reset, considering that our intention is to get well away from civilization I decided to buy one.

I bought it for the code reset capability but it does way more than that, it has a digital readout that monitors everything controlled by the ecu and then calculates it and gives a readout of lots of stuff I had no idea I needed and in reality probably don't but I'm sure 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' will be delighted to see and pay particular attention to the distance to empty. :(

There is discussion about it elsewhere on the forum but here's a link to what I've bought anyway, if you scroll down it shows all the things it can do, I'll let you know what I think of it once it arrives and I fit it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251627828771

RTF
7th February 2017, 07:46 AM
Hi All

Had the ECU remapped today, the truck was run on the dyno to get a base reading then the ECU removed and remapped with a performance/economy tune then run on the dyno again before a road test.

The readout from the dyno is pretty impressive with torque up 47%, power up 30% and afr improved 47% and as you would expect from the dyno results the truck is a completely different beast to drive.

The roads were wet when I left the dyno centre so I immediately had to disengage the traction control then go easy with the accelerator to avoid breaking traction, the performance improvement is well beyond my expectation and has completely transformed the truck with usable power in all gears even from low revs, the truck has gone from a plodder where over taking was a task best left to others to quite a spirited performer with plenty of overtaking power on tap at highway speeds, I haven't done any towing yet so can't comment on that, I'll report fuel consumption figures after I do another trip.

It cost $1,000 which I thought was good value.

Here's a copy of the dyno results don't forget the truck has 3" exhaust.

Cheers
John

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Tommo560/IMG_zpsdzey3mxj.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tommo560/media/IMG_zpsdzey3mxj.jpg.html)

Where did you get your remap done mate i would like to get mine done at the same place?

NissanGQ4.2
11th February 2017, 07:41 PM
Bump for RTF as the post went into moderation

TT Aero

TT Aero
11th February 2017, 11:31 PM
Hi RTF

The guy to talk to is Roger his contact details are at the top of the dyno sheet.

As for the ScanGuage it's a really useful bit of kit as I found out recently after filling the truck with unleaded 91 :o

After having the truck towed home and replacing the 91 with diesel and getting the engine going again the SkanGuage threw up two codes regarding the fuel system which I was able to clear saving me the embarrassment of explaining my brain fade to my mechanic.

I felt like an absolute goose doing that but at least I wasn't in the outback, it was a good lesson but it's actually pretty common with 10% of drivers getting caught out.

Cheers
John

TT Aero
21st February 2017, 11:41 AM
Hi All

I'm enjoying my new found performance but have given up treating it like a sports car and am driving it as I did prior to the remap last fill I was rewarded with 10.2LPH round town.

At this rate the upgrade will pay for itself many time over.

Cheers
John

TT Aero
2nd July 2017, 01:19 AM
Hi All

I was told the ScanGuage would give me a whole lot of data I never new I needed and it's true, I have it set to real time fuel consumption and whenever I'm off the throttle the reading is 0.00Lph, I've been involved in motorsport most of my life and in competition you're either on the gas or the brake, you coast you lose, so it's taken a while to train myself to coast to a stop but I'm seeing the benefit, some times on completion of a freeway run my average is in the mid 8Lph and last fill of 75L after round town running including towing a loaded 7x4 trailer my average was 9.8Lph.

Cheers
John

AB
11th August 2017, 01:34 PM
All done John :)