PDA

View Full Version : Having to pump accelerator to start

Pottypirate
1st September 2016, 08:27 AM
Gday
Well I just got my Patrol back from a full Engine recon TB45 and it still has an issue it had prior to rebuild. The first start in the morning and after its been sitting for awhile I need to pump the accelerator for it to start. This seems foreign to me with a FI engine. Where do I start? Fuel pump, spark plugs and leads. Anyone else come accross this problem? It will need a service at 1000kms so wanting to knock this problem on the head asap as ive just spent 8500 on the rebuild. Any suggestions

mudski
1st September 2016, 10:37 AM
The throttle position sensor might be shot? Which is mounted on the side of the throttle body.
With the ZD30 TPS, this is mounted on the pedal, theres a trick you can do to bring them back to life. Which is drill a small hole in the side of the TPS, and use some electronic parts cleaner and spray this in the hole and give the contacts a clean out.. Think of the contacts in a TPS like the contacts on a fuel sender. Works in a similar way. Sort of, but you get the drift...
But, if the TPS is shot I would think the car wouldn't run right the whole time. If you have yet, I would change over the plugs and leads first, the cheapest things, then look at the pump.
but its wierd how you have to pump the pedal when its fuel injected. Which makes me think the TPS.

Yendor
1st September 2016, 11:41 AM
Did the injectors get cleaned or tested?

I would connected a fuel pressure gauge and see what happens to fuel pressure after it's been sitting for awhile.

Yendor
1st September 2016, 11:51 AM
The throttle position sensor might be shot? Which is mounted on the side of the throttle body.
With the ZD30 TPS, this is mounted on the pedal, theres a trick you can do to bring them back to life. Which is drill a small hole in the side of the TPS, and use some electronic parts cleaner and spray this in the hole and give the contacts a clean out.. Think of the contacts in a TPS like the contacts on a fuel sender. Works in a similar way. Sort of, but you get the drift...
But, if the TPS is shot I would think the car wouldn't run right the whole time. If you have yet, I would change over the plugs and leads first, the cheapest things, then look at the pump.
but its wierd how you have to pump the pedal when its fuel injected. Which makes me think the TPS.

Most petrol EFI systems have a "clear flood mode" (not sure if Patrols do). If you push the accelerator pedal to the floor when cranking the ECU will either reduce injection pulses or cut them out altogether. This is to help clear a flooded engine.

I think if the OPs problem was a faulty TPS it would have trouble stating all the time as well as possible driving issues. But it still worth checking the TPS.

johno90
1st September 2016, 06:17 PM
Fuel rail looses pressure overnight..... pump should prime up when you switch the key on. If its not priming it can cause a dealy in fuel getting to the injectors.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pottypirate
1st September 2016, 08:08 PM
Okay thanks. I might start with plugs and leads just as im unsure when they were done last but I dont feel their the problems. Priming sounds probable. It runs fine with no fuel starve or missing etc. It does smell fuely once it starts after having to press the accelerator. What would cause a pump not to prime but run well otherwise?