PDA

View Full Version : Standard Steering wheel freeplay

Lawrence
1st September 2016, 08:24 AM
Hi fellows. The steering wheel of my gq has 1.5 inches of free play. The maximum in the manual is close to that. Its also similar in the GU. What would be considered average for a Patrol? I am thinking of adjusting the box, but my mechanic doesn't think I should as he believes once you adjust the box, it will start leaking.

mudski
1st September 2016, 10:42 AM
Sorry Lawrence I have never adjusted a steering box. Can't see why it would leak though. As the adjuster nut is at the top of the box isn't it?

mudnut
1st September 2016, 01:21 PM
Is that freeplay while the engine is running? The pressure from the power steering on mine seems to take up a bit of the freeplay. it is simple to adjust the nut on top of the box. Mark the position it is in now and adjust it a little bit at a time. Don't over tighten it as it need a bit of freeplay or you will cause the steering to lose its ability to swing back to centre.

threedogs
1st September 2016, 04:52 PM
With the motor off I have 10mm free movement lol

Lawrence
2nd September 2016, 04:59 AM
Is that freeplay while the engine is running? The pressure from the power steering on mine seems to take up a bit of the freeplay. it is simple to adjust the nut on top of the box. Mark the position it is in now and adjust it a little bit at a time. Don't over tighten it as it need a bit of freeplay or you will cause the steering to lose its ability to swing back to centre.

Freeplay with the engine off, although it doesn't really change with it on. I should measure it with it on. I am going to try and adjust it then.

Lawrence
2nd September 2016, 05:01 AM
With the motor off I have 10mm free movement lol

So I should aim at something near that then. Mine has been at 35mm for a long time though.

BigRAWesty
2nd September 2016, 06:04 AM
It's pretty easy to remove play in the steering box.
But first check the rubber joint is in good condition.
It's located about 200mm from the steering box and sometimes has a steel shroud over it..

If that's in good continue then onto the box.
Top of the box you'll see a nut with a stud out the top of it.
Just crack the nut and then wind the screw down.
Only go 1/4 turns.
And done remove all free play from the middle otherwise it becomes tight when turning.
Once your happy tighten the nut.

BigRAWesty
2nd September 2016, 06:05 AM
So I should aim at something near that then. Mine has been at 35mm for a long time though.
Don't aim for a number as such go by feel.

Lawrence
2nd September 2016, 06:48 AM
[QUOTE=bigguwesty;694401]It's pretty easy to remove play in the steering box.
It's located about 200mm from the steering box and sometimes has a steel shroud over it..

Only go 1/4 turns.
And done remove all free play from the middle otherwise it becomes tight when turning.
Once your happy tighten the nut.[/QUOT

Thanks. i will give that a go this weekend.

ToddD42
8th December 2016, 11:18 AM
It's pretty easy to remove play in the steering box.

Only go 1/4 turns.
Once your happy tighten the nut.

Sorry for the dig up but how do you prevent the nut from turning as you try and crack the screw - been trying to tighten mine but can't seem to crack the screw at all. I have caked it in inox and left it for a week but no luck... any thoughts?

BigRAWesty
8th December 2016, 11:48 AM
Sorry for the dig up but how do you prevent the nut from turning as you try and crack the screw - been trying to tighten mine but can't seem to crack the screw at all. I have caked it in inox and left it for a week but no luck... any thoughts?
All good mate.
Tbh I haven't had that issue..
I'd say the nut is stuck to the thread, so maybe with the nut just tight grab a long screw driver and give the screw a good smack with a hammer.
That should shock it loose..
I'm not sure is the thread can come our or not..

ToddD42
8th December 2016, 02:29 PM
Mmmm ok. I'll try give it a good shock as you said.

Thanks for your help matey!