PDA

View Full Version : Engine Conversion

Caledwvech
31st August 2016, 03:29 PM
Hey Guys,

Just a little bit of a question here. Sorry if it's been asked before, couldn't find any thread on it...

I have a GU Patrol with a lovely TB48 in it. I loves to use all my money in fuel. So been thinking about the whole conversion thing for a while and want to convert it to a TD42.

HOWEVER

I have the 5sp Auto gearbox in mine and to be honest I have never seen an auto TD42 (admittedly just looked over the last few months in carsales to see if there were any for sale). Is it possible to do the conversion? I realise that you would have to change the gearbox as well as the engine so it all matches etc.

Thanks! :)

threedogs
31st August 2016, 05:26 PM
yes you can have a 4.2 td auto

johno90
31st August 2016, 05:32 PM
In fact i think td42 + auto is the best combination you can have!! Some rare GQ's came factory with td42 and auto. As for the tb48 box fitting up im not sure, I know for fact the older gq tb42 box can fit up with starter hole mod but you have to use a factory td42 flexplate if its non turbs, if its factory turbo you can use a zd30 flexplate:)

jff45
1st September 2016, 07:31 AM
I think it's the contrary, the ZD flexplate fits the N/A TD42 but the factory turbo crank has a larger journal and wider PCD for the bolts. The turbo flexplate is a difficulty part to find because of that difference.

The biggest issue with the 5 speed auto is that it requires the TB48 ECU to function (unless you go to an expensive 3rd party controller) and I'm not sure it will work if the ECU isn't getting any engine info. My TB45E ECU is also required for my auto TCU to work with my TD42T engine but it's a lot less complicated than the 4.8.

I find the 4 speed auto works really well for me..

Caledwvech
1st September 2016, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Appreciated. And good news always helps.

In interesting point re the 5 speed jff45. I do like my 5sp and as I am setting it up as a tow vehicle for a caravan etc, would like to keep if possible. So maybe aftermarket it has to be....

mudski
1st September 2016, 09:41 AM
Contact Wholesale automatics. They do full 5spd auto converion kits now with an independant ECU for the auto so you can run the tip tronic shift with a TD or ZD. Since you have the box, I am sure they could sort you out with the rest to make it work.
I spoke with them at the 4x4 show and he told me the full conversion from manual to auto was 20K! I nearly fell over.

jay see
1st September 2016, 09:51 AM
I spoke with them at the 4x4 show and he told me the full conversion from manual to auto was 20K! I nearly fell over.

NEARLY......

I would have passed out..

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Caledwvech
1st September 2016, 12:53 PM
20k?? Good grief. Just as well I am already auto.....

mudski
1st September 2016, 02:06 PM
20k?? Good grief. Just as well I am already auto.....

Yeah I saw their ad in the 4WD Action mag. I was thinking maybe 8-10k??? I love my manual but as its a daily, auto would be nice, and watching them use the auto out in the bush made it more likeable. Then I found out the real cost. I'll stay manual.