PDA

View Full Version : Sagging driver seat.

Cuppa
31st August 2016, 10:45 AM
For the past couple of weeks I’ve been stuffed up by what a physio tells me is a slipped/bulging/herniated disc in my lower back. Whatever it is I wish it p*ss off & let me get back on with life!

Anyway, even though I already have one of those mesh lower back supports on my drivers seat, I’m finding that driving is about the most uncomfortable thing I can do because I think the seat cushion &/or the springs have sagged a bit. I already knew this was the case, just that my current situation has made it far more obvious. The seat came from an ST ute & had been ‘well used’. Got it when I swapped my original pair of seats for bucket seats.

So I’m wondering the best way to go. Get a thin but firm cushion to just put onto the seat to compensate for the sag, try to find a better drivers seat from a wreckers, or to get an upholsterer to renovate the seat I have. Appearance is of no concern as I have the seats permanently covered with Black Duck canvas covers. However I recall these were an extremely tight fit to put on & am concerned that reupholstery might make getting it back on impossible unless done very precisely. I’m also guessing that renovating might also be a very expensive option? ( & I certainly have no need to ‘do a Mego’).

Anyone else dealt with a similar seat problem? What did you do? Anyone use one of those ‘driver seat cushions’ (gel,memory foam etc) which sell for around $30 to $100? Anyone have any idea what it might cost just to get the foam & or springs of the section you sit on (not the back) brought back to original specs? Can this be done & just retain the original manky velour cover?

MB
31st August 2016, 11:08 AM
Hi Cuppa, sorry to hear about your back mate.
I bought one of these some years back for around $150 which may help you mate.

https://roho.com/product/products/cushions/adjustable-skin-protection/low-profile-single-compartment-cushion/

There is a premium version that has an additional valve for propping yourself to the desired angle if needed.

https://roho.com/product/products/cushions/adjustable-skin-protection-and-positioning/high-profile-quadtro-select-cushion/

Got mine from this place:
http://www.vhhe.com.au/

The beauty is you can take them anywhere, really good for flying cattle class too :-)

mudski
31st August 2016, 11:08 AM
I've been thinking of doing the same here as my drivers seat cushion, particularly the right side of it is flattened from getting in and out of the car. As my back is rooted and this doesn't help at all. I think i will see an auto upholsterer, when I get my car back lol,to get a quote, then see whats its worth for a new or better seat of a different brand. I think just going to the wreckers I would be just buying much of the same, a half rooted seat already. Unless I get something from a newer wreck...
Losely looking around at different seats there are these two...
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Sunscustoms/Reclinable-Bucket-Seats-/_i.html?_fsub=6471532013
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUTOTECNICA-SPORTS-RACING-SEAT-BLACK-NISSAN-GQ-GU-PATROL-D22-D40-NAVARA-TURBO-/131157533821?hash=item1e8999247d:g:n5QAAOxy7nNTPRM c

Quality wise may be questionable though...

Then you have the genuine Recaro seats that ARB sells. I'm too scare to think what they are worth.

Cuppa
31st August 2016, 11:32 AM
Hi Cuppa, sorry to hear about your back mate.
I bought one of these some years back for around $150 which may help you mate.

https://roho.com/product/products/cushions/adjustable-skin-protection/low-profile-single-compartment-cushion/

There is a premium version that has an additional valve for propping yourself to the desired angle if needed.

https://roho.com/product/products/cushions/adjustable-skin-protection-and-positioning/high-profile-quadtro-select-cushion/

Got mine from this place:
http://www.vhhe.com.au/

The beauty is you can take them anywhere, really good for flying cattle class too :-)

Thanks Mark, $150 I would have considered but $458 for a cushion is pretty hard to swallow!!

4bye4
31st August 2016, 11:34 AM
I am lucky to have a contact with a motor trimmer. If you can find a good one they can build up your seat and even add padding to suit you. I have had my seats recovered as the previuos owner had ciggy burns in the front seats, and the trimmer also added reinforcement pads to the edges where I slide in and out of the truck. I could give you his details but its a bit of a trip to get here.
Unfortunatly, like a lot of tradsmen these days, many motor trimmers are now just cover replacement robots.

Cuppa
31st August 2016, 12:06 PM
Mudski,
I had a similar (SAAS I think?) in the Troopy I had, came with the car. Fibreglass shell with cushions I think, & very high squabs. Was supremely uncomfortable & difficult to get in & out of.

Your motor trimmer would probably be ideal 4bye4, shame he’s not closer. Not ready to look at the big bickies for the good seats (eg. Recaro) yet.

I’m tossing up whether it may be worth just trying something like this (in conjunction with lumbar & neck supports which I already have?) or if it would just be throwing my money away. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Memory-Foam-Black-Car-Seat-Chair-Stress-Relief-Cushion-Pillow-Pad-Mat-For-Holden/301820989531?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3D022628d20819489894b 7f80afa71c114%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26 sd%3D301820985820

When my back improves I should remove the offending seat to suss out if the problem is springs or foam (or both).

jay see
31st August 2016, 12:21 PM
I had to get my driver's seat redone, the trimmer put in a fimer foam.
Maybe find a local guy and see what he can do first.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

MB
31st August 2016, 01:22 PM
Thanks Mark, $150 I would have considered but $458 for a cushion is pretty hard to swallow!!

Apologies for the bum steer Cuppa, pardon the pun ! Just rang the Mrs and she found the original package back home.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/405.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/406.jpg

Was $195 listed but by memory I got it cheaper than that. AB ended up getting one a few months later too for similar price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

threedogs
31st August 2016, 01:35 PM
If you want to retain to OE look then a decent Motor trimmer should be able to sculpt
an orthopedic seat to suit your needs, I take it you have canvas covers on your seats ATM
As you know I have a Stratos seat , anyway your injury can pay for a decent suspension seat.
Ive used all those inserts with pump up lumber etc they either push you too far forward or
made it way to tall mudski it would be great to run a harness but I dont think they are legal are they??

mudski
31st August 2016, 03:19 PM
If you want to retain to OE look then a decent Motor trimmer should be able to sculpt
an orthopedic seat to suit your needs, I take it you have canvas covers on your seats ATM
As you know I have a Stratos seat , anyway your injury can pay for a decent suspension seat.
Ive used all those inserts with pump up lumber etc they either push you too far forward or
made it way to tall mudski it would be great to run a harness but I dont think they are legal are they??

Nah John I couldn't think of anything worse by using a harness. Would be better in a crash for sure, but an absolute pain in the butt to get in and out of.

Winnie
31st August 2016, 03:24 PM
Would be pretty annoying offroad too when you are trying to move around to look over a crest or around a hairpin.

threedogs
31st August 2016, 04:36 PM
Cuppa surely there's a motor trimmer you can find in Ballarat.
Its number two for Hotrod cities must be plenty and good to.
Castlemaine would be No1

BigRAWesty
31st August 2016, 04:48 PM
The nissan seats come apart quite easily so imo a "rebuild" of the seat would be easy I woukd think..
As long as the strapping under it is in good order.
But is it the base?
And what will help?
I am looking at doing my seats as let's be honest, the stock seats are shoit..
The seats in the Getz were like milk crates so better than them but still not brilliant.
I'm thinking of going mostly dense foam to give good support but then throw 40mm of memory foam on top, then the wings of the high density stuff again to retain shape..
I'm hoping it'll give good support but still allow me to sink into the seat a little..
Know idea on cost lol, just thoughts.

But everyone has there own opinion on what's comfortable so I recommend getting to a foam supplier and trying a couple of different layers and planting the hinie on em to get a feel that's right for you..

gaddy
31st August 2016, 04:49 PM
Not long had some work done on the drivers seat , only had the sections that needed fixing done , right hand side of seat , both back and side bolsters replaced and retrimed ( leather ), as well as center of the base , rest of the seat was perfect still , pertty sure it was about $350 and matches perfectly,

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

threedogs
31st August 2016, 05:00 PM
From having Strato seats for over 500K I can say hands down you dont want
tall thigh bolsters, Something that keeps your shoulders in line would work.
If yo do go for a highish rh thigh bolster make it from some very hard wearing
material, But as you said so many different body sizes but thats what I would look at.
I love my Stratos but they are $$$$$$. I don't get in the Patrol by standing on the step
I put my left leg in and follow it from there LOL LOL

Cuppa
31st August 2016, 05:37 PM
Not long had some work done on the drivers seat , only had the sections that needed fixing done , right hand side of seat , both back and side bolsters replaced and retrimed ( leather ), as well as center of the base , rest of the seat was perfect still , pertty sure it was about $350 and matches perfectly,

Hmmm, if I just get some new foam (assuming the springs are ok) & keep the original ratty seat covering (as I’ll put the canvas cover back on) it might prove affordable if you got that, with leather re-trimming done for $350. Of course the trick is to find a trimmer who understands ergonomics rather than just being a foam ‘stuffer & coverer’.

TD, you’re right about the high thigh bolsters.That seat I had in the Troopy had them & I hated them with a vengeance.

Clunk
31st August 2016, 08:27 PM
I'm still trying to figure outbhow memory foam will help on seats..... beds yes but seats......

Anyway, When the time comes, I think I'll be getting mine re-upholstered

MB
1st September 2016, 01:32 AM
FWIW Cuppa, I recently had to replace a passengers side GU seat due to a corrugation rack rattle doing my head in ;-) The blokes at PApart kindly allowed me onsite to chose the absolute best of their stock, touchy/feel/squash/knee!
Only 4 bolts later in their carpark, 'near ST newish' I'm more than happy with the outcome, do need to do it all again soon for drivers side :-) !

mudski
1st September 2016, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know if the cover on the seat cushion just unclips or unhooks? So the cushion can be removed.
I havent got my car so i dont know.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
1st September 2016, 10:13 PM
Does anyone know if the cover on the seat cushion just unclips or unhooks? So the cushion can be removed.
I havent got my car so i dont know.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Pretty sure it all is clipped..
But there ring clips so you have to spread them a little

GeeYou8
2nd September 2016, 08:25 AM
The seats in the Getz were like milk crates so better than them but still not brilliant

The earlier Getz (05ish) had softer seats, the later ones (07ish) had ones made of concrete, the earlier cars were better all round IMO.
My GQ ute came with a Bostrom seat, very comfortable, without high sides, probably very expensive too.
Graham

BigRAWesty
2nd September 2016, 09:59 AM
The earlier Getz (05ish) had softer seats, the later ones (07ish) had ones made of concrete, the earlier cars were better all round IMO.
My GQ ute came with a Bostrom seat, very comfortable, without high sides, probably very expensive too.
Graham
Ours was an 07 I think..
Just before the first i30 come out..
Paid good money and value near halved when the i30 cone out..

Anyway..
I vote rebuild the seat..