View Full Version : Independant suspension

bazzaboy
31st August 2016, 09:25 AM
I was just reading an article in the on-line Unsealed mag ( issue #027 ). It was on the pro & cons of independent vs solid suspension. The article was swayed towards independent, probably due to their sponsors and the fact that the 4WD market is swinging towards more independent set-ups.

Their main pro arguments for the independent was that it's lighter and gives more ground clearance than some standard solid set-ups. They also suggested that independent was just as strong. I'm sorry, but I find that hard to believe, as I'm sure that solid will take a much greater impact and will survive.

The stupidity of their argument became apparent when they suggested that standard 4WD independent suspension was as strong as similar set-ups in some military style vehicles, Hummers and the like. The few Hummers I've looked at certainly have a much "beefer" independent set-up than most of the standard 4WD's on the market and therefor not a true comparison.

I have no issue with independent set-ups as they are fast becoming the "norm" in today's 4WD's. Perfect in a touring set-up as they are more comfortable to drive and reduce weight somewhat. I do have an issue with people "bagging" the solid set-ups as they are ideal for what they were designed for .... a strong reliable suspension that could take the bangs & knocks that a "hard core" 4WD would experience.

I hope that both suspension systems remain available in today's 4WD market for a long while to come, as there is a need for both.

mudnut
31st August 2016, 10:10 AM
An article that should settle any argument about the ruggedness of independent suspension. https://practicalmotoring.com.au/first-drive-car-review/y62-nissan-patrol-review-off-road/

Prick of a spot for the spare tyre as well.

PS, look at the wonderful amount of flex the IS gives. ;p

abw
31st August 2016, 12:14 PM
Was watching 4wd pro tips last night, and watched an 80 series cruiser (solid axles) effortlessly clammer up a steep rutted track. It was followed by an ifs colarado, which struggled, then went a bit harder for a second go. It ended up with a smashed a cv (or 2).

I used to own a Pajero, and I can tell you that having all 4 wheels on the ground matters (in spite of all the hype saying that lack of flex and lifting wheels doesn't matter any more because of you beaut modern traction aids)!

Winnie
31st August 2016, 12:53 PM
I was just reading an article in the on-line Unsealed mag ( issue #027 ). It was on the pro & cons of independent vs solid suspension. The article was swayed towards independent, probably due to their sponsors and the fact that the 4WD market is swinging towards more independent set-ups.

Their main pro arguments for the independent was that it's lighter and gives more ground clearance than some standard solid set-ups. They also suggested that independent was just as strong. I'm sorry, but I find that hard to believe, as I'm sure that solid will take a much greater impact and will survive.

The stupidity of their argument became apparent when they suggested that standard 4WD independent suspension was as strong as similar set-ups in some military style vehicles, Hummers and the like. The few Hummers I've looked at certainly have a much "beefer" independent set-up than most of the standard 4WD's on the market and therefor not a true comparison.

I have no issue with independent set-ups as they are fast becoming the "norm" in today's 4WD's. Perfect in a touring set-up as they are more comfortable to drive and reduce weight somewhat. I do have an issue with people "bagging" the solid set-ups as they are ideal for what they were designed for .... a strong reliable suspension that could take the bangs & knocks that a "hard core" 4WD would experience.

I hope that both suspension systems remain available in today's 4WD market for a long while to come, as there is a need for both.

What 4WD vehicles are still available with solid front axles? The GU Patrol, which is being discontinued. The Landcruiser 70 series, also being discontinued.
I'm not sure what else is available?

BigRAWesty
31st August 2016, 01:24 PM
All the leafy utes are solid rears but they look like twigs lol..
But no, can't think of any fully live setups.

Indapendent is the way of the future however imo it's not the suspension that's doing the work..
Soon we won't need lockers as the traction control these days is unreal.. who needs travel when the car will travel still crossed up and only 2 wheels touching...

The other big killer of live axles is the safety rating..
We all know the truth.. put a patrol against a bravo and see which ones driving away..
But on paper they simply can't get the star ratings..

threedogs
31st August 2016, 01:43 PM
The Mighty HUMVEE is independent on all 4 corners.
Not much stops them lol

You'll probably find in the higher end 4x4s that there are a heap
of electronic aid to cover there short comings.
I knew a guy with a full race prepared winch challenge Range Rover
probably cost him $200 odd ks, He was given a brand new Range
Rover to try on his track on his property. The new rangie did it faster
and easier, he couldnt believe it. I new Rangie was about $150k at the
time

Clunk
31st August 2016, 08:31 PM
What 4WD vehicles are still available with solid front axles? The GU Patrol, which is being discontinued. The Landcruiser 70 series, also being discontinued.
I'm not sure what else is available?
Jeep Wrangler?

GeeYou8
31st August 2016, 10:43 PM
How long before we have electric hub motors on all wheels with "smart" hydraulic (or other) suspension?
Graham

BigRAWesty
31st August 2016, 10:59 PM
Jeep Wrangler?
Talking about 4wds not shopping trollies

Clunk
31st August 2016, 11:50 PM
Talking about 4wds not shopping trollies
Says the wheezing GUrly 4 potter owner........ oh hang on, sorry I forgot it was your missus 4bee ;)

BigRAWesty
1st September 2016, 06:47 AM
Says the wheezing GUrly 4 potter owner........ oh hang on, sorry I forgot it was your missus 4bee ;)
That's right.....

threedogs
1st September 2016, 05:20 PM
Was watching 4wd pro tips last night, and watched an 80 series cruiser (solid axles) effortlessly clammer up a steep rutted track. It was followed by an ifs colarado, which struggled, then went a bit harder for a second go. It ended up with a smashed a cv (or 2).

I used to own a Pajero, and I can tell you that having all 4 wheels on the ground matters (in spite of all the hype saying that lack of flex and lifting wheels doesn't matter any more because of you beaut modern traction aids)!

If the 80s was red that was Dannys 4x4 from 4WD TV its running a LS1 and a beefed up wholesale automatic tranny
and no doubt has lockers front and rear. lol