PDA

View Full Version : GU 4.2ti aircon compressor bearing

cairns gu
29th August 2016, 06:06 AM
Gday folks, just wandering if anyone has a guide for changing the clutch bearing on a td42ti gu aircon compressor.

I've read a few threads about it but the links to the info I'm after seem to be outdated. Thanks for any help

Steve

MudRunnerTD
29th August 2016, 12:59 PM
Are you just chasing the idler bearing or the compressor bearing mate?

cairns gu
29th August 2016, 01:51 PM
Yeah the actual compressor bearing. Idler has been done.

Cheers,

Steve

cairns gu
29th August 2016, 02:18 PM
Also to clarify, the compressor noise only goes when the aircon is switched on. It's got the rumble of a worn bearing. Is replacing the compressor bearing likely to fix this or does it mean a new compressor?

cheers,

Steve

liftlid
29th August 2016, 03:25 PM
The clutch bearing spins all the time, is the noise there all the time? Mine will make a noise when you start the car with the ac on then it goes away.

mudski
29th August 2016, 03:52 PM
Yeah the actual compressor bearing. Idler has been done.

Cheers,

Steve

Its common for the 3ltr a/c compressors to chew out the idler brg in the pulley. Same would go for the TD compressor to I would assume. So with no belt on the pulley, how does the pulley spin? Nice and free, or does it sound and feel a bit rough?

cairns gu
29th August 2016, 04:15 PM
Sorry yeah the pulley has been done, it's fine. Just when the compressor engages the noise starts then starts and stops as the compressor switches on and off

mudski
29th August 2016, 04:29 PM
Yeah ok. Sounds like the compressor itself is shot. Could be a bearing, or even the vanes inside the compressor.??

cairns gu
29th August 2016, 04:56 PM
Yeah after having a bit of a look it probably is the compressor. It isn't real bad, just noticeable and the aircon is still cold so I'll just use it til it breaks. At least it's got it's own belt (not serpentine, shouldn't affect anything else if it seizes?)

MudRunnerTD
29th August 2016, 06:41 PM
yeah if it seizes just cut the belt off. I have seen a very comprehensive writeup on the internal bearing replacement. it needed to be pressed out and was an impressive writeup. Note sure what forum it was on though to be honest?

Hodge
31st August 2017, 07:45 PM
cairns gu
Hey mate I know it's been a year since this post but wondering how did you go with this?
I've had a noisy winding bearing coming since crossing a river few times several weeks ago ...
Today determined it's the AC .
Slight bearing noise is there but it goes louder when ac is flicked on.
Nissan want $1300 for the whole lot.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

cairns gu
13th May 2018, 10:41 AM
Sorry for the delay in replying mate, I haven't bothered fixing or replacing it yet and it hasn't got any worse. I'll probably just wait until it falls apart before I do anything.

cheers,

Steve

Hodge
13th May 2018, 02:35 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying mate, I haven't bothered fixing or replacing it yet and it hasn't got any worse. I'll probably just wait until it falls apart before I do anything.

cheers,

Steve

Cheers for the reply Steve.
I ended up replacing the whole unit as it got pretty bad, almost to the point of seizing up.
Cheers.

cairns gu
17th May 2018, 08:03 PM
Ah Ok fair enough, what did it end up costing you? Interested if there are numerous options. For instance I just replaced my starter motor for $160 when the original is $650

Hodge
17th May 2018, 09:28 PM
Ah Ok fair enough, what did it end up costing you? Interested if there are numerous options. For instance I just replaced my starter motor for $160 when the original is $650

Hey mate. I bought a Valeo Jaylec Unit, Model CM8310. They go for around $600-700 .
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-Y61-TB45-TD42-RD28T-10-97-11-02-NEW-DKS17CH-12V-Jaylec-CM8310-/162996702470

I got mine trade price through our diesel mechanic at work.

I got mine de-gassed, and then I unbolted the stuffed one & bolted up the new one my self, and then got it re-gassed by a aircon place. Saved some fitting labour coin, as they're not hard to fit.

cairns gu
9th January 2019, 11:59 AM
Well my compressor finally seized a couple months ago and looking at replacing it. The aircon man recommends replacing compressor, evaporator, tx valve, dryer everything for just over 2k. It did work before the compressor seized and being a tightwad I'm considering just replacing the compressor with an aftermarket cheapie from patrolapart for around $400 and getting it regassed. Any thoughts on how good those cheapies are and any other considerations?

cairns gu
4th February 2019, 04:29 PM

Ended up getting a shop to sort it out completely. New Compressor, Evaporator, TX valve and receiver dryer. So glad I did, this is the old evaporator and probably why it never seemed to blow much air through the vents. Now it's awesome, fan speed 1 is all I use. All up cost a bit over $1700 but money very well spent!

mudski
4th February 2019, 07:47 PM
Yeah wow! That obviously never had a clean in its life.