PDA

View Full Version : What about dash cams>???

threedogs
27th August 2016, 02:19 PM
Just thinking who's running a dash cam and how often,
I have one but dont use it daily ,,,maybe I should
I do use it if going away

garett
27th August 2016, 02:32 PM
yep use it all the time. the ones that only record when they sense a impact are next to useless in a patrol. so one that records all the time then you just pull the card after the accident would be my pick.

Hodge
27th August 2016, 02:33 PM
Mines on everytime car is running running on 5 minute loop. It also has bump sensor, if car is bumped while being OFF, it instantly begins recording.

Stropp
27th August 2016, 02:46 PM
yes mine records all the time and over writes, has bump sensor and movement sensor for instant record

Woof
27th August 2016, 03:20 PM
Same as Stroppy, some of the things you see Perth drivers do are just unbelievable

threedogs
27th August 2016, 04:54 PM
Yeah mine is similar , will turn on if someone is near, with night vision as well
great feature I reckon ,,,,,,Cost $60 about 4 years ago

jay see
27th August 2016, 08:20 PM
Same as Stroppy

Same here, but I have given up. After three units they all had different problems.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

sooty_10
27th August 2016, 08:39 PM
So what units do people recommend? HD? Can you actually read number plates in the videos? Do you use them also for 4x4 track recording?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

GeeYou8
27th August 2016, 09:14 PM
After several no fault accidents we have been looking at them for work cars. Our IT guy has found some that record front & rear with optional side views, GPS position & speed, OBD conditions (to see if the cars are being thrashed), they automatically upload to the server when they come into WiFi range at work.
They are quite a bit more expensive but this is probably how corporate vehicles will have to go.
Graham

jay see
27th August 2016, 10:34 PM
So what units do people recommend? HD? Can you actually read number plates in the videos? Do you use them also for 4x4 track recording?

Can't recommend a good one, but a HD is only good if you play it back on a HD screen which these days most are.
I've played it back on the HD flat screen at home and it looks brilliant.

Think there's a Facebook page on 4x4 dash cams...

https://youtu.be/woHYUy4Uv8k

Here is one from the last Dargo trip.

gubigfish
28th August 2016, 02:05 AM
theres a lot difference with these things and you would want to check the specs of the camera before buying them

Clunk
28th August 2016, 02:11 AM
http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/blackvue-dash-cams/blackvue-dr650gw-2ch-ir/

NissanGQ4.2
28th August 2016, 07:17 AM

Can't recommend as don't have one but if I had the money and was looking I would still look into these. http://nesscorporation.com/ness-cctv-2/ness-dvrs-all/dvrs-mobile/104-842.html

Not cheap compared 2 what most people have for recording but would be ideal for 4x4 track recording and accidents.

Edit: This is probably something like GeeYou8 company would be looking at

sooty_10
28th August 2016, 07:44 AM
Can't recommend as don't have one but if I had the money and was looking I would still look into these. http://nesscorporation.com/ness-cctv-2/ness-dvrs-all/dvrs-mobile/104-842.html

Not cheap compared 2 what most people have for recording but would be ideal for 4x4 track recording and accidents.

Edit: This is probably something like GeeYou8 company would be looking at
Nice I was only thinking today about some wifi capable video system for the patrol. I had my UHF aerial flogged the other night and some surveillance would have been handy. 8ch could hook up a whole bunch of cameras. 🤓🔫

sooty_10
28th August 2016, 07:47 AM
http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/blackvue-dash-cams/blackvue-dr650gw-2ch-ir/
Looks pretty full of features. Is this what you use? Do you find it lives up to the price tag?

NissanGQ4.2
28th August 2016, 08:34 AM
Nice I was only thinking today about some wifi capable video system for the patrol. I had my UHF aerial flogged the other night and some surveillance would have been handy. 8ch could hook up a whole bunch of cameras. 🤓🔫

If you look on there site you can get cheaper 4ch units but If you where 2 spend the money on 1 why wouldn't you just go 8 channel even if you only bought 1 or 2 camera's 2 start with at least you have the option 2 add on later.

Unfortunalty that site is only wholesale so can't get prices direct from them but easier enough 2 find a model you like and google for prices

threedogs
28th August 2016, 10:11 AM

That unit of mine isnt too bad great for doing 4x4 tracks. has audio as well.
As for reading number plates yes my unit does, Must start using it again,,,,lol
You can even record just walking along to if you want, but I have Go-pro thingy
for that, lol

Clunk
28th August 2016, 02:33 PM
Looks pretty full of features. Is this what you use? Do you find it lives up to the price tag?

Not what I use but I believe Stropp does (or similar) as do a couple of others in the WPC

threedogs
28th August 2016, 04:50 PM
Is there any law stating where you should put them ????
Like lower right side of windscreen>?

DX grunt
28th August 2016, 05:06 PM
This is the one I use.

http://www.sportgps.com.au/blackvue-dr650s-2ch.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw9IS-BRC4qZXagbLs6uMBEiQAYHBh-2jAeyRCJoixMRqp6KeHO46pGGt-rqEkJEM0NZRq9EoaAjBy8P8HAQ

It's got a front and back camera, and I've set it to go into parking mode when I'm away from the vehicle.

I've also chosen to 'black out' all the white writing, so it doesn't look so conspicuous.

Thankfully I haven't used it in anger, yet.

Rossco

Clunk
28th August 2016, 07:51 PM
Is there any law stating where you should put them ????
Like lower right side of windscreen>?
Just tuck it up behind the rear view mirror, then it's not going to get in the way of your vision

jay see
28th August 2016, 08:52 PM
Just tuck it up behind the rear view mirror, then it's not going to get in the way of your vision
Yep.
Not like some idiots, smack right in the middle of the windscreen.

Stropp
29th August 2016, 12:25 AM
Not what I use but I believe Stropp does (or similar) as do a couple of others in the WPC

Yes I have one and well worth the money in my opinion

threedogs
29th August 2016, 12:57 PM

Sounds like a great spot but with mine I may
need another mount to make it less bulky

threedogs
29th August 2016, 05:17 PM

I brought a different mount , so hopefully it will fit behind the rear view mirror.
Its cylindrical like the link, Audio is OK on it<<<<<<<<<

Brissieboy
30th August 2016, 03:27 PM
I believe it is illegal to have them where they are visible to the driver, so behind the mirror is OK. I have been told it is also illegal to have anything obstructing your view within any part of the windscreen that is covered by the wipers (that was by a TMR inspector while doing an inspection on a truck) but that only seems to be policed in heavy vehicles?? Go figure!
I have a Autocam GPS Ultra from OnsiteCameras which I have on all the time the vehicle is in use. Not cheap, but very good.
I am very happy with it, but it has a little quirk in my experience.
I have it set to auto-start with power on. When it is connected to the accessories circuit the power to it is connected as soon as you turn on the key, but removed when you turn it to start. If you wait a few seconds before starting (as required for the heaters in my diesel) the unit starts up but does not quite get into its recording mode. Now when it loses power when you start the engine, the unit shuts down and does not restart when the key is returned to the 'on' position as it should. If you wait until the unit gets into its normal recording mode than it works as expected. The problem is totally repeatable. I solved this issue by running it from the ignition circuit instead of accessories; that way there is no break in the power to the unit.