PDA

View Full Version : Adding an intercooler... hypothetically...

UncleFrosty
26th August 2016, 12:47 PM
Say, if I've hypothetically bought an XC brand intercooler after a rush of blood to the head, what do I need to keep in mind to fit to a non-IC TD42T (other than getting a spare bonnet in case I'm not as good as I think I am with a jigsaw/angle grinder?)
Cheers
Ross

mudski
26th August 2016, 12:55 PM
Size and port orientations of the IC will determine what you exactly need. Hoses and pipe to make up the plumbing side, Plus mounting the IC, how is that done? Too hard to say with the info provided.

threedogs
26th August 2016, 01:04 PM
Can you front mount an IC or is top the best option ?????

mudski
26th August 2016, 01:07 PM
Front mount is always the best, but not always the best too... Situation depending.

threedogs
26th August 2016, 01:21 PM
Id say there might be silicon hose kits on Ebay ,,just for your stuation.

UncleFrosty
26th August 2016, 02:43 PM
Apparently all is in the box - haven't checked yet. Is a top mount unit, so no front mount option easily available. (XC = CrossCountry) Are there major mech considerations that come from cooling the air ex-turbo on a 4.2? Fuel air mix? EGTs? (no gauges on mine atm)

Winnie
26th August 2016, 03:17 PM
EGTs will lower, which is good. Lower air temperature means the air is denser, more air means you can put more fuel in to make more power.
I have the Cross Country kit on my GQ and everything comes in the box to bolt it on.
You will have to cut the hole in the bonnet though which would be the hardest part. I gave a panel beater a slab of Crownies to do it for me.

gubigfish
26th August 2016, 03:22 PM
If you bought a cross country intercooler kit it will come with just about everything you want. Was it the ultimate one?

UncleFrosty
26th August 2016, 04:25 PM
Believe was ultimate - $2.5k or so if that matches.
Easy enough to fit yourself gubigfish?
Anything else you had to do post-fitting? Or any probs since fitting?
Mine very sluggish in hot weather, which is usually when I require it to do its hardest work unfortunately. Hoping the IC will help with this.

Winnie
26th August 2016, 04:34 PM
I fit mine by myself at home, easy as. It's literally bolt on, I think I had to drill two holes and that was it.

UncleFrosty
26th August 2016, 04:51 PM
Cheers Winnie. How much of the 120kW did the IC give you?

Winnie
26th August 2016, 04:57 PM
Not sure, I did the intercooler and upgraded turbo at the same time. I don't think an intercooler on its own is going to make a huge difference. You'll certainly realise the difference though.
It just allows you to put more diesel into the engine to make more power and keep the temps lower.

UncleFrosty
26th August 2016, 05:05 PM
Thanks again Winnie.
What "snail" did you upgrade to?

Winnie
26th August 2016, 05:17 PM
I'm using the Garrett GTX2863R, I like it.
I will be getting my new 12mm fuel pump very soon so that should liven it up a bit.

gubigfish
26th August 2016, 05:39 PM
Believe was ultimate - $2.5k or so if that matches.
Easy enough to fit yourself gubigfish?
Anything else you had to do post-fitting? Or any probs since fitting?
Mine very sluggish in hot weather, which is usually when I require it to do its hardest work unfortunately. Hoping the IC will help with this.

I had a mate help me and it was pretty easy. The only thing you might be missing is two studs on your firewall being an earlier GU without the intercooler from factory and there was 2 bolts on the front but they don't line up with the factory ones so we drilled 2 holes and used 2 nutserts to attach rather than the nut and bolt supplied by CC. The biggest issue is the cutting of the hole in the bonnet. I ended up taking that to a panel beater and got a cash job done.

I had my tuned after fitting it and was told it needed it because it was such a large IC you would get massive turbo lag.

UncleFrosty
26th August 2016, 05:48 PM
Yep. From the spec sheet of the full upgrade supplied when buying the IC, 12mm pump pushes it up closer to 150kW! Niiiiice.
I just couldn't justify the purchase at the time... pump swap, new turbo, new exhaust, IC, professionally installed. It'd be nice to do it all at once... but $$$.
I'd be interested to know how much more the new pump gets you.

UncleFrosty
26th August 2016, 05:53 PM
Cheers gubigfish! Will keep that in mind. Carton is cheap compared to my dodgy angle grinding - so will keep that in mind too!
You running boost and EGT gauges?

gubigfish
26th August 2016, 07:03 PM
Just an EGT gauge at this stage, Ill fit a boost gauge down the track, I'd rather put that money towards the 18G Turbo and a 4" in/out airbox :)