PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Splashbacks

10G
25th August 2016, 10:53 AM
Can I ask a question like this on this forum? I guess I can??

Anyone know anything about acrylic kitchen splashbacks?

I've been told you can't use them behind the cooktop as they are effected by heat from the cooktop. Makes sense.

But I saw on a manufacturers web site that their 6mm acrylic splashbacks can be used behind a cooktop. This is where I'd like info from those in the know. I reckon it would be a 50/50 proposition myself.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

This is the first and last kitchen I ever renovate, it just doesn't end.

garett
25th August 2016, 11:02 AM
dunno bout acrylic but we used glass when we did our kitchen. i'm not keen on acrylic near heat, it would go brittle over time

Stropp
25th August 2016, 11:34 AM
i have acrylic behin my cook top and no issues whatsoever, its not like it is right on the cooktop, mine is 2 inches back.

Cuppa
25th August 2016, 12:46 PM
, it just doesn't end.

I know what you mean...... & I haven’t even started building our kitchen yet! It’s next on the list when the bathroom is completed & I’ve finished the full height built in cupboards I’m currently making for the hallway & laundry. Interested in the acrylic though for both bathroom & the kitchen. I will need the kitchen splash back to be fairly close to a gas stovetop & have also seen conflicting info on eBay about it’s suitability.

I’m having an enforced break since last weekend, laid up with a stuffed back. 16mm 2400 x 1200 melamine (chipboard) sheets are heavy & unwieldy for me on my own. 2 built in double door cupboards finished (except for handles) & 4 more to go. I bought over $800 worth of melamine having never worked with the stuff before & am pleased with the results I’ve achieved. Time consuming without commercial machinery though (just a hand circular saw, a triton saw bench & a router) - non laminated material would be much quicker. Each cupboard is a ‘custom size’ & there’s a lot of stuffing around to ensure a reasonable chip free finish. (lots of double cuts). Without costing my time (something I have plenty of) I reckon I’m saving ⅔rds over what buying ‘flat pack’ stuff & getting it installed would cost. 2 days to make each cupboard carcass & a third day to make the doors & hang them & install the cupboard. Pretty happy with the results though. Building the kitchen cupboards should be easier. After that there’s still ......................... (depressingly large list deleted) heaps to do.

One day at a time brings it’s rewards when something is finished. :)

Without wanting to hijack 10G’s thread - on the topic of DIY kitchens - anyone have recommendations for cheap kitchen laminate bench top suppliers in/around Melbourne? Prices in Ballarat are crazy.

mudski
25th August 2016, 02:45 PM
Dunno about cheap but I used Marbut Postforming in Campbellfield. I did my entire kitchen and main bathroom with these guys. Everything is cut by a computer and exact to the mm. I just gave them the sizes and drew up designs, and they made it to suit. All vinyl wrapped doors. They look real good. I didn't really want to go "cheap" as such in the kitchen and main bathroom as we all know you get what you pay for. The kitchen is nearly 8 years old now, and the joins in the bench top you still cannot see the line or even feel it with your finger nail. My dads houses however, was build new, and the workmanship and quality in his kitchen is appalling.
If you want cheap I think theres some chinee group on eBay getting stuff custom made to the customer requirements in china and bringing it in. The lady at my local PO used them, saved her 5k on a 12k local quote but she did say that a lot of it didn't fit right and was out of spec to their drawings a bit on some things.

As for the OP. I guess acrylic is ok providing its not too close to the cooktop. I used glass for my kitchen...

Clunk
26th August 2016, 11:39 PM
From what Ive been told, you can use acrylic behind inverter and ceramic hobs, but not behind gas

Stropp
27th August 2016, 12:54 AM
From what Ive been told, you can use acrylic behind inverter and ceramic hobs, but not behind gas

Mine is gas, about 50 mm in front of the acrylic

Cuppa
27th August 2016, 10:21 AM
Duropal is advertised on eBay as suitable as a splashback with a gas stove. However there are a few requirements to be followed. This link may be of interest. I’m beginning to think I might stick to ceramic tiles in the kitchen. http://www.benchtopcity.com.au/site/DefaultSite/filesystem/documents/techInfo/Duropal/Duropal%20Pyroex%20Splashback%20Installation%20and %20Technical%20Guide.pdf

Clunk
27th August 2016, 03:00 PM
snip

I might stick to ceramic

Yep me too

10G
30th August 2016, 09:38 AM
I just had a look at this other stuff called Reflections Splashbacks, it's an aluminium backed panel with some sort of high heat resistant paint. Looks interesting. Supposed to be as nice looking as glass without the cost. Can be used behind any cooktop.

https://www.reflectionsplashback.com.au/

Cuppa
30th August 2016, 10:17 AM
Good find Matt, Thanks for posting it. I’m gonna order some samples.

10G
30th August 2016, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I've ordered some samples. The video looks like it's super easy to put up.