PDA

View Full Version : To much boost

Rex13
23rd August 2016, 04:54 PM
Hey all,
I have a 2002 gu zd30.
I have installed (about 6 months ago), catch can, boost and egt gaudes, 3" exhurst, dawes valve and needle valve.

All was going ok till yesterday, it is getting to much boost, was getting about 16 psi before safe mode cut in, now getting about 20psi plus.

I cannot work it out, help me please.

or if anyone knows someone close that can fix this for me please let me know. (Im in Maroubra/sydney)

Cheers

Phil

threedogs
23rd August 2016, 05:03 PM
Cant you back the Dawes valve off a tad to bring the boost down,
Have you done anything lately to produce the higher boost

Rex13
23rd August 2016, 05:23 PM
I have tried, backing off the dawes, doing it up, i have tried the same to the needle valve, nothing makes a difference.

It started doing while driving home yesterday

Its doing my head in.

mudski
23rd August 2016, 05:37 PM
So your hitting 20psi and no limp mode? Or getting limp mode?

Rex13
23rd August 2016, 05:40 PM
no limp mode at 20psi.

Before i was getting limp mode at 16psi

mudski
23rd August 2016, 05:45 PM
no limp mode at 20psi.

Before i was getting limp mode at 16psi

Tells me then your boost gauge may be faulty. Can you get a hold of another gauge?
20psi wont hurt the motor anyway. My GU was happily running at 25 psi day in day out, same the TD's GU.

Rex13
23rd August 2016, 05:55 PM
ill try and get one tomorrow and try it

Rex13
23rd August 2016, 07:51 PM
Just took it for a drive and it goes into limp mode now at 25psi.

Rex13
23rd August 2016, 08:01 PM
Now that it could be the gauge, which ill take back for a replacement, ill need to re-adjust the dawes/needle valves, can someone tell me the best way to do that as i cant find my instructions that came with them.

Cheers

mudski
23rd August 2016, 08:17 PM
Now that it could be the gauge, which ill take back for a replacement, ill need to re-adjust the dawes/needle valves, can someone tell me the best way to do that as i cant find my instructions that came with them.

Cheers
Send me your email via pm. Ill email the instructions to you.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Rex13
23rd August 2016, 08:26 PM
Pm sent

Thanks

Rex13
24th August 2016, 10:02 AM
Before i take the gauge back i played with the dawes/needle valves.
With the needle valve all the way in, and the dawes valve all but say 2 turns in it now runs better but could be better.
Only getting about 13psi (no limp mode)but want to try for 15psi.
Any ideas?

Rex13
24th August 2016, 10:39 AM
Just wound the dawes all the way in and no difference.
Then opened the needle valve a full turn and no differance.
Its a bit slubish down low but once revs get its better but still only 13psi

BigRAWesty
24th August 2016, 10:41 AM
The Di motors don't like fast spool so you have that issue..
Set up the dawes again, get it into 3rd gear about 1500rpm and floor it with the needle valve shut.
Set max boost to 15-16. That's stock..
On a factory turbo and ecu you can safely run 18psi, the ecu can supply correct air / fuel ratios for that boost..
Once higher you need to start looking at chips or remaps to correct the AFR.

Once your happy with max boost slowly wind out the needle valve untill the arm just starts to drop away from the limit screw.
This should be pretty close..

But it does sound odd and gauge related..
I'd unplug the line that feeds the gauge (both ends) and give it a good blow out incase you have a bit of crap blocking it..

Rex13
24th August 2016, 10:49 AM
Cant get more than 13psl

Rex13
24th August 2016, 10:50 AM
Could it be the dawes valve faulty?

mudski
24th August 2016, 11:42 AM
Cant get more than 13psl

Boost leak now by the sounds of it. Is it the original intercooler?

Rex13
24th August 2016, 11:44 AM
Boost leak now by the sounds of it. Is it the original intercooler?

Yes

I cant see any visable signs of it leaking

Rex13
24th August 2016, 11:46 AM
If its the intercooler would that make egt go high quiker?

mudski
24th August 2016, 11:54 AM
If its the intercooler would that make egt go high quiker?

Yeah more than likely. Low boost and too much fuel will make the egts be higher than normal. I'm gonna say your intercooler is leaking, thats why you can't reach boost. when your winding in the dawes to increase your boost, all its doing it pushing that extra boost out of where ever its leaking. But. Open the Dawes up and see if the spring inside hasn't bound up and the ball it seating right while your there.
Edit :
I'm a little confused now, first your boost was too high, now you cant get it high enough?

Rex13
24th August 2016, 12:25 PM
Dont worry im more confused than you mate.

Yer first it was getting to much boost, now that i wound in the dawes valve fully im getting 13psi with no limp mode and high egt at about 500 degrees

I cleaned the dawes valve yesterday but all seemed good.

Yeah more than likely. Low boost and too much fuel will make the egts be higher than normal. I'm gonna say your intercooler is leaking, thats why you can't reach boost. when your winding in the dawes to increase your boost, all its doing it pushing that extra boost out of where ever its leaking. But. Open the Dawes up and see if the spring inside hasn't bound up and the ball it seating right while your there.
Edit :
I'm a little confused now, first your boost was too high, now you cant get it high enough?

Rex13
24th August 2016, 12:52 PM
Ive looked at pricing for intercooler upgrades

Hpdiesel with fan $1295
Crosscountry with fan 1595

Anyone use these?

mudski
24th August 2016, 01:07 PM
Dont waste your coin. The ZD is no power house mate. You wont see enough return for $$$. I was using a cheap $400 IC and running 25psi no issues. Put the money into a better scoop. The OEM scoops are just too low and dont catch enough air.

Rex13
24th August 2016, 02:13 PM
Which cheapie are good ones?

Ive seen plenty on fleabay

Dont waste your coin. The ZD is no power house mate. You wont see enough return for $$$. I was using a cheap $400 IC and running 25psi no issues. Put the money into a better scoop. The OEM scoops are just too low and dont catch enough air.

threedogs
24th August 2016, 03:09 PM
Which cheapie are good ones?

Ive seen plenty on fleabay

Diesel Smart do a great tigged and pressure tested Intercooler.
Great service to boot ,,,,,,lol

BigRAWesty
24th August 2016, 03:38 PM
If you've got dawes right in surely you can hear the boost leak..
That thing woukd be humming..
If you can't hear the turbo or the squeal from the leak I'd be looking for a vacume leak on your actuator system..

When you start the car the turbo arm should lift straight up to the adjuster screw..

threedogs
24th August 2016, 03:56 PM
Ive looked at pricing for intercooler upgrades

Hpdiesel with fan $1295
Crosscountry with fan 1595

Anyone use these?

Dont go spending big $$$ on your IC as Mudski says its no power house, as quick as they are.
Things like a larger IC are a total waste of money,,money which could be spent elsewhere.
$500 should see you with a quality IC

Heres one for you tested to 60psi with 2 yrs warranty
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LARGE-INTERCOOLER-FOR-NISSAN-PATROL-GU-3-0TDI-ZD30-GU30DI-T-97-07-UPGRADE-/231853394276?hash=item35fb8a0964:g:wSQAAOSwhcJWIJf p

Rex13
24th August 2016, 04:55 PM
Ive never seen the actuator rod move. Open and close the needle valve with motor idling and it doesnt move.

Cant hear any leaks.

QUOTE=bigguwesty;693237]If you've got dawes right in surely you can hear the boost leak..
If you can't hear the turbo or the squeal from the leak I'd be looking for a vacume leak on your actuator system..

When you start the car the turbo arm should lift straight up to the adjuster screw..[/QUOTE]

mudski
24th August 2016, 05:08 PM
If you've got dawes right in surely you can hear the boost leak..

When you start the car the turbo arm should lift straight up to the adjuster screw..

You wont always hear a boost leak, its only 16 or so psi, plus with the engine noise going on it would be hard to hear.
To the op, test the intercooler first, then start from scratch with the dawes and needle valve setup. Otherwise you will just get yourself confused.

Rex13
24th August 2016, 05:12 PM
Hi Mark, i just sent you an email, do you have spare springs for the dawes valve, mine seemed a bit out of shape when i looked at it yesterday.

Cheers

Phil

QUOTE=mudski;693255]You wont always hear a boost leak, its only 16 or so psi, plus with the engine noise going on it would be hard to hear.
To the op, test the intercooler first, then start from scratch with the dawes and needle valve setup. Otherwise you will just get yourself confused.[/QUOTE]

BigRAWesty
24th August 2016, 05:33 PM
When the engine is off the vnt arm on the turbo will down..
Then when you start the engine it'll lift..
It's how the vacume vnt turbo works..

The reason for hearing the leak is you know the factory snail can make 25 psi. .
His dawes is right in so max boost. Still only making 13 psi..
That's one hell of a leak..

mudski
24th August 2016, 05:47 PM
When the engine is off the vnt arm on the turbo will down..
Then when you start the engine it'll lift..
It's how the vacume vnt turbo works..

The reason for hearing the leak is you know the factory snail can make 25 psi. .
His dawes is right in so max boost. Still only making 13 psi..
That's one hell of a leak..

Yeah still, depending on where the leak is too. My original IC in my ol'ZD was leaking and I couldn't hear it....

Email answered Phil....

Rex13
24th August 2016, 06:05 PM
If the arm doent go up or down with engine on or off whats that mean?

BigRAWesty
24th August 2016, 07:48 PM
If the arm doent go up or down with engine on or off whats that mean?
Vac leak, stuffed vac pump or possibly shot turbo vains..
Take the actuator off and see if the turbo vnt arm moves freely..
If not new turbo..

Rex13
24th August 2016, 08:20 PM
When i take the vac hose off the actuator there is suction on the hose.

Could the actuator be stuffed?

mudski
24th August 2016, 10:37 PM
I think your looking to hard into this right now. Test the IC first for leaks. Then worry about the next step.

Rex13
24th August 2016, 11:00 PM
How do i test ic?

Does a radiator repair shop do this?

Sorry for all the question, just want it fix, im sopose to be going away in 3 weeks.

QUOTE=mudski;693295]I think your looking to hard into this right now. Test the IC first for leaks. Then worry about the next step.[/QUOTE]

mudski
24th August 2016, 11:06 PM
Seal both end of the ic up with duct tape or the same. Then submerse the ic in water with the inlet and outlet above the water, then use a bike pump with one of those ball pump needle thingo's and push it through the tape and pump air into the ic. If you see bubbles then its leaking. Or just take it to a radiator mob....
You need to do one thing at a time otherwise you will just get lost in it all. Make sure the ic is good then move onto the next thing. Resetting the dawes and needle valves.

Rex13
24th August 2016, 11:15 PM
Sweet, thanks.

I cant do till friday, i let ya all know how i go.

Cheers

Seal both end of the ic up with duct tape or the same. Then submerse the ic in water with the inlet and outlet above the water, then use a bike pump with one of those ball pump needle thingo's and push it through the tape and pump air into the ic. If you see bubbles then its leaking. Or just take it to a radiator mob....
You need to do one thing at a time otherwise you will just get lost in it all. Make sure the ic is good then move onto the next thing. Resetting the dawes and needle valves.

Rex13
27th August 2016, 08:04 PM
Havent had chance to do anything yet, but i did do a test

100kph
3200 rpm
6 psi boost
420 egt
3rd gear (auto)

Does this sound right?

BigRAWesty
27th August 2016, 08:32 PM

100kph
3200 rpm
6 psi boost
420 egt
3rd gear (auto)

Does this sound right?
Na..
Should be closer to your max boost..
You need your max boost working properly first.. then work on your needle..
So your needle valve is definitely closed? FYI clockwise (looking from top) to close the valve.

threedogs
28th August 2016, 10:00 AM
In my Di Auto Im running about 14psi at 100kph 2000 rpm approx.
Im going to re do it now as Ill be driving with the OD off in the future

threedogs
28th August 2016, 10:28 AM

100kph
3200 rpm
6 psi boost
420 egt
3rd gear (auto)

Does this sound right?

All that shows is that you have low boost, As Kallen says you should be nearer to max boost, imo
Follow what Mudski is saying and see how you go, EG close needle and set Max boost, Normally
10-12psi @ 100 KPH and 2000 rpm

threedogs
28th August 2016, 10:31 AM
Yes

I cant see any visable signs of it leaking

If your IC is oily its leaking,
OOI do yo drive a manual or auto????

AB
28th August 2016, 07:45 PM
If your IC is oily its leaking, OOI do yo drive a manual or auto???? Auto as above td

Rex13
31st August 2016, 06:10 PM
Ic was leaking.

New one installed.

Still trying to sort out needle and dawes valve settings.

threedogs
1st September 2016, 01:17 PM
A new IC will make a heap of difference,
when its leaking you're only chasing your tail
with no end in sight lol