PDA

View Full Version : Car stuck in 4H/4L

ThefattymattymkII
23rd August 2016, 11:32 AM
Morning guys, just had a weekend exploring wallhalla on the weekend and the car is stuck in 4H and it is impossible to get back to 2H.I tried everything to get it back any one have any ideas what it may be? I did a few shallow water crossings but nothing above side steps. I was thinking maybe mud/water stuck in the transfer case somewhere? Has this happened to anyone else? Thank you in advance

threedogs
23rd August 2016, 11:36 AM
Try reversing for 10mtrs or so
You could have "wind up"

ThefattymattymkII
23rd August 2016, 11:43 AM
Thanks three dogs, I tried reversing with no joy, several occasions I even let it cool down, I am not quiet sure what "wind up" is though I had to drive it 200 kays in 4H up the freeway at 70 kays an hour, I pissed off a lot of truck drivers:oops::oops:

threedogs
23rd August 2016, 11:47 AM
Wind up is the pressure you get in the drive train whilst using 4wd,
reversing "unwinds" that pressure.
Driving in 4h wont do any damage as long as your hubs are "unlocked"

What are you driving BTW??

BillsGU
23rd August 2016, 12:07 PM
Just jack up a wheel. If you have wind up it will turn a bit once the weight is off it and release the tension in the drive train.

ThefattymattymkII
23rd August 2016, 01:50 PM
Sorry 2014 manual GU it is with Nissan at the moment it is a snapped spring in the transfer selector

ThefattymattymkII
23rd August 2016, 01:52 PM
$650 and not covered by warranty ouch

threedogs
23rd August 2016, 02:11 PM
I think thats a fair price seeing they have to remove it, big job
But at least you'll be back on the road again soon

bazzaboy
23rd August 2016, 04:41 PM
I'm glad your getting it sorted, but how the hell is that not warranty on a two year on vehicle? Bloody Nissan warranty! I'm surprised their still in business these days.

threedogs
23rd August 2016, 04:46 PM
I'm glad your getting it sorted, but how the hell is that not warranty on a two year on vehicle? Bloody Nissan warranty! I'm surprised their still in business these days.

Thats the first tranfer case spring that I know of since being here.
Yes it should be covered B*&^^Y Nissan

Clunk
23rd August 2016, 05:34 PM
Because he went offroad and did some water crossings

ThefattymattymkII
24th August 2016, 02:00 PM
I didn't tell mr Nissan it went off road, and I do live on a dirt road that is constantly muddy, not covered by warranty due to water in the rubber boot, the part they need is not in Australia, at least they got it back in 2H for me,

4bye4
24th August 2016, 02:17 PM
the part they need is not in Australia, at least they got it back in 2H for me, What a surprise. My works vehicles over the last two years have had, Kia injector pump-Singapore, Exhaust system-Korea, Merc Vito window switch-ebay, turbo, none in Aus so had a rebuild done in Qld, gearbox-Singapore. The closest part was an electric window winder from Adelaide for the Kia.
Sorry about the hijack, hope they get it in soon for you and you can get back on/off road.

GeeYou8
25th August 2016, 07:44 AM
I didn't tell mr Nissan it went off road, and I do live on a dirt road that is constantly muddy, not covered by warranty due to water in the rubber boot, the part they need is not in Australia, at least they got it back in 2H for me,
Well wouldn't the rubber boot be the part that failed under warranty?
Graham

UncleFrosty
25th August 2016, 07:57 PM
If you have the tools, and no need for 4x4, you could consider taking out front driveshaft to avoid annoying the truckies - if it ever happens again!
Try different dealers - I'm not entirely sure they can all see each others' stock levels. It may be Holden I'm thinking of here tho'.