PDA

View Full Version : GQ TB42E cracks in engine pipe. Exhaust leaks. Ticking sound in engine.

Arfa Brayne
22nd August 2016, 11:17 PM
Found a weird one - exhaust leak around manifold to engine pipe join. Thought it was a gasket, pulled the flange apart and sure enough - no gasket.
Re-fitted with a new gasket and WTF ? exhaust leak was worse. Definitely leaking around the flange.
Put a mirror and torch to check it out and spotted the flange welds cracked on the engine pipe.

Wondering how many others have struck this problem ? Could be the previous owner had the clutch replaced and the workshop did a rough job, especially considering the other parts damaged/not replaced properly and mounts not connected, but the welds on the genuine Nissan engine pipe were pretty so-so.

When I got it out and on the bench, the welds had cracked on the flange, the transition and the bottom bend. 20 minutes with a grinder and welder and all good again, but otherwise it would have been a new engine pipe. At least this one is now welded properly.

What a b!tch to remove. Sway bar, track rod, gearbox cross member all in the way. Everything rusted siezed (normal exhaust work) with tin heat/noise shields clipped on everywhere and bolts put in from the top when the chassis was bare and the body not yet fitted. ........C-MON !!
For anyone else, you can just get the engine pipe out if you remove the tin shields near the manifold flange, drop the suspension to full droop and remove the sway bar. Saves on removing the track rod and gearbox mount.

Hope this helps someone. - sorry, no pictures.

billyj
23rd August 2016, 04:42 PM
yep common for the engine pipe to crack at the flange, most treat it as an excuse to fit extractors

GQ TANK
13th September 2016, 01:17 PM
I have had ot happen a couple of times.

I had a flexi joint fitted just after the flange of the y piay it has not played up since

dom14
13th September 2016, 11:38 PM
I have had ot happen a couple of times.

I had a flexi joint fitted just after the flange of the y piay it has not played up since

Any chance of a picture or a link to those flexi joints mate?
Or a picture of the flexi joint you fitted would be great.
Thanx

threedogs
14th September 2016, 01:26 PM
I have 1mtr of 76mm SS flexi pipe here if any one has a need
I can cut in 200mm sections. will need to be fully welded
Arfa Brayne start saving for a set of extractors you will
acheive great gains from that and a 2.5 system,, lol

JME_GU
14th September 2016, 09:43 PM
Extractors are an easy option, but I have heard from more than one person that the extra heat radiated from the extractors had caused the failure of the aux battery. If you have an aux battery and get extractors, maybe get a battery box or insulating cover?

dom14
14th September 2016, 11:00 PM
Extractors are an easy option, but I have heard from more than one person that the extra heat radiated from the extractors had caused the failure of the aux battery. If you have an aux battery and get extractors, maybe get a battery box or insulating cover?

Yeah, a battery insulating cover is a good idea regardless of whether you have extractors or not, 'cos in outback temperatures the under bonnet space can get pretty damn hot. I'm planing to make my own using thin pieces of styrofoam, so it will double as a "shockabsorber" for the battery as well. :)
BTW, you can buy those heat wraps from fleabay and wrap the extractors to contain as much heat as possible inside the extractors.
I don't have extractors yet, but I bought a reel of those heat wraps anyway, 'cos I removed the shield that covers the factory exhaust manifold and I couldn't find it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Exhaust-Wrap-Heat-Resistant-15M-50mm-10-Stainless-Steel-Ties-2000F-Black-/252363033253?hash=item3ac2024aa5:g:H-4AAOSwdrRXGIoY

kbchez
14th September 2016, 11:02 PM
If You are worried about extra heat from the extractors then get some heat wrap for the exhaust system. you only need to wrap the extractors only. It also helps in getting the exhaust from the engine quicker, before it starts to cool. Exhaust wrap is also so used by alot race cars.

dom14
14th September 2016, 11:53 PM

Ok, cool. I thought we can buy them in desired lengths and they just come with clamp fitting to slide in and fit without having to weld.

I'm a bit lost here about how the flexi pipe manage the flexibility and airtightness while being able to weld it!
No argument it does, I just wonder how the flexi mesh manage that.

billyj
15th September 2016, 06:45 PM
https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1613872_10152198816566133_1219441937_n.jpg?oh=9acb 50fce6247ecf17d949c4001ce585&oe=5877DBE8

extractors wont hurt your aux battery, ive got a bloody turbo setup on my tb42e and the aux in the back corner of the engine bay and havent had an issue with my aux battery getting hot, but have melted a few rubber hoses and silicone joiners

Arfa Brayne
15th September 2016, 06:45 PM

Ta 3dogs
Fitted a nice set of extractors and 2.5inch system to my previous TB42 auto.= Surprised and Dissapointed at the result.
Found it reduced bottom end torque but not any power gain in the upper revs, possibly due to undersized LPG system.
No heat related problems, However it did result in a droning exhaust note.

threedogs
16th September 2016, 08:02 AM
Ok, cool. I thought we can buy them in desired lengths and they just come with clamp fitting to slide in and fit without having to weld.

I'm a bit lost here about how the flexi pipe manage to flexibility and airtightness while being able to weld it!
No argument it does, I just wonder how the flexi mesh manage that.

You could clamp I suppose.

JME_GU
16th September 2016, 10:36 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

extractors wont hurt your aux battery, ive got a bloody turbo setup on my tb42e and the aux in the back corner of the engine bay and havent had an issue with my aux battery getting hot, but have melted a few rubber hoses and silicone joiners

The problem is not with normal batteries, it's with AGM batteries, they are a lot more sensitive to heat

GQ TANK
3rd October 2016, 10:27 PM
Most exhaust joints can supply and fit a flexi joint. It cost me $70 to have a joint suooledand fitted

dom14
6th October 2016, 12:18 AM
The problem is not with normal batteries, it's with AGM batteries, they are a lot more sensitive to heat

We don't have to install AGMs under the bonnet, do we?!!!

dom14
6th October 2016, 12:20 AM
Most exhaust joints can supply and fit a flexi joint. It cost me $70 to have a joint suooledand fitted

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of DIY.
Exhaust places usually do a better and quicker job, and DIY doesn't necessarily save money either.
It's just the fun of doing a DIY. Not that fun when I screw up something though. :D

Irish
6th October 2016, 06:28 AM

You can get AGM's that are rated for under bonnet use.