PDA

View Full Version : Grenade Rebuild

Magician
22nd August 2016, 12:17 AM
Well after owning my 2001 3 litre turbo DI diesel for less than a week it blew.
On strip down piston 3 and 4 cracked (was still running pissing smoke).

So i have stripped her right down and brought the following
engine rebuild kit with Pistons, rings , bearings ETC i also got timing chain kit, glow plugs rear main seal also had the head tested shaved and rebuilt. Got new clutch and pressure plate as well as an egr plate. the injectors seemed fine but will probably try and fine someone to reco em or a kit to do it myself (anyone know of one ? )

so i bow to the experience of the members anything i have missed before i start

mudski
22nd August 2016, 09:41 AM
Well after owning my 2001 3 litre turbo DI diesel for less than a week it blew.
On strip down piston 3 and 4 cracked (was still running pissing smoke).

So i have stripped her right down and brought the following
engine rebuild kit with Pistons, rings , bearings ETC i also got timing chain kit, glow plugs rear main seal also had the head tested shaved and rebuilt. Got new clutch and pressure plate as well as an egr plate. the injectors seemed fine but will probably try and fine someone to reco em or a kit to do it myself (anyone know of one ? )

so i bow to the experience of the members anything i have missed before i start

AFAIK the DI squirters are not rebuildable. They are throw way. So just buy a new set. They can be had for around the $750 mark for a set.

4bye4
22nd August 2016, 10:25 AM
Install NADS and EGT gauge and boost gauge as you go. That way you will be ably to see how your rebuilt engine is going from the get go.

Magician
22nd August 2016, 05:20 PM
i dont know what an egt gauge is i assume the other one is s turbo boost gauge ? no idea what a nads is please excuse my ignorance

UncleFrosty
22nd August 2016, 05:34 PM
Hi Magician. From what I've seen elsewhere on forum...
EGT = exhaust gas temperature
NADS = Nissan Anti Detonation System(?) - see other threads...
Apparently 3.0s are famous for eng failure, but I'm running 4.2 n 4.5, so can't tell u from my own experience...
Cheers

UncleFrosty
22nd August 2016, 07:42 PM
Just by chance found an old thread on "grenading". Maybe some useful links there...
It's the last one on the General Discussions page.

Magician
22nd August 2016, 08:26 PM
on the last page of the GU forum ?

Woof
22nd August 2016, 08:52 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?479-3-0lt-GU-Patrols-Grenade-Facts&highlight=grenading

the godfather
22nd August 2016, 08:53 PM
one week, wow, that sucks.

Magician
23rd August 2016, 07:56 PM
Well at least i suppose i will be starting with a fully rebuilt engine plus new clutch etc .. Spent a k on a stereo for her didnt even get to fit it yet

UncleFrosty
25th August 2016, 07:36 PM
Thx for posting the link Doggy.
I haven't yet worked out how to edit my profile, let alone do tricky stuff like that!
(I will PM you one day for that tip...)
Cheers