PDA

View Full Version : TB42 Carby dizzy and coil wiring

Evil!
20th April 2011, 07:31 PM
hey everyone i need a answer to my wiring issues i have with my GQ TB42 carb model

so to start off since i bought it, its been running like a hairy goat iv owned it for 3-4 weeks and today just wouldnt run i know it needs a carby and thats on the way very soon but as for the coil setup its left me scratching my head

a simple idea is

twin blue wires go the negative side on coil
solid thick red wire goes to reducer block then to positive on coil
thick white wire with black strip goes to other side of reducer block and has two earth wires off that one with ballast resistor

in my opinion the wiring should be

white wire is running power from alternator which has to go through the 9v reducer to the + on coil
red wire is cranking wire that supply's 12v only while cranking to the + on coil
blue wires on - side of coil return back to the dizzy

please correct me if im wrong but thats how i would assume it should be setup??? the current setup seems arse about face

i need to know whats with the ballast resister on the alternator positive side on the 9v reducer block and why its earthed to the motor please

Evil!
20th April 2011, 09:11 PM
seriously someone can help me out need my truck running for long weekend or the misses is going to cut my balls off

Bigrig
20th April 2011, 09:14 PM
Hey mate - someone should be along to help where and when they can - bad timing with Easter for you and that's understood, however others are away also. Hopefully you'll get a response soon that helps.

Good luck with it!!!

Bigrig
20th April 2011, 11:28 PM
Tony!! Where are you boss?? LOL!

One for you me thinks!!

Silver
21st April 2011, 12:43 AM
hey everyone i need a answer to my wiring issues i have with my GQ TB42 carb model

so to start off since i bought it, its been running like a hairy goat iv owned it for 3-4 weeks and today just wouldnt run i know it needs a carby and thats on the way very soon but as for the coil setup its left me scratching my head

a simple idea is

twin blue wires go the negative side on coil = twin blue and pink to -ve side of coil.

solid thick red wire (from coil negative )goes to reducer block then to positive on coil = now this is where it gets ugly because of my pertronix I think, however what I see on mine is in addition to blue and pink, I have a wire which I think I installed, which is red and black, and which heads towards the points, actually to the plug near the power steering pump. Another wire comes back from that plug near the power steering pump, and goes to the ceramic resistor - the end closest to the firewall, where it shares a terminal with a black and white wire. At the radiator end of that ceramic resistor, twin red wires are attached and disappear into the wiring loom on the left inner guard. A red wire of about the same diameter is connected to the +ve side of my coil.

thick white wire with black strip goes to other side of reducer block and has two earth wires off that one with ballast resistor

in my opinion the wiring should be

white wire is running power from alternator which has to go through the 9v reducer to the + on coil
red wire is cranking wire that supply's 12v only while cranking to the + on coil
blue wires on - side of coil return back to the dizzy

please correct me if im wrong but thats how i would assume it should be setup??? the current setup seems arse about face

i need to know whats with the ballast resister on the alternator positive side on the 9v reducer block and why its earthed to the motor please

Righto, fair warning if this is wrong, you need to know I've had a couple of rumbos and am doing this by torchlight. I've also fitted a Pertronix system to replace the points, but that all happens up near the radiator and towards the dissy, so the wiring in the area you are looking at should be standard. I'll type what I see in mine in the text of your message above, Evil. Hope it helps, don't want you speaking in a squeaky voice.

My coil is a Bosch GT 40- oh yeah, TB42 in an 89 Mav.

Bigrig
21st April 2011, 12:50 AM
Righto, fair warning if this is wrong, you need to know I've had a couple of rumbos and am doing this by torchlight. I've also fitted a Pertronix system to replace the points, but that all happens up near the radiator and towards the dissy, so the wiring in the area you are looking at should be standard. I'll type what I see in mine in the text of your message above, Evil. Hope it helps, don't want you speaking in a squeaky voice.

My coil is a Bosch GT 40- oh yeah, TB42 in an 89 Mav.

Rum and torchlight? That's the way to tackle it mate!!! LOL ... top job on the assist though!

Silver
21st April 2011, 01:47 AM
Rum and torchlight? That's the way to tackle it mate!!! LOL ... top job on the assist though!

thanks Big Rig - and I exaggerated a bit, I got one of those long flouro under bonnet lights for my birthday, that clamps to the bonnet and it works a treat. However middle aged eyes still required a torch :-) for looking at some of the wires.

Off topic for this thread, however I found some of those black recovery hooks that are actually marked 4500kg WLL, which is an improvement on the ones I found at Autobarn. This is from a camping shop on Old Gympie Road just opposite Paisley Drive and next to a great fresh fish shop - which is where I was headed. I looked carefully at the name, however that part of the hard drive has perhaps been wiped by the rumbos. The shop has some 4wd drive accessory type stuff and wears an Opposite Lock label or two out the front. I think the shop is pretty new and they are still setting up to a degree.

Bigrig
21st April 2011, 01:57 AM
thanks Big Rig - and I exaggerated a bit, I got one of those long flouro under bonnet lights for my birthday, that clamps to the bonnet and it works a treat. However middle aged eyes still required a torch :-) for looking at some of the wires.

Off topic for this thread, however I found some of those black recovery hooks that are actually marked 4500kg WLL, which is an improvement on the ones I found at Autobarn. This is from a camping shop on Old Gympie Road just opposite Paisley Drive and next to a great fresh fish shop - which is where I was headed. I looked carefully at the name, however that part of the hard drive has perhaps been wiped by the rumbos. The shop has some 4wd drive accessory type stuff and wears an Opposite Lock label or two out the front. I think the shop is pretty new and they are still setting up to a degree.

Champion - thanks mate - that's up Lawnton way isn't it? Might take a run up there next week. I need to get a decent work light as well come to think of it ...

You right for the May trip? Be good to finally meet up and have a couple!!!

Silver
21st April 2011, 02:12 AM
Champion - thanks mate - that's up Lawnton way isn't it? Might take a run up there next week. I need to get a decent work light as well come to think of it ...

You right for the May trip? Be good to finally meet up and have a couple!!!

aiming to be right for the May trip if it is the last weekend. It is at Lawnton. I can pick up the hook for you and bring it along if that makes it easier? The bloke was a bit vague on price - mid $20s was as close as I narrowed it down because there was no price marked and it wasn't what I was after (having bought the autobarn ones). What are you going to attach it to?

I thought I got done over with the Outback Ideas recovery plates for the Mav from TJM at $130, as they had Prado ones for $80. However Outback Ideas plates at TJM for 70+ series tojos are $150 :-)))

Re the worklight, I am a big fan of LEDs for a lot of applications, however most are very directional, which is not always a plus. The one I was lucky enough to be given is 12v andhas a flouro in it and it is probably 3' long. Nice bright general light, and good under the tarp/ga2ebo for camping. Not so good for poking into tight spots :-( but then I have another for that.

Bigrig
21st April 2011, 10:56 AM
aiming to be right for the May trip if it is the last weekend. It is at Lawnton. I can pick up the hook for you and bring it along if that makes it easier? The bloke was a bit vague on price - mid $20s was as close as I narrowed it down because there was no price marked and it wasn't what I was after (having bought the autobarn ones). What are you going to attach it to?

I thought I got done over with the Outback Ideas recovery plates for the Mav from TJM at $130, as they had Prado ones for $80. However Outback Ideas plates at TJM for 70+ series tojos are $150 :-)))

Re the worklight, I am a big fan of LEDs for a lot of applications, however most are very directional, which is not always a plus. The one I was lucky enough to be given is 12v andhas a flouro in it and it is probably 3' long. Nice bright general light, and good under the tarp/ga2ebo for camping. Not so good for poking into tight spots :-( but then I have another for that.

Good stuff on all counts - look forward to catching up! Is your neighbor going to cone also?? Obviously more than welcome. Probably looking at 25+ people and 8 or more trucks at this stage!!!

Evil!
21st April 2011, 02:47 PM
ok guys its all sorted i wired it up the way i thought it should be and it worked but was running like dog balls still so i zipped down to supercrap to buy some new things

i bought a new coil (points bosch one) ,new cap and rotor button, new points they didnt have a listing for my tb42 so i got the one that looked the same and was (skyline and MQ/MK version), new wiring (to replace the hard cracked ones that where there), a ballast resistor for (safe measures and turned out the one previously fitted was actually not the right one) put it all together and away she went fired right up easy first go no winding and winding and waiting for something to happen just hit the key and the old girl came to life.