PDA

View Full Version : td42 has no idle

lotuscarlton
16th August 2016, 12:54 AM
Hi people, iam new to this , but have a problem with the idle on my td42 fitted in a nissan civilian motor home, it starts well hot or cold, no smoke, i have to turn up my hand throttle to make it idle, i can turn the idle screw up to make it idle but after about 2/3 hours of driving it wont idle again, so i repeat the process of turning the idle screw in again and after 2/3 hours but to no idle, so i have given up for now and turned the hand throttle up to make it idle, but doing this i have no exhaust brake any help or info would be great, i have removed the gorse filter from pump to eliminate fuel flow, thanks

threedogs
16th August 2016, 01:00 AM
Hi mate and welcome,,, when you get time pop over to the intros and tell us a
bit about yourself , no harm done just something the forum asks of us all.
As for your problem not many 4.2 boys on atm, but someone may be along
soon to help you out

Cuppa
16th August 2016, 10:33 AM
Most folk here won’t have an exhaust brake with their TD42 Patrols. I had a Civilian motorhome for many years, but with the earlier ED33 & yes, when you screw up the hand throttle, all it does is to depress the throttle pedal a bit more, just as if you put your foot on it, cutting out the exhaust brake. I well recall leaving our place & driving down the steep twisty dirt road having forgotten to back off the ‘hand throttle’ (cold start device) & reaching a tight corner without the usually very effective exhaust brake!

My (non expert) thinking is that the most likely ‘culprit’ is a fuel pump problem - either it’s in need of a rebuild/replacement, or it’s been adjusted incorrectly. I have no idea about the pump that you have, but the earlier Civilian pump (VE type) had three adjuster screws. Idle speed, Maximum speed (Full load) & Anti stall adjustments. If the full load adjuster (should have a lock wire on it) has been disturbed, this can effect the entire rev range. The anti stall adjustment needs the idle speed to be set first. You will likely have a different fuel pump, but I mention these things in case there is a similarity between pump adjustments on yours. If it is of any help I can copy the adjustment instructions from my manual, which may(?) assist in the process of adjusting yours.
It does caution owners that if the full load adjuster has been disturbed that a VE type pump tester is required to re-set it.

Others here may well be more familiar with the TD42 pumps, but whether the pumps fitted to NA Patrols are the same as fitted to the Civilians I don’t know, but you’d think they would be. For others here - the Civilians only ever had non turbo TD42’s as far as I know.

lotuscarlton
16th August 2016, 11:21 AM
thanks cuppa, iam just gona use the hand throttle for idle until i find out what is wrong, it may be it just needs setting up and a little more fuel, as it never smokes hot or cold