PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Jerrys on the Roof?

10G
15th August 2016, 06:48 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience carrying those 20litre plastic jerrys on their roof rack. I'm wondering when laid on the side, do they leak out the breather. I have 6 of the Sceptor ones made in Canada which are very good quality plastic ones.

Or any other way I could carry 2 20L jerrys outside the vehicle.

Thanks for any help.

liftlid
15th August 2016, 07:54 PM
Fill em with water and give it a try

jay see
15th August 2016, 08:26 PM
I've ran them once and they didn't leak, but they do balloon out just need to release pressure.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Woof
15th August 2016, 09:35 PM
You can purchase holders from ARB that bolt onto roof racks

10G
15th August 2016, 10:08 PM

Hey that's a good idea, good old common sense.

Thanks.

BillsGU
15th August 2016, 11:44 PM
Don't be like a lot of numbtees we come across and carry full cans all around Oz. Fill them at the last place you can possibly get fuel and then pour them into your tanks as soon as possible (like stopping for morning tea). Always plan to carry EMPTY cans whenever possible.

Sprock
15th August 2016, 11:54 PM
☝🏼️more common sense advice that is often not thought of by a lot of people , saves carrying full jerrycans unnecessarily, avoids heat expansion / pressure , leaking & making a mess & then losing the fuel which defeats the purpose of carrying the 'extra' fuel . Tip it into the main tank as soon as it will fit 👍🏼

MudRunnerTD
16th August 2016, 12:17 AM

you won't really get the same heat expansion as fuel though i would not have thought.

I have carried plastic fuel jerry not eh roof quite a few times. I make a point of tightening the caps with Multigrips before they go on the roof. make sure you have those multi grips to undo when you need to. as noted empty as soon as you can.

threedogs
16th August 2016, 12:36 AM
Protect them from rubbing on each other using carpet or rubber conveyor belt [thin]

caveman21
16th August 2016, 01:22 AM
Protect them from rubbing on each other using carpet or rubber conveyor belt [thin]

This is the key on rutted tracks good vibration protection and every stop give them a check that lids are tight , I ran 2 jerrys on a roofrack bracket and had a large syphon hose long enough to reach the tank without removal of jerrys and had 2 straps on each can .Done 8500km through the kimberlys for 3months no spillages

MudRunnerTD
16th August 2016, 09:16 AM
i made a box for the roof that fitted 3 jerry together fairly snug Empty. When i filled them it was very very snug. Strap through the 3 handles and ratchet down and there isn Zero chance of rubbing. this box has done the Madigan and the Central Simpson without a problem and i expect to still be using this set up for many years to come. Id have no hesitation going anywhere with it.

lucus30
16th August 2016, 09:32 AM
I used to run 4 plastic 10 litre's on the roof in a canvas bag to stop rub through. Only problem I had once was on one the lid wasn't sealing so had a bit of fuel leakage.
I'm sure if you made sure there were no leaks prior you'd be fine

10G
16th August 2016, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the experience guys. Did you guys run the Jerrys standing up normally, or on their backs (I guess it's the back) with the breather outlet facing down and the main outlet facing the sky?

That's how I'm hoping to mount them.

10G
16th August 2016, 10:57 AM
Actually I've been thinking about the 10L jerrys. They'll be easier to put up on the roof and I can access them all from the same side which means if I make a holder for them it would be easier to make. Plus they are lower, they'll be sitting up the correct way, they've got a lot going for them.

I used to have a trayback ute and I always stored my jerrys loosely. The logic being that if they can jiggle around a bit, they shouldn't just rub in the one spot. They'll rub, then jiggle around as I drive and then they should rub again in a different place. I reckon if you tie them up tightly, they'll just rub & rub in the in the one spot.

liftlid
16th August 2016, 11:07 AM
I use 2 of the squat 25 lt ones so I can stand them up or lay down if I wish, use ratchet straps to tie down as cam straps won't get tight enough,
As Darren mentioned tighten lids with grips and I also tape lids, no leaks, good cans don't leak

threedogs
16th August 2016, 12:34 PM
Just a question which is better metal jerry cans AS or approved plastic ones ???

Boinzo
16th August 2016, 01:11 PM
Hey 10G. I'm just back from a trip over the Simpson - up to Darwin - and across the Gulf back to Brisbane. Around 12000km. I had a single plastic 20L jerry on the roof, one of those yellow ones from BCF.
It was mostly empty, except when very remote as an emergency source.
At first I had it up-right - spouts skyward. But then I carried it on it's back with the spout down closest to rack. I simply used 2 ratchet straps to hold it down on my Rhino Pioneer platform via eye-bolts. I did up the main and breather just by hand. Never had a drop come out of either.
It makes a surprsingly big difference to fuel economy to have it standing up!

Thanks for the experience guys. Did you guys run the Jerrys standing up normally, or on their backs (I guess it's the back) with the breather outlet facing down and the main outlet facing the sky?

That's how I'm hoping to mount them.

10G
16th August 2016, 02:49 PM
Hey 10G. I'm just back from a trip over the Simpson - up to Darwin - and across the Gulf back to Brisbane. Around 12000km. I had a single plastic 20L jerry on the roof, one of those yellow ones from BCF.
It was mostly empty, except when very remote as an emergency source.
At first I had it up-right - spouts skyward. But then I carried it on it's back with the spout down closest to rack. I simply used 2 ratchet straps to hold it down on my Rhino Pioneer platform via eye-bolts. I did up the main and breather just by hand. Never had a drop come out of either.
It makes a surprsingly big difference to fuel economy to have it standing up!

Thanks Boinzo, that's good to know.

I see in your signature you have an 80L sub tank. Got any details on that??

jay see
16th August 2016, 03:11 PM

Thay are an aftermarket long-range sub tank around $1000 + fitment.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

10G
16th August 2016, 04:24 PM
I've only seen about 50 odd litre after market sub tanks, but I've not looked too hard. I wonder how low they sit??

Is the sub tank the side tank or the back tank?

schanmala
16th August 2016, 04:44 PM
I've only seen about 50 odd litre after market sub tanks, but I've not looked too hard. I wonder how low they sit??

Is the sub tank the side tank or the back tank?

A few places make/sell them. Brown davis, 4wd systems, Long ranger, ARB have plastic ones on the way etc

The subs are around 70-80L and sit on the side and don't hang too low.

http://thelongranger.com.au/nissan/patrol/gu/diesel

BigRAWesty
16th August 2016, 05:32 PM
Make a box which bolts to the roof rack. And then a simple tie down Threw the handles..
They won't move..

MudRunnerTD
16th August 2016, 11:16 PM
This is my Outback Touring Roof load.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/219.jpg

My rack is full length Alloy

There is an OzTent RV5 on the right side. A roof top bag with spare Tyre, parts, exhaust jack and some tools at the front.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/220.jpg

I made this box out of 19mm pine cause I had it. It's glued and screwed and should paint it but never have. The base spans full width to carry the load across the Alloy rack. Underneath the rack is some 70x19 spanning too and screwed up through the rack to clamp in position. She ain't going anywhere!!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/221.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/222.jpg

Ratchet strap through the handle and it's solid and no vibration at all.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/223.jpg

It works bloody well for 60lts. Of fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!

Boinzo
17th August 2016, 07:59 AM
My sub is a Brown Davis, as others mentioned. All up it's 76l. Doesn't sit low at all. For touring use it'd be hard to find somewhere gnarly enough to see it damaged. I had it installed as part of a big fit-out at TJM so got a good price. But yes they're around $1000 fitted. In QLD you need a blue label once you change fuel tank size too.

In reality I didn't need to put a Jerry on the roof, I think it was mostly for psychological reasons only!

Thanks Boinzo, that's good to know.

10G
17th August 2016, 09:52 AM
This is my Outback Touring Roof load.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/219.jpg

My rack is full length Alloy

There is an OzTent RV5 on the right side. A roof top bag with spare Tyre, parts, exhaust jack and some tools at the front.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/220.jpg

I made this box out of 19mm pine cause I had it. It's glued and screwed and should paint it but never have. The base spans full width to carry the load across the Alloy rack. Underneath the rack is some 70x19 spanning too and screwed up through the rack to clamp in position. She ain't going anywhere!!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/221.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/222.jpg

Ratchet strap through the handle and it's solid and no vibration at all.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/08/223.jpg

It works bloody well for 60lts. Of fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!

Hey thanks so much for this reply MudRunnerTD, I really appreciate you taking the time to post the photos and the write up, that's a great help.

You do what I'm planning on doing, but I was only thinking of 2 jerrys, maybe I'll go with 3 now.

You've all been fantastically helpful, thanks heaps.

threedogs
17th August 2016, 04:07 PM
Heres a TJM jerry holder dont worry about the other bits they were for a job I was doing.
Plus I have a Brown Davis 75 ltr sub tank and love it, Gives me about 1000-1200 range I would think
I would opt for either a main long range /sub or both in favour of carrying jerrys on the roof but thats
just me I suppose, Simmo may be different kettle of fish

10G
17th August 2016, 04:38 PM
In the long run I will upgrade one of my tanks, but ATM I have a squillion things I need to get before a trip coming up in a month.

I reckon someone smarter than me should make a double jerry can holder that bolts onto the rear of the Patrol somehow. That pic above looks like you've adapted the holder to bolt onto where the spare wheel sits on the rear door.

threedogs
17th August 2016, 05:24 PM
In the long run I will upgrade one of my tanks, but ATM I have a squillion things I need to get before a trip coming up in a month.

I reckon someone smarter than me should make a double jerry can holder that bolts onto the rear of the Patrol somehow. That pic above looks like you've adapted the holder to bolt onto where the spare wheel sits on the rear door.

You got it in one it was a favour for one of the guys at
TJM it was meant to fit the back door of a landrover 110
Its only 25kg approx so well under the weight of a spare
rim/tyre combo
MudRunnerTD whats in the white screw top plastic tub???

MudRunnerTD
17th August 2016, 06:45 PM
You got it in one it was a favour for one of the guys at
TJM it was meant to fit the back door of a landrover 110
Its only 25kg approx so well under the weight of a spare
rim/tyre combo
MudRunnerTD whats in the white screw top plastic tub???

Magic.

It's empty. I used it as a washing machine and worked great in the desert. Put your smaller in it with some washing powder and 2 or 3lts of water and drive all day and wringe out when you get to camp. Washing done. The agi movement all day washes everything really well. It was empty space on the roof so was perfect.

MudRunnerTD
17th August 2016, 06:48 PM
I have a 145lt LRA tank in the rear of the GUIV and a 30lt sub tank. My Madigan line trip used 205lts for the crossing.

threedogs
18th August 2016, 12:34 PM
Magic.

It's empty. I used it as a washing machine and worked great in the desert. Put your smaller in it with some washing powder and 2 or 3lts of water and drive all day and wringe out when you get to camp. Washing done. The agi movement all day washes everything really well. It was empty space on the roof so was perfect.

I have a similar drum I use best this ever ha ha

So with 175 ltrs can you do the Simmo In one hit
or take Jerry's just in case?

Sir Roofy
18th August 2016, 06:23 PM
Depends on which line you want to do
The madigan or the french line
The french line i used half a tank
Of a 146lt tank
The madigan including the Geo survey
Track was 200lts i took 250 from
Mount Dare and put the last 50l
In at Birdsville topped up there and drove to longreach. We didn't need as much fuel as we took. Only neededto take an extra 25ltrs not 75ltrs.

10G
21st October 2016, 11:07 AM
Thought I'd update this thread with how things ended up for me.

I built myself a small rack that holds 3 20l jerries and a 2KG gas bottle. It bolts to the roof rack.

We travelled almost 5000 ks over some rough stuff, in the cold and warm and not a drip out of the jerries. I put 19L's in the 20L jerries, I thought that was a wise idea.

Here's a pic ...