PDA

View Full Version : Mixing different velocities ok?

AB
12th August 2016, 08:53 PM
On our last trip I had to urgently put 1 litre of Castrol GTX diesel 15W 40 into my td42 which already had Penrite HPR diesel 20W 60.

I'm more then happy to dump the lot and start again but should I?

The Penrite was only put in 500km ago with new filters so should I just leave it or just keep the oil filters on and just dump it and start again?

Ben-e-boy
12th August 2016, 09:00 PM
From what I understand mixing viscosities is ok, preferably the same brand, people mix them to create their own for whatever reason. But if it were me I would dump it and stick with 15w40

Bush Ranger
12th August 2016, 09:06 PM
From what I have heard, it`s not the best to mix your oils and I`m gathering that includes different brands as well.

Clunk
12th August 2016, 09:09 PM
yep, I've heard mixed comments too, some say no don't mix, others say, yes it's ok............but all seem to say don't mix synthetic and non-synthetic

Bush Ranger
12th August 2016, 09:17 PM
yep, I've heard mixed comments too, some say no don't mix, others say, yes it's ok............but all seem to say don't mix synthetic and non-synthetic

I`ve heard not to go from synthetic oil to mineral oil as well. Must cause a problem of some sort.

AB
12th August 2016, 09:21 PM
I literally drove 500m so I am not stressed about what i have done to date just what I should do when my car is back on the road.

I haven't put on the forum what has happened yet and some might know but just waiting on a warranty claim before I tell you blokes...

Clunk
12th August 2016, 09:37 PM
I literally drove 500m so I am not stressed about what i have done to date just what I should do when my car is back on the road.

I haven't put on the forum what has happened yet and some might know but just waiting on a warranty claim before I tell you blokes...

your Redback Rooftop bag split and let in all the snow

the evil twin
12th August 2016, 11:43 PM
your Redback Rooftop bag split and let in all the snow

If he is chasing a Warranty claim from those rrseholes that make them there Redback Rooftop Bag he's royally screwed IMHO.

Never have any in stock, never arrive when ordered and they have a 100% record of denying every single claim to date

sooty_10
12th August 2016, 11:56 PM
I would doubt it would affect anything. When you do an oil change there is most likely a fair amount of old oil that is coating everything that doesn't drain unless you give it a flush and I doubt that would make much difference.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

jay see
13th August 2016, 02:12 AM
I would doubt it would affect anything. When you do an oil change there is most likely a fair amount of old oil that is coating everything that doesn't drain unless you give it a flush and I doubt that would make much difference.

Would have to agree with sooty here.
Your talking about small amounts.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Touses
13th August 2016, 08:46 AM

Is this yet another helpful post? the evil twin someone has kidnapped Clunk again. For fcuks sake don't pay the ransom this time!

threedogs
13th August 2016, 02:34 PM
AB dont you mean viscousities? , Ive only ever mixed if there was nothing else at the time.
But would drain and refill a soon as possible

taslucas
13th August 2016, 03:04 PM
Bugger the oil, Tell us more about the incident......

>>>tappin from tassie

mudski
13th August 2016, 04:18 PM
Bugger the oil, Tell us more about the incident......

>>>tappin from tassie

I'll pm you about the whole story.... :devilred:

mudnut
13th August 2016, 04:26 PM
Just accidentally PM everyone;}

Wizard52
13th August 2016, 06:01 PM

Agree. All oils are a blend anyway so a small amount of a different oil should not make any difference

happygu
13th August 2016, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't worry too much AB ... in only 300 k's, all the oil in a 4.2D is black as black - with unburnt carbon and soot, and this shows that it will be completely mixed together.

It is supposed to be changed every 5000 K's anyway.

Woof
13th August 2016, 08:36 PM
Know stuff all about oil but my motto has always been "if in doubt, throw it out"

garett
13th August 2016, 09:24 PM
i've been running my lawn mower on a mix of 10-30 and 15-40 for years ....

so long as they are both diesel oils should be fine wouldn't mix a petrol and diesel oil my self

AB
14th August 2016, 08:59 PM
Thanks for your help everyone, mixed answers which is interesting...It's the least of my worries at the moment so will cross this bridge in a couple of weeks hopefully.

jay see
14th August 2016, 09:36 PM

Hope it turns out in your favour mate.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Sprock
15th August 2016, 12:22 AM
For what it's worth I've topped up diffs with slightly different grades when I've been caught out & left it in , only ever done it in an engine once under similar circumstances to you the other weekend but it was drained & replaced when we got home . In my opinion oil is cheap - engines ain't , you're running high psi turbo & the whole engine is tuned right up - for the sake of $100 worth of oil I'd piss it off & start again .