PDA

View Full Version : Another GU drivers door problem.

Cuppa
8th August 2016, 09:08 PM
I replaced the drivers door lock mechanism with a new unit because I was concerned that it was on the way out after experiencing a couple of times when the key would not unlock it.

I couldn't see anything wrong with the old mechanism, & the key behaviour has remained much the same - ie need to turn it one way & then the other to unlock. Today I experienced the same problem which led me to replacing the mechanism. Put the key in to unlock the drivers door & couldn't turn the key at all, in either direction. Jiggling the key made no difference, I had to unlock the passenger door (key worked smooth & problem free), climb in & unlock the driver door from inside - whch worked perfectly normally. I then retried the key in the driver's door & it worked ok as it usually does for several locking/unlocking cycles, & then 'jammed' again.

Any thoughts as to what is going on?

growler2058
8th August 2016, 09:18 PM
Maybe the barrels getting worn out???

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

Cuppa
8th August 2016, 09:23 PM
Are barrels replaceable utilising the same key, or does replacement mean having to have a separate key just for the driver door.

If it is wearing out it doesn't say much for the quality of the barrel. I've had much older cars which have had far more use & have never had a barrel wear out before.

jay see
8th August 2016, 09:32 PM
I replaced the drivers door lock mechanism with a new unit because I was concerned that it was on the way out after experiencing a couple of times when the key would not unlock it.

I couldn't see anything wrong with the old mechanism, & the key behaviour has remained much the same - ie need to turn it one way & then the other to unlock. Today I experienced the same problem which led me to replacing the mechanism. Put the key in to unlock the drivers door & couldn't turn the key at all, in either direction. Jiggling the key made no difference, I had to unlock the passenger door (key worked smooth & problem free), climb in & unlock the driver door from inside - whch worked perfectly normally. I then retried the key in the driver's door & it worked ok as it usually does for several locking/unlocking cycles, & then 'jammed' again.

Any thoughts as to what is going on?
I've been experiencing the same thing. Not always but sometimes.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Dan02
8th August 2016, 09:58 PM
every now and then used to feel it catch when turning and yep had to do the jiggle etc, .. Ended up puting in central locking a few weeks ago so keyless now and its great.

UncleFrosty
9th August 2016, 11:14 AM
Had same prob with mine too. Changed mech too late tho = hours of fun.
Apologies if asking obvious...
Do you have a spare/master key? Maybe current key is worn?
I'm using a new-ish non-genuine key for the door/ignition, so this may be how I actually fixed prob after mech change - only vaguely recall getting it cut - it was a while back!

threedogs
9th August 2016, 01:10 PM
how old is the key it may be that worn its not picking up the small tumbler thinghies
A locksmith would be able to key it alike
Your key would have a number wouldn't it???

EDIT:: is this just a DX problem or does it effect other models??

threedogs
9th August 2016, 02:44 PM
If it is wearing out it doesn't say much for the quality of the barrel. I've had much older cars which have had far more use & have never had a barrel wear out before.

A sign of the times , things arent made to last these days its a recycle world we live in

jay see
9th August 2016, 03:42 PM
Mines a ST

Cuppa
9th August 2016, 04:57 PM
The key does look a bit worn, but my spare which is noticeably less worn gets the same result. Besides both keys operate the passenger door as smooth as.

Cuppa
9th August 2016, 05:23 PM
I just spoke to the parts dept & the service dept at my local Nissan dealership.

Cost of one new key barrel $110! $220 if I want both doors on the same key. (but still with a separate key for ignition).
“What are the possible causes of the problem I have?” “Don’t know mate I’ll put you through to the service departatment they should be able to help”

Asked service dept chap what possible causes there might be for being unable to turn the key in either direction from time to time, having told him that the lock mechanism had been changed.
Answer “I really couldn’t say mate, you’d have to book it in so we could take a look at it to work out what was going on”.

threedogs
9th August 2016, 05:27 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
sorry couldnt find anything wrong lol

UncleFrosty
9th August 2016, 07:16 PM
Was exactly the same with mine. All good in passenger door, eventually no-go in driver's.
Possibly due to a combination of wear in both key and pins in barrel.
Just measured my junked key against my "master" key via vernier. About 0.8mm difference (so 0.4 per side). Presumably this was enough to stop it working on old pins in driver's door.
Not sure how u get a master key if u don't have one tho'. No numbers on mine at all - possibly found in owner's manual???

jay see
9th August 2016, 07:20 PM
I better try the passenger door, don't think it works at all...

Wizard52
9th August 2016, 07:23 PM
In last couple of days I have the same problem but I just put it down to dust I have collected over last 15 weeks on the road. Will follow this thread with interest'

mudnut
9th August 2016, 08:02 PM
I have swapped the barrels from the passenger side in a Fairmont, many years ago. Don't know if is possible in a Patrol though.

growler2058
9th August 2016, 08:16 PM
Are barrels replaceable utilising the same key, or does replacement mean having to have a separate key just for the driver door.

Dunno mate? Are the linkages all firm compared to the passengers side?

Cuppa
9th August 2016, 09:20 PM
I had another look at my keys. The one I’ve been using since buying the car 5 years ago is one I had cut just after buying it. It was slightly thinner than the Nissan keys, & is more worn than the Nissan keys. Nevertheless it it operates the passenger door & ignition without issue. It also operates the driver door without issue most of the time.

Tonight I sprayed some dry lube into the drivers door key barrel & tried it with both the one I had cut & the two Nissan keys. Could not get any to jam up completely. Just once the ‘cut’ key jammed momentarily, but was ok with a small jiggle.

Despite what I said previously I am now thinking the issue could be either the key or the barrel (or both). The fact that the lube improved things suggests that the linkages are not the problem.

I have now relegated the ‘cut’ key to ‘emergency only’ status & will use one of the OE Nissan keys and see if the problem still occurs. It’s not a critical problem in as much as I can still get into the car & can open the drivers door from the inside if the key wont work.

Time will tell, but if the problem returns I’m reasonably confident that a new barrel & keys will sort it.

jay see
11th August 2016, 11:51 PM
I tried the key in the passenger side door today and it did absolutely nothing didn't move at all. My key is the original Nissan one I think nearly 20 years old and pretty worn out. Only seems to be a problem if I don't get the key in the hole straight, do I take care to line it up.

PRIGBY
16th August 2016, 12:34 AM
Try putting a little graphite powder into the lock mechanism (never use oil as this just collects dirt and gums up the mechanism). Work it into the barrel by pulling the key in and out a few times. This might help.

creosote54
16th August 2016, 10:02 AM
Have you tried a squirt of graphite powder into the barrel?

Wizard52
1st September 2016, 05:54 PM
Hi Cuppa
I also had exact same issue with driver's door as well and broken internal thingy.
I was out at Charleville during this last lot of rain (65mm over night) and it was freezing cold as well so was desperate to fix it. Sprayed some silicone on key several times and then a small amount into lock as I was inserting key. Presto-some black crap dribbled out of the lock as I inserted and removed key several times and it now works like a new one. Must have been dust and other crap that had built up over the years from using the key when not perfectly clean. Passenger door never had a problem.

Cuppa
1st September 2016, 09:33 PM
Thanks Wiz, I didn’t see any black crap, but since spraying some dry lube in a couple of weeks ago & switching to a (possibly) less worn key - her to tell much between them really, & paying attention to put the key in in a ‘positive fashion’ each time, I too haven’t had any further problem. It may become an issue again down the track, but for now I’m not worrying about it. I wonder if it’s an issue more common to Patrols used in dusty areas (mine came from the Red Centre).

threedogs
2nd September 2016, 05:55 PM
Just re-read through this can you put the passenger key hole thinghy
on the drivers door or are they a seperate part Number