PDA

View Full Version : best place in melbourne fore keys and remotes?

mattyk
5th August 2016, 08:46 PM
i have a 1998 tb45 TI gu and i want to get a spare key cut for under $100 bucks? and possibly the remote for better than $360 as i was quoted

wheres best place to go cheap but good?

im in knoxfield i'll travel i dont mind

cheers matt

happygu
5th August 2016, 11:00 PM
I would try Mr Minit in your local shopping centre.

Remotes for our Ford were around $90, and they give you instructions on how to code them in

Cuppa
6th August 2016, 09:28 AM
Wifes 2002 Mitsubishi Mirage needs a new key. No fancy buttons or batteries, just a key with a chip (transponder) molded into it’s plastic head.

Mr Minit, “We can copy an existing key - $187 & tell you how to code it to the car”

Local Mitsubishi dealer, “We can supply key, you take it to get cut & return to us & we’ll code it to the car .... & it comes with a warranty - $180 all up including what the key cutting will cost”.

A no brainer, as I reckon you’d be unlikely to get any warranty on a Mr Minit ‘copied’ transponder.

Mind you I wish I hadn’t taken to the worn key with a hacksaw to prove that it had no transponder in it! Didn’t find a transponder but having removed the plastic head the key would turn over the motor just fine, but it wouldn’t fire up. Put the single remaining undamaged key in & it fires up immediately. Wife had been warned by a locksmith that the keys *may* have a transponder in. “Nah” says I “Give it here & I’ll prove it”. Doh!

mudski
6th August 2016, 11:29 AM
Get the key code for you ignition from a Nissan dealer then find a locksmith who can cut using the code.
I made the mistake of using MrMinit and they were just cutting from am old key and they went through 5 blanks before the finally agreed with me that cutting from the code is best.
The locksmith i used also supplied a new chip for the NATS. Which i dont think you have in your Patrol.
OEM remotes are dear, best to ditch the oem setup and spend under 100dollars for an aftermarket kit which will work as expected, unlike the Nissan unit.
I cant remember the name of the locksmith i used but they are on high st in Preston.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk