PDA

View Full Version : Confused about model numbers/codes for Patrols

PRIGBY
4th August 2016, 12:16 AM
Hi All,
I'm just a little confused, so can anyone clarify the model codes/numbers for the Patrols. What I want to know is:
1. What does the MQ/GQ/GU actually stand for?
2. Does the Y60/Y61/Y62 relate to the MQ/GQ/GU codes in any way?
3. How do the manufactured years relate to the Y codes and the MQ/GQ/GU codes?
...and then we get the engine codes, but let's not go there just yet :-)
TIA
Paul

MudRunnerTD
4th August 2016, 01:07 AM
Y60 is the GQ Patrol - First Coil Cab. 1988 - 1998
Y61 is the GU Patrol - Current Old shape. 1998 through to 2016 with an few updates. biggest update on styling was in 2005 when the current shape was introduced in the GUIV.
Y62 is the New Patrol with the 5.6l V8 Petrol and IFS and IRS. Beast

The M series where the Leaf spring models before the GQ.

The GQ, GU means Nothing and is only used in Australia. All other countries use the Y60, Y61 references.

the evil twin
4th August 2016, 11:05 AM
snip...

The GQ, GU means Nothing and is only used in Australia. All other countries use the Y60, Y61 references.

True dat 'cept the GU is also referred to as the GR in Europe speak

threedogs
4th August 2016, 04:51 PM
Plus overseas there are models of the GU/GR not available here like
a short wheel base version of the wagon.

PRIGBY
5th August 2016, 01:20 AM
Thanks everyone for helping here. At least I can now go the correct discussion groups and not make a total ass of myself.

Bigcol
5th August 2016, 10:16 AM
it started with the G60 Patrol
thats what it was called world wide
(the G60 was also a model designation for the Landcruiser 60 series) and the Toyota's were using the numeral designation (40 series, 50 series, 60 series)
so when they updated to the Y160 to make it more "stylish" for the Australian market - they called them the MQ
then it was updated to the Y60 - GQ for Australia (also the beginning of the GR designation as it stood for GrandRoad)
then it was updated to the Y61 - GU for Australia (still having the GR designation in Europe & UK for the GrandRoad specifications)
then it was updated to the Y62 - and Nissan dropped the lettering designation

taslucas
5th August 2016, 10:26 AM
Is that y61 ment to be GU?

>>>tappin from tassie

threedogs
5th August 2016, 12:53 PM
it started with the G60 Patrol
thats what it was called world wide
(the G60 was also a model designation for the Landcruiser 60 series) and the Toyota's were using the numeral designation (40 series, 50 series, 60 series)
so when they updated to the Y160 to make it more "stylish" for the Australian market - they called them the MQ
then it was updated to the Y60 - GQ for Australia (also the beginning of the GR designation as it stood for GrandRoad)
then it was updated to the Y61 - GQ for Australia (still having the GR designation in Europe & UK for the GrandRoad specifications)
then it was updated to the Y62 - and Nissan dropped the lettering designation

There was one before the G60 I have the 1955 Australian road report on it, It was called a Nissan too and not a Datsun

Bigcol
8th August 2016, 06:43 PM
Is that y61 ment to be GU?

>>>tappin from tassie

well spotted - fixed

Bigcol
8th August 2016, 06:47 PM
in Australia they were all badged as Datsun - untill the 2nd generation of the MQ / MK - then they were badged as Nissans

taslucas
8th August 2016, 10:09 PM
A mate has a swb mq with both datsun and Nissan badges. Must have been trying to use up the left over datto badges during the transition lol

>>>tappin from tassie

janderson
8th August 2016, 11:29 PM
in Australia they were all badged as Datsun - untill the 2nd generation of the MQ / MK - then they were badged as Nissans

I had a G60 badged Nissan. Datsun was not on it anyware

Bigcol
1st September 2016, 12:21 AM
yeah, my cuz was telling me about the 3 x G60's he had

1 ute had Datsun (1976)
1 ute had Nissan (1968)
and MWB had Datsun (1974)