PDA

View Full Version : 94 model GQ PATROL wont start

robwalker
2nd August 2016, 08:28 PM
Hi only just bought a 94 model GQ PATROL with RB 30 motor. It wont start i put a new carburetor in, new fuel pump. I turn the key and it turns over just wont start? Any ideas. Not sure if its the fuel pump control unit near the accelerator pedal, tried wreckers in cairns everywhere couldnt get one i rung nissan genuine parts and they said they stop making them in 2012 and didnt say what to do. I checked the fuel pump fuse and thats all good

kbchez
2nd August 2016, 08:44 PM
Is there fuel at the carburator.
Is it a electric fuel pump.... Is it working..... If not... run a wire from the battery to fuel pump. If it works maybe bypass the stuff in the middle and run wire direct to fuel pump from key to fuel pump.... this is just an idea for you.

robwalker
2nd August 2016, 08:53 PM
Yes the fuel pump is working. When i turn the ignition on though i cant hear the pump. Which is why i thought it maybe electrical. But that might be an alright idea. Thanks mate i will look into that if no other option

taslucas
2nd August 2016, 09:08 PM
Can you see or smell fuel in the carby after cranking?
Splash some fuel down the carby and see if it fires.
Take a plug off and see if you have spark.
Check the plugs.
Pull a fuel line off after the pump and see if fuel pumps out while cranking.

>>>tappin from tassie

mudnut
2nd August 2016, 09:19 PM
The sight glass on front of the carby should be at the halfway dot. With the filter housing off look down the throat of the carby and see if the choke is working. With the choke butterfly pushed out of the way, manipulate the accelerator linkage and see if it pumps fuel into the engine.

The fuel control unit will also let the fuel pump run for five seconds so the oil pressure switch will take over to allow the pump to run.

robwalker
2nd August 2016, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys. So i put a bit of fuel down the carby it was running. Its got spark and plugs are good. When i look down the throat of the carby fuel slowly trickles out into the carby. It ran for a bit but when put cover on it stopped. getting late now so ill try in the tomorrow. I didnt realise that the pump started working just before your about to start it. Which butterfly did you say to push open? The one at the top or bottom ones?

mudnut
2nd August 2016, 10:37 PM
The choke butterfly is the top one. It nearly shuts off the airflow down the throat so that the vacuum created by the engine will suck more fuel into the engine so it will start and run. As the engine warms up, the choke will open. You should be able to push it open and watch as fuel is pumped into the engine when the linkage attached to the accelerator cable is pulled.

robwalker
3rd August 2016, 09:57 AM
Okay its running. Took it for test run and now the brakes have locked up. Cant push brake pedal in to hard

dom14
3rd August 2016, 08:46 PM
Okay its running. Took it for test run and now the brakes have locked up. Cant push brake pedal in to hard

How did you get it to start?
What did you mean by "Brakes have locked up"?!

robwalker
3rd August 2016, 10:44 PM
Well not sure but

robwalker
3rd August 2016, 10:59 PM
Well not sure but this morning i went took the cover off the carby turned the key so that i could hear the fuel pump for about 5 seconds then started the car up then it fired straight away so not sure if it was because new carby or what, but then left it run for a couple of minutes then put the cover back on then let it run for another 10. So then got in took it for a drive started off well but all of a sudden i notice i was having trouble taking off then when i tookmy foot off accelerator it slowed right down. I couldnt even push on brakes there was no give, bare in mind that im not a mechanic or know to much about this stuff so when i pulled up, i cracked the brake line just to let some fluid out and started from front left to front right then rear right to rear left then there was give in the brake then it drove home great. Did not realise till i got told today to start at the further brake then work your way to the closest and that i need to bleed the brakes now incase of air locks i think its called.???

dom14
4th August 2016, 01:41 AM
Well not sure but this morning i went took the cover off the carby turned the key so that i could hear the fuel pump for about 5 seconds then started the car up then it fired straight away so not sure if it was because new carby or what, but then left it run for a couple of minutes then put the cover back on then let it run for another 10. So then got in took it for a drive started off well but all of a sudden i notice i was having trouble taking off then when i tookmy foot off accelerator it slowed right down. I couldnt even push on brakes there was no give, bare in mind that im not a mechanic or know to much about this stuff so when i pulled up, i cracked the brake line just to let some fluid out and started from front left to front right then rear right to rear left then there was give in the brake then it drove home great. Did not realise till i got told today to start at the further brake then work your way to the closest and that i need to bleed the brakes now incase of air locks i think its called.???

There's a green wire with a red trace on it that goes to the(or come out of the) Fuel Pump Control Unit(little black box right below the fusefox, on driver's side, near the accelerator.
This green/red wire is the +12v that carries the power to the fuel pump.
Give direct battery +12v connection to that wire from anywhere, from fuse box or from battery using a wire.
Then start and drive the car and see if it goes well now.