View Full Version : Which mods first

Bentcrank
1st August 2016, 12:24 AM
Hi All,

Just after some opinions/options for some mods as my 2012 GU8 is due to come out of new car warranty soon.
These are my thoughts on mods in order.
1 catch can
2 EGR blank
3 3 inch exhaust ( Do i need dawes and needle valves to control boost in this model? Boost and EGT gauges?
4 2in suspension lift. Thinking Dobinson

TIA

GeeYou8
1st August 2016, 08:06 AM
I am in a similar position with mine.
I would have thought get the instruments in first so you can monitor changes, EGT probe means it is usually done with the exhaust (I am an Instrument Fitter by trade).
I had Dobinson springs in the GU2, same part number for left & right ended up with a list to starboard.
Graham

threedogs
1st August 2016, 01:54 PM
First mod would be to buy a Scan-gauge to monitor any
changes brought about by EG bigger exhaust, erg block

the evil twin
1st August 2016, 02:18 PM
1. Scangauge
2. Catch Can
3. Exhaust
4. EGR block (VNT adjust, Tillix or Dawes optional for this mod, entirely up to you)
5. Suspension

Bentcrank
3rd August 2016, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys, I was only thinking of adding the dawes as i have read that adding the bigger exhaust can cause over boost issues but on the other hand i have also heard that the CRD have better boost control and there is no need. Just a little confused. I guess i will get a scan gauge first and see what boost does with the bigger exhaust.

cheers

threedogs
3rd August 2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys, I was only thinking of adding the dawes as i have read that adding the bigger exhaust can cause over boost issues but on the other hand i have also heard that the CRD have better boost control and there is no need. Just a little confused. I guess i will get a scan gauge first and see what boost does with the bigger exhaust.

cheers

You might want to factor in another $400 for a fully tigged intercooler,
when your OE one shows signs of oil patches, chances are its leaking.
Im not convinced the larger IC will give you much more Bang for your Buck
for me its money that could be spent on say a front locker,, lol
The Beaudesert 2.75" seems to work very well on the CRD

the evil twin
3rd August 2016, 03:07 PM

cheers

Never seen an Exhaust cause boost hassles myself but EGR blank will do so more than 90% of the time.

I adjusted the the VNT on mine so never needed a manual boost control and it went gangbusters but a Tillix/Dawes will work also

Bentcrank
3rd August 2016, 03:41 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what is VNT and how is it adjusted?. Had a look at the Tillix valve kit. It looks the goods and has some good reviews. Do you recommend a boost gauge and EGT gauge to help in its setup or is a scan gauge adequate?

Bentcrank
3rd August 2016, 03:54 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what is VNT and how is it adjusted?. Had a look at the Tillix valve kit. It looks the goods and has some good reviews. Do you recommend a boost gauge and EGT gauge to help in its setup or is a scan gauge adequate?

the evil twin
3rd August 2016, 04:57 PM
VNT = Variable Nozzle TurboCharger.

The adjustment is outlined in the Nissan Bible in the Manuals Download section of the Forum.

I ran a VDO brand EGT and a Scanguage on my CRD Patrol and that was certainly all I ever needed.
EGT was on the dash beside the A pillar and Scangauge sat very nicely on top of the steering column.
Scangauge was usually set to display Manifold Air Pressure, Coolant Temp, Fuel Flow and Corrected Speed.

4bye4
3rd August 2016, 05:07 PM
I adjusted the the VNT on mine so never needed a manual boost control and it went gangbusters but a Tillix/Dawes will work also Hey ET did you physicaly do the adjustment yourself, cos it scares the P out of me that I will drop the clip or the nut and it will be all over. Also the book says between 1/3 and 1/2 a turn clockwise. How far did you turn your screw? If you do it, drive it and want to change it that area will be bloody hot IMO, or do I have to make any adjustments a couple of hours later?
Cheers Tony

threedogs
3rd August 2016, 05:46 PM
Last mod would be your suspension, after fitting dual batteries,, winch,, aux fuel tanks,, drawers,,,etc
Go get your patrol axles weighed and then any decent suspension supplier should be able to tailor
make a system to suit your needs.
Bentcrank what do you want your Patrol for,, full on 4x4 or just mild camping trips.?

the evil twin
4th August 2016, 11:08 AM
Hey ET did you physicaly do the adjustment yourself, cos it scares the P out of me that I will drop the clip or the nut and it will be all over. Also the book says between 1/3 and 1/2 a turn clockwise. How far did you turn your screw? If you do it, drive it and want to change it that area will be bloody hot IMO, or do I have to make any adjustments a couple of hours later?
Cheers Tony

Did it myself... yep that circlip is very nerve wracking but a good set of small needle nose pliers does the job.
I went 1/2 a turn and it was tickety boo.

Bentcrank
9th August 2016, 01:17 AM
Hey Threedogs, Ive done most of the mods you mentioned such as drawers, dual battery, full roof rack, bullbar ( no winch yet). Will be mainly used for shooting trips, camping and towing the van with the odd offroad 4x4 . I have air bags in the rear ATM and it is ok for towing but would be nice to upgrade the suspension in the future.

BigRAWesty
9th August 2016, 07:53 AM
Welcome mate.
I woukd follow ET'S list

1. Scangauge
2. Catch Can
3. Exhaust
4. EGR block (VNT adjust, Tillix or Dawes optional for this mod, entirely up to you)
5. Suspension

The egr block and larger exhaust can cause boost issues when cruzing..
Mine seems to have a lazy spot when coasting and when on the highway i see boost up to 30 psi. .
Tillix has fixed this.

Imo an egt gauge is a must..
Much better gauge of how hard the engine is working than water temp.