PDA

View Full Version : A newbie from Perth

PRIGBY
30th July 2016, 06:43 PM
Hi All,
I'm new to forums and have, in the past, been someone who trolls through posts just collecting background information (so I don't get into too much trouble out in the bush). However, this forum seems different and I'd like to get involved. So please, treat me gently... :-)

I'm onto my 3rd 4x4 now (all Patrols) so maybe not a novice but I certainly don't think I'm an expert by any means.

My first rig was an MQ (1980) SWB 3.3L diesel bought second hand from a friend in 1990 (he had it from new and had done about 190K kms) - I have been a diesel convert ever since. That vehicle was amazing - it was rough but tough and noisy and slow (4 gear manual) - but it never really let me down. I sold it at 360K kms, 20 years later and traveled extensively through the north of WA, NT and some of QLD and central Oz.

I replaced this with a 2008 ST manual diesel, which got written off in the hailstorm of 2010 - every panel damaged and only $10K kms on the clock and with lots of accessories. Someone will have bought a great vehicle, even if it didn't look pretty.

I now have a 2014 ST manual diesel, rigged out with a 50mm lift kit, ARB steel bar, front diff lock, long range tank, dual batteries, dual rear wheel carrier and snorkel. I plan to get out into the desert and focus on my photography when I get time off from work (or eventually retire...).

One of my main reasons for joining this forum was to get more information about my Patrol, so I don't get stranded out in the back blocks. However, perhaps we will meet lots of new people and have some adventures together in the future.
Cheers
Paul

threedogs
30th July 2016, 07:06 PM
Hello Paul and welcome to the forum we have a few photographers in the forum,, as well as a monthly photo comp
with different topics, so Jump in anytime you like ,,ask anything as well,, no dumb questions here, and most of all
ENJOY eh lol

Dan02
30th July 2016, 07:39 PM
Hey Paul
welcome to the forum,
cheers

4bye4
30th July 2016, 08:06 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.

Cuppa
30th July 2016, 08:22 PM
G'day paul, welcome to the forum. Hope to see your name in our monthly photo comp. ;)

TPC
30th July 2016, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the forum Paul, we all love seeing photos on here and the deserts can produce some great shots.
Feel free to ask anything, there are some clever guys on here that can usually help you out.

Bigcol
30th July 2016, 09:40 PM
G'day Paul, welcome to the forum

never be afraid to ask any and all questions

Dhuck
31st July 2016, 10:06 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

DX grunt
31st July 2016, 11:57 PM
Hi Paul

Welcome to another Sandgroper.

Take care out there

Rossco

SouthPaw
7th August 2016, 09:31 PM
Welcome, I'm new to here and from Perth as well, your definately more experienced than me haha! This forum does seem different than most other places, less hostile! anyway, i'm looking forward to seeing some photo's in the future.

Clunk
9th August 2016, 11:01 PM
g'day mate and welcome aboard