PDA

View Full Version : House Alarm VS Camera's

NissanGQ4.2
27th July 2016, 06:06 PM
Hi guys and girls,

Since our neighbor's house was ransacked about a month ago I've been debating on getting either a house alarm or camera's installed. So just wanted peoples thoughts on what they would or have done.

Cons of house alarm I can see are false alarms, and if their quick they can be in and out before anyone pays any attention 2 your alarm going off.

Can't think of any cons of camera's but i'm sure there is a downside.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Toddie

taslucas
27th July 2016, 06:13 PM
If you went for the alarm you could always fit dummy cameras too.

>>>tappin from tassie

NissanGQ4.2
27th July 2016, 06:19 PM
If you went for the alarm you could always fit dummy cameras too.

>>>tappin from tassie

Or the other way, at least with camera's if you get a clear pic of them and there known 2 the cops already you might have a better chance of getting some of your belongings back

threedogs
27th July 2016, 06:25 PM
A camera will give you evidence,
I have dummy PIR cameras in different places , when you're in
close enough the camera flashes red and scans from side to side till you leave the PIR area.
But found my dogs were the best alarm going barr none

Stropp
27th July 2016, 06:37 PM
yep dogs are the best deterant

UminaTroll
27th July 2016, 06:50 PM
Hi Mate,

I work in the security industry selling camera systems etc. Cameras are great for evidence but are not a huge deterrent because most crims will wear a hoodie or mask of some kind (unless they are really stupid) so you can use the camera to see that someone is there, maybe what kind of vehicle they were in if you have good perimeter cameras and what type of clothing they were wearing. The other issue is I have seen plenty of break ins where the cameras recorder has been stolen or vandalised too. The key is put the recorder somewhere where it is hard to find. Alarms are a great deterrent in built up areas but not great in the country areas where your neighbours are a distance away. If there are 2 houses next to each other, one with an alarm and one without they will go for the one without every time. You need to make sure you have a good loud siren outside and screamers inside the house.

What works well is where you use both in conjunction. You can have both the alarm and camera system come back to your mobile phone. If you get an alarm notification you can look at your cameras on your mobile and call the police if you see anything. There are also monitoring companies out there that can tap into your cameras and take a look if the alarm has been triggered and they will send a guard if required.

I hope this advice helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to know more about good brands to use etc...

Tony.

Plasnart
27th July 2016, 07:20 PM
^^^^
Yep friends of mine have cameras with direct movement alert and vision to their mobiles. Would be a pita if you had a cat or dog tho.

I always wonder why people dont install hidden cameras at waist height angled up. All coward crooks wear hoodies or caps when stealing someone else's hard earned. Absolute scum.

mudski
27th July 2016, 08:13 PM
If you go the alarm, pay for monitoring from a security company. Two houses across the road have house alarms and both constantly go off with false alarms. So who know if they are actually getting burged as all us neighbors ignore them now as we think the ususal...
At least if it monitored, security will contact you first before calling the fuz.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

katwoman
27th July 2016, 09:04 PM
Being rural, our only option for the machinery sheds ( which, sadly get hit regularly) is that we have trail cams set up, which are battery operated. There is not much on the market if theres no power. Also a mix of dummy cameras and real ones around the house. No alarms as our neighbours are too far away and would probably ignore them anyway. The cops told us last time that bats and shotty's are NOT acceptable...
The problem with the trail cams is the 15 sec delay on the sensor, and I'm not overly impressed with them.

mudski
27th July 2016, 09:11 PM
Being rural, our only option for the machinery sheds ( which, sadly get hit regularly) is that we have trail cams set up, which are battery operated. There is not much on the market if theres no power. Also a mix of dummy cameras and real ones around the house. No alarms as our neighbours are too far away and would probably ignore them anyway. The cops told us last time that bats and shotty's are NOT acceptable...
The problem with the trail cams is the 15 sec delay on the sensor, and I'm not overly impressed with them.
What about laying a few bear traps Kat? That'll stuff'em.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

sooty_10
27th July 2016, 09:27 PM
Should be able to get a trail cams with shorter delays Kat 15 secs is pretty horrid. My trail cam has a 1/2 sec initial trigger speed with 5 sec (adjustable) delay between photos / video re-trigger.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

jay see
27th July 2016, 10:41 PM
We've always had house alarms, with me doing nights for so many years it made sense. With all the sh!t going on around my area the panic button and home mode is the best feature and we always the home mode..

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

GeeYou8
28th July 2016, 08:40 AM
A camera system with alarm inputs & camera motion detect can send email to your mobile with pics, if you see something in the pics you can call the cops, or better still a neighbour. You want overt & covert cameras, can also upload video to cloud so if the recorder is nicked you still have video. You can set up which areas to detect motion on each camera. The Swann systems can be difficult to get working right, Vacron are easy to set up & make changes ($1000).
Put up a siren cover with a blue strobe on the bottom, your neighbours will comment on how good your alarm system is because it never false alarms like everyone else's. ($50)
A dog is still the best deterrent, it doesn't even need to be big.($20000 over its life).
Graham

threedogs
28th July 2016, 12:32 PM
One of my mates [policeman] caught a young kid in Essendon doing the wrong thing.
In his pocket was a piece of paper with every house that has a dog and those that dont.
Also had a huge amount of Ford car keys, this was back in the 80s though..
Dog everytime I say

Ben-e-boy
28th July 2016, 01:21 PM
Also had a huge amount of Ford car keys, this was back in the 80s though..

I would have eaten half a dozen paddle pops and saved the sticks to achieved the same thing :D thats the chosen key of our old ford paddock bashers